What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's about reach and NRL on GEM has a very ltd reach it seems compared to showing it on the main channel. We went from 25k+ and building for the Sunday game on main channel live to 3k on GEM delayed for the Sunday game in perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm not sure how the game still can't expand. If an extra team was brought in (say 2016) there would have to be a bye each round ..... and so still the same number of matches per round.

Our last hope it would seem! Not sure what the league or clubs would feel about the bye? Only other hope is tha the ninth game can be sold seperately at a later date or they use it for promotion of the code and give it to the ABC. All of the above seem unlikely but you never know with our crazy f**ed up sport!

El Diablo

Post Whore
It's about reach and NRL on GEM has a very ltd reach it seems compared to showing it on the main channel. We went from 25k+ and building for the Sunday game on main channel live to 3k on GEM delayed for the Sunday game in perth.

AFL in Sydney and Brisbane went from 7 and 10 to 7 Mate if that's any consolation

First Grade
TBH I am not so sure until I hear it from the horses mouth. If it is the game is going to have burnt some serious bridges over here after the NRL was involved in getting the WA govt to include a third home team dressing room in the new nib stadium development amongst other Govt support they are starting to pump into the game. It is hard to belive the ARLC will be so stupid as to throw all that work away, makes me think there is something going on that we are not yet aware of. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they announce no expansion but give the WARL a nod and wink to keep going with the Jnr stuff and Govt relationship and teh Pirates are brought in as the 17th team some time in the near future ala what happened with the last expansion and the GC.

296837-billion-reasons-to-smile.jpg

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ni...play-when-we-say/story-fndujljl-1226455294189

Horses Mouth mate sux hard.

As you can see the 5th bullet point says no extra clubs before 2017

Quidgybo

Bench
Horses Mouth mate sux hard.

As you can see the 5th bullet point says no extra clubs before 2017
An unattributed newspaper report is not the horses mouth. No such statement was made in the ARLC press conference or anywhere in the (single) ARLC press release. What has been said (by Grant) is that the networks saw no value in a 9th game. Nothing more has been said about whether that sees expansion off the table for the life of this deal or not.

For the record, the first four bullets points do appear in the ARLC press release as does the sixth item. The fifth bullet point is the only one not even mentioned in the press release.

http://www.nrl.com/billion-dollar-deal-secures-games-future/tabid/10871/newsid/69393/default.aspx

Leigh.

Last edited:
Sorry, how exactly is their 3 hour game working against them? In the all important "dollars per minute" measure?

What about the "% of fans that can watch their team for free" ratio? What about the "% of households where casual viewers can watch the game on saturdays" ratio. What about "available live and in HD" ratio. What about the "% of development markets covered" ratio.

And sorry, in what "reality" are they getting paid less? Their deal is $1253m, we are up to $1025m. What f**king "reality" are you living in mate?

LOL f**king trolls.

You're an idiot.

Tommax25

Bench
Seriously it is threads like this that make RL fans look like morons.

Here are the simple facts: Media must make money. They do that by pushing their priorities.
The ARLC must both find significant revenue lines AND please fans as much as possible.

It might surprise the pea brained in this thread but you will NEVER get everything you want. EVERYONE must win something and everyone must lose out.

What did we get?

- MONEY!!! - the most money we have ever had and there is more to get. MOST of our clubs - are presently unviable as it stands. They NEED the most money possible.
- Scheduling - a FAR more stable schedule for the year (20 Rounds ahead is huge)
- Coverage - nationwide
- Promotion - a significant portion in contra to promote our game

What did we give up?

- Live games - frankly - this matters far less than the couch potato's that are convinced. The reality is more ads equals MORE money for our game. My club and your club need money more than they need Live TV games
- entire season scheduling - lets be honest how many people would watch the cellar dwellers at the end of the season when they can't make the finals? We get enough scheduling to help clubs and fans plan.
- Night GF - personally I rather that but I understand it is said most RL fans want a day time one, except that more people watch the NRL GF at night.
- we get Nine - yep we have all felt ripped off at times but AFL fans complain about 7 - RL about 9 - the fan base on this site would complain whoever got the rights within months

Seriously people on here need to take a breath and realise RL just signed the biggest TV contract it has ever had AND could well still draw in more money than the AFL once the other media related contracts are finalised.

This is a HUGE positive for the game

I agree, but the thing that concerns me is the AFL deal. It seems they got almost everything they wanted, and at the very least got a lot more of the non-money items that we haven't gotten. Australian record (I believe) tv deal, with simulcasting on fox, with 4 live fta games (not sure if that was the same last deal), all games live somewhere, dedicated channel ect.

I don't like the non-money side of the NRL deal but I am looking at it like most are, that its the last payment of the debts from the Super League War and that the next deal is the start of something new. The money side is fine, and if the non-money side is the price we pay to be completely unfettered next rights deal then thats fine too.

Yep, really working against them. They have more money to spend on development and marketing of the game. Their clubs have better access to FTA and thus stronger pull to sponsors and fans...

AFL should be upset that they got a bigger deal whilst maintaining control over scheduling, having 6 of 9 games in the day time, and no Monday night games...

How do they cope?

Don't talk wank you sook.

Their money is to market and develop the game, but ours isn't?

Should we have 200 million less to do that with just to keep pathetic whiny bitches like you happy?

You're pathetic, if AFL is so superior to you, go follow it and take moffo with you.

gUt

Coach
Doesn't Cam Smith look handsome holding up that Shield. Just think, from 2014 we'll be able to watch him do it live and in HD!

First Grade
That's more out of the donkey's mouth! If and when Grant comes out with definately no new teams for 5 years and the WARL confirm they are closing down the bid then I will believe it, and best be ready for a major sook!

Greenberg said rugby league had "more blue sky ahead of it than any other sport" but admitted NRL expansion past the current 16 clubs will not happen under the new agreement.
"In the next five years it is about a national footprint, playing games in new markets and developing new markets rather than adding new teams," he said.
"At the moment almost every club is making a significant loss.
"Adding new teams to that is increasing that volume.
"Let's get the sustainability of our clubs right first, make sure we pay our players appropriately and then let's add to it after that."

Perth Red

Post Whore
you'd better believe it EA!

As for Greenburg, of course he is going to say that, he wants as much money for his club as he thinks he can get. Turkeys, Christmas and voting and all that.

TheRam

Coach
It is understood Channel Ten made a serious bid of $800 million for four games, all in prime time, nationally, on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights. This must have been a tempting offer, given Ten would be scheduling one more free-to-air game around Australia.
Presumably, any add-on by Fox Sports for the four games it would cover was less than $225 million, otherwise it would have equalled the combined Nine/Fox Sports deal of $1.025 billion and been an attractive proposition because of superior national coverage.

However, Fox Sports desperately wanted to retain its Saturday and Monday night monopoly and the Ten offer would have ended this.
Still, it raises questions that an ARLC spokesman could not answer and yesterday's press conference did not reveal the Nine/Fox Sports split of the $1.025 billion fee, unlike the AFL deal where the free-to-air and pay TV amounts were announced separately.
Assuming Fox Sports stumped up half the $1.025 billion paid, it raises the question why they would be willing to pay less than half this for daylight games. The answer could lie with the last-minute involvement in negotiations of Kim Williams, the boss of News Ltd which half owns Fox Sports, who may have gazumped Lachlan Murdoch, chairman of Ten and a director of News Corporation.

Rugby league now has control over its broadcasting destiny from the expiry of the five-year deal, meaning it can take advantage of technological changes that will allow it to sell games direct to the public.
The AFL is positioning itself for afl.com.au where they will produce their own games and sell to subscribers, cutting out pay TV, such as Foxtel, while retaining some games for free-to-air TV to satisfy anti-siphoning requirements.
Until yesterday, rugby league was prevented from doing so because News Ltd's merely had to equal any broadcasting offer made up to 2027 to win the rights.

Ok since no one here seems to be able to read properly it seems that I need to point out this little presumed fact. The 10 bid seems to have been only 4 games and docbrown seems to be skewing the facts a little, understandably to save a little face.​

But if this article is right, then for the Commission to just go belly up like they did is at best a display of complete amateurism and at worst an act of total corporate misconduct. As if they couldn't find at least another 200 mil from say Ch7, hell they probably could have gotten close to that from the ABC for the other 4 games FFS.​

What a disgrace.​

Valheru

Coach
One point that I forgot to mention was the night time GF. I have absolutely no problem with this. It is a public holiday in NSW and most years it will be a 6:15PM kick off QLD time meaning the kids can be in bed by 8:30.

Also, it is possible to have a BBQ for dinner as opposed to lunch.

First Grade
you'd better believe it EA!

As for Greenburg, of course he is going to say that, he wants as much money for his club as he thinks he can get. Turkeys, Christmas and voting and all that.

I think when being interviewed as a member of one of the negotiationg sub committees his comments were not based on the dogs rather on his position on the committee.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-21/nrl-tv-deal-suits-networks-over-viewers/4214002?section=sport

I want expansion teams as much as anyone but I am also a realist and can see it clear as day its not going to happen under this deal.