What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TWO new Brisbane teams

MugaB

Coach
B

Because they are NEVER getting in the NRl lol Have you seen how conservative the NRL is? You honestly think they have a cat in hells chance of been admitted when the NRL is so risk averse??? Id love for the NRl to have the money and the balls to admit a PNG side, Id love for PNG to have development pathways that means they could realistically be a Port Moresby club, Id love for them to have the wealth in their country to be financially viable. But sadly it aint so and wont be in my lifetime.

Cairns is Cowboys. They arent going to allow a rival club to set up base there.
Alright will see, and im telling you PVL wants QLD to be strong, that means more pathways into 1st grade VIA QLD, perth might be logical, but its not reasy, and is only dots on a map

Perth Red

Post Whore
and is only dots on a map
What does that even mean?

This dot has the following advantages:

Countries 4th biggest population centre - tick
strongest grassroots outside of NSW and Qlnd already producing first grade players- tick
NRL quality stadium - tick
Passionate fanbase - tick
millionaire investors - tick
Supportive Govt - tick
Useful TV timeslot - tick
Brand new market not eating into existing markets - tick
Increased national profile - tick

Not many business who were looking to grow would ignore that many ticks in the positive column!

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
Exactly. The NRL has left the "home away from home" games up to the clubs for way too long - there needs to be a determination from the NRL that we're gonna see X number of games in Perth per year & Y number of games in Adelaide, and Z number of games in New Zealand outside Auckland (once travel allows) - and MAKE IT HAPPEN.

That's a big part of groundwork for expansion teams there - building a following for the game.

This is the classic relocation strategy

Start with 3 games at that venue and grow to 6

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is the classic relocation strategy

Start with 3 games at that venue and grow to 6
that would assume the NRL has any strategy lol. Reality is these on the road games only happen because the venue is willing to pay the visiting team a significant amount of money to take a game there. Costs a govt around $300k to get an NRl team to move a game. Are you suggesting the NRL should pay this to ensure games are moved?

MugaB

Coach
What does that even mean?

This dot has the following advantages:

Countries 4th biggest population centre - tick
strongest grassroots outside of NSW and Qlnd already producing first grade players- tick
NRL quality stadium - tick
Passionate fanbase - tick
millionaire investors - tick
Supportive Govt - tick
Useful TV timeslot - tick
Brand new market not eating into existing markets - tick
Increased national profile - tick

Not many business who were looking to grow would ignore that many ticks in the positive column!
Strongest grass roots producing 1st grade players??? Mate half the NRL players are Polynesian, youve made WA 8 NRL players, who most have Polynesian backgrounds and would have played league wherever they had lived, just so happens waqa blake lived in perth etc..
And dots on a map means perth is worthy of a license purely coz it doesn't have a team, not because they are competitive enough in the lower tiers to do so..
I've said it for years, you'll get there, and i want to see a perth team return, its not right now though, get better coaches teaching fundamentals, and forget about a 13mil grant proping up an expansion team bid, the should be a club being competitive before a licence is handed out, the NRL won't be proping up a Melbourne storm type franchise, those days of flushing money away are gone

Perth Red

Post Whore
Strongest grass roots producing 1st grade players??? Mate half the NRL players are Polynesian, youve made WA 8 NRL players, who most have Polynesian backgrounds and would have played league wherever they had lived, just so happens waqa blake lived in perth etc..
And dots on a map means perth is worthy of a license purely coz it doesn't have a team, not because they are competitive enough in the lower tiers to do so..
I've said it for years, you'll get there, and i want to see a perth team return, its not right now though, get better coaches teaching fundamentals, and forget about a 13mil grant proping up an expansion team bid, the should be a club being competitive before a licence is handed out, the NRL won't be proping up a Melbourne storm type franchise, those days of flushing money away are gone
what does a strong grassroots have to do with nrl propping up storm? Storm didnt need money because they didnt have a grass roots. The two are totally different issues. I'm a lot less worried about the strength of our grass roots as to the importance for an nrl franchise to have strong financials. The grassroots n WA will grow and strengthen with an NRl club. We have a good start, we wont get stronger without that head to aim for. Simple fact is we wont keep the best 18 year old kids in Perth without an NRL club, they'll either move East for an opportunity, as many do, or head to Union, as many are doing again now the Force is remerging.

As for the Polynesian comment, I didnt realise we only judged the quality of a regions grass roots by the number of white kids playing, sounds a very racist approach! Reality is Polynesian kids make up the bulk of kids that make it in the NRL, regardless of where they are being trained. Coming from Penrith Id have thought you'd know that better than most!

Colk

First Grade
I can't see the Titans lasting if they put another team in Brisbane, the "3rd" team would have to South based, if it's going to be in Brisbane given that Redcliffe are apparently focusing on the north side.

Another team on the doorstep of the Titans who are already struggling, I don't think it's sustainable and I don't even think you could call that expansion. Maybe they could justify putting a team out in Central QLD but that's not Brisbane then is it?

I think the next team in the NRL has to be a team in a place where one doesn't already exist, Perth or something.

I think you’re right.

Yes i agree, you don't need massive junior numbers, if your juniors are good, WA juniors are not, hence why i keep saying currently the area that isn't serviced in the Qcup currently is cairns and PNG, i don't see the cowboys going to port moresby to get players from the hunters, when they probably should... anyways keep on talking about WA and linking up with a country thats basically 6 hours away for your talent, if your want a license under PVL, you need to be competitive at junior level, not go and borrow from others
The Northern Pride are based in Cairns.

The only reason the Storm were propped up by News Ltd is because Melbourne is the second largest city in the country and there was a void in the market created by the culling of three teams in 1998. The Chargers were axed the next year, despite being profitable, which limited opportunities for aspiring players and RL fans in SEQ as the region went from having three teams to just one.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The only reason the Storm were propped up by News Ltd is because Melbourne is the second largest city in the country and there was a void in the market created by the culling of three teams in 1998. The Chargers were axed the next year, despite being profitable, which limited opportunities for aspiring players and RL fans in SEQ as the region went from having three teams to just one.
not to mention News ltd could see the value a Melbourne team brings to subscriptions! They were club owners and invested accordingly, maybe one day they thought they could get them to be a profitable enterprise that would make them money?

not to mention News ltd could see the value a Melbourne team brings to subscriptions! They were club owners and invested accordingly, maybe one day they thought they could get them to be a profitable enterprise that would make them money?
It took them 20 years but they got there in the end. It was a good investment.

I think the NRL should invest in a Perth-based club, or give the Ipswich Jets the 18th licence on the provision they relocate to Perth. Ipswich has the juniors and Leagues Club while Perth has the stakeholders and population. West Coast Jets or Western Jets would be a unique brand in the Perth market. I don't think there are too many green teams over there. Ipswich is at least 20 years away from supporting an NRL team and it will never be as big and lucrative as Perth.

MugaB

Coach
It took them 20 years but they got there in the end. It was a good investment.

I think the NRL should invest in a Perth-based club, or give the Ipswich Jets the 18th licence on the provision they relocate to Perth. Ipswich has the juniors and Leagues Club while Perth has the stakeholders and population. West Coast Jets or Western Jets would be a unique brand in the Perth market. I don't think there are too many green teams over there. Ipswich is at least 20 years away from supporting an NRL team and it will never be as big and lucrative as Perth.
West Coast Fever is green, but yeah i get what you mean

MugaB

Coach
The Northern Pride are based in Cairns.
Yes i know this, they are the ones pushing the Joint Cairns/PNG bid, hence why i think this bid has legs coz its representing another country whilst being based in QLD without encroaching too much on other clubs, like the other SEQ bids were, yes cowboys are fed by them but they aslo have CQ and Mackay to draw from

Yes i know this, they are the ones pushing the Joint Cairns/PNG bid, hence why i think this bid has legs coz its representing another country whilst being based in QLD without encroaching too much on other clubs, like the other SEQ bids were, yes cowboys are fed by them but they aslo have CQ and Mackay to draw from
They should call themselves the The Cassowaries or The Crocodiles.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Furthermore, we shouldn’t be looking at excuses anymore. I’d rather six well supported clubs in great facilities and getting great crowds rather than having 2-3 big clubs and six small ones playing at terrible grounds and averaging around 10k per match
It was the original SL vision. The problem is, if you do it now, the media will have a field day with negative press and stories and the game would suffer lots because of it.

As an interesting exercise... which clubs do you think would make the final 6?

I still think Brisbane 3 has a strong chance of getting in by 2028. It all depends on how the Dolphins go. Wouldn't surprise me if Bennett was the inaugural coach of Brisbane 3.
Eventually, with population growth it would make sense to see:

North QLD Cowboys
Redcliffe Dolphins playing out of their own 25k stadium and owning the north and sunny coast
Brisbane Broncos out of Suncorp owning Brisbane
Ipswich Jets playing out of their a 25k stadium at somewhere like Springwood owning Logan, Ipswich and the West out to Toowoomba
Gold Coast Titans owning everything south of Logan, right through to Northern NSW

I'd have the Jets join in around 10 years and that would do QLD at NRL level pretty much forever

Teams 19 and 20 could then be allocated to Perth and either NZ2 or Adelaide depending on which option suits the game better

Latest posts