What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TWO new Brisbane teams

xe_kilroy

Juniors
I can see Dolphins being more Sunshine Coast eventually. Redcliffe the HQs of the club, training field, etc, but playing home games 50:50 SC and Redcliffe, and not being a Brisbane 2 at all.

xe_kilroy

Juniors
Why firehawks should have got in. not some far flung outer suburban team with an eye to moving out of brisbane as soon as it can.
The northern corridor, (MB and SC), as they said.....are the 2nd and 4th fastest growing regions in Australia. Brisbane 2 reckon Ipswich for 18th license (or 19th)

Ck9

Juniors
Why firehawks should have got in. not some far flung outer suburban team with an eye to moving out of brisbane as soon as it can.
has to be firehawks next,

beyond the logo/name being uninspiring there isn't a reason why they shouldn't be in

the bid is pretty much perfect otherwise, and taps into the north vs south divide for the biggest potential ratings bonanza in qld outside of state of origin and the grand final.

Ck9

Juniors
They won’t put the Firehawks in next because the Broncos or News Limited don’t want them. They should let the Dolphins and Titans bed in a bit more in any case
17th club was the hard sell, where we were really at their mercy, now thats done the benefit for newscorp is the ninth game, if they don't want the ninth game as a fox exclusive, dangle it in front of fta networks.

titans are as embedded as they are ever going to be in brisbane, and redcliffe doesn't hit the same areas as a firehawk bid would. nor were the dolphins even expected to have a presence. hence why they were so gung ho about pokies money and picking a club in the region of greater brisbane that had the highest proportion of broncos fanatics

even if it did 2027-28 or so leaves plenty of time for them to establish themselves
Yep,there was good reason news ltd, sorry I mean Vlandys lol, chose the dolphins. No way broncos are goi g to allow a team so close to muscle into their market
i long for the day those schmucks stop holding us back.

It was the original SL vision. The problem is, if you do it now, the media will have a field day with negative press and stories and the game would suffer lots because of it.

As an interesting exercise... which clubs do you think would make the final 6?

Eventually, with population growth it would make sense to see:

North QLD Cowboys
Redcliffe Dolphins playing out of their own 25k stadium and owning the north and sunny coast
Brisbane Broncos out of Suncorp owning Brisbane
Ipswich Jets playing out of their a 25k stadium at somewhere like Springwood owning Logan, Ipswich and the West out to Toowoomba
Gold Coast Titans owning everything south of Logan, right through to Northern NSW

I'd have the Jets join in around 10 years and that would do QLD at NRL level pretty much forever

Teams 19 and 20 could then be allocated to Perth and either NZ2 or Adelaide depending on which option suits the game better
I cannot see the Jets getting in ahead of the Easts Tigers. There's just too much money and physical assets tied up with the Coorparoo-based club and not enough at the Jets.

I know the Easts Tigers are hellbent on calling themselves the Firehawks, but I'd love it if they adopted the Scorpions moniker of the Logan City Scorpions and rebranded themselves as the South Brisbane Scorpions. I reckon that would be a great name and mascot for them to capture everywhere from Redlands in the east to Logan in the south-east and Ipswich to the south-west, plus the entire area of Brisbane south of the Brisbane River.

Not at all, but the talk about Cairns and PNG getting a side is f$&@ing ridiculous.
I don't think there's enough people or money in FNQ to base a team in Cairns, especially when there's already one a couple of hours away in Townsville.

It would make more sense for the Cowboys to take 2 or 3 of their 12 home games to Cairns when the new rectangular stadium is built for the Olympics.

I really wish we would use the name North Queensland Marlins. There's so much history tied up with the Marlins and it's a native species.

Colk

First Grade
17th club was the hard sell, where we were really at their mercy, now thats done the benefit for newscorp is the ninth game, if they don't want the ninth game as a fox exclusive, dangle it in front of fta networks.

titans are as embedded as they are ever going to be in brisbane, and redcliffe doesn't hit the same areas as a firehawk bid would. nor were the dolphins even expected to have a presence. hence why they were so gung ho about pokies money and picking a club in the region of greater brisbane that had the highest proportion of broncos fanatics

even if it did 2027-28 or so leaves plenty of time for them to establish themselves

i long for the day those schmucks stop holding us back.
There is a slight chance I guess. I think it will depend on how the Titans and the Dolphins go. If they have some success they might be encouraged to take it on but if either one of them has a struggle they won’t want to put either of them at risk. I actually do think there will be another Qld side in the future although I would leave it at 5 as that’s a good spread. In saying that we do need to look at other options outside of Qld and NSW to really look at maximising the potential of the game

Ck9

Juniors
There is a slight chance I guess. I think it will depend on how the Titans and the Dolphins go. If they have some success they might be encouraged to take it on but if either one of them has a struggle they won’t want to put either of them at risk. I actually do think there will be another Qld side in the future although I would leave it at 5 as that’s a good spread. In saying that we do need to look at other options outside of Qld and NSW to really look at maximising the potential of the game
i agree looking outside of qld and nsw is a smart bet, if anything just to maximize the national appeal to sponsors.
but its hard to find a quality location to do that

outside of maybe perth with a whole boatload of continual gov support, and the nrl for the first time in its history showing the ability to think ahead it's really only inner south brisbane left that is a viable choice

greenBV4

Bench
My belief is that if Brisbane were going to be team 18 as well, Dolphins wouldnt be insisting on dropping Redcliffe and trying to appeal to all of Brisbane, if that is their plan then they need time to root themselves in and not have a new competitor popping up in 2-3 years, and yes i dont see us waiting much longer than that for the 18th team, the bye every week is not a great thing to have long term

Bring on Perth I say, Fox will like the timeslot, will allow them to have super-super saturdays

MugaB

Coach
My belief is that if Brisbane were going to be team 18 as well, Dolphins wouldnt be insisting on dropping Redcliffe and trying to appeal to all of Brisbane, if that is their plan then they need time to root themselves in and not have a new competitor popping up in 2-3 years, and yes i dont see us waiting much longer than that for the 18th team, the bye every week is not a great thing to have long term

Bring on Perth I say, Fox will like the timeslot, will allow them to have super-super saturdays
Sponsored by SUPADOOPAs!! Iceblocks shaped like a stick

Ck9

Juniors

thats why i think they have dropped the redcliffe, they want to get in and grab what they can from the city before it becomes more crowded and whilst the bulk of the broncos attention is still concentrated on the northern corridor

+ they want to appeal to sunny coast residents since the dolphins admission has permanently killed their own chances of a team anytime soon

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I cannot see the Jets getting in ahead of the Easts Tigers. There's just too much money and physical assets tied up with the Coorparoo-based club and not enough at the Jets.

I know the Easts Tigers are hellbent on calling themselves the Firehawks, but I'd love it if they adopted the Scorpions moniker of the Logan City Scorpions and rebranded themselves as the South Brisbane Scorpions. I reckon that would be a great name and mascot for them to capture everywhere from Redlands in the east to Logan in the south-east and Ipswich to the south-west, plus the entire area of Brisbane south of the Brisbane River.
I agree with you. The Firehawks look like they were a clear second behind the The Dolphins. However, would you agree that if there ever is a 4th SEQ team (even if it was the Firehawks), they'd have to cover Ipswich and Logan? Or would you have other plans for them? Firehawks out of Suncorp and based out of the inner eastern suburbs honestly doesn't seem to be inline with the NRL's strategy of spreading teams to cover for future growth.

Colk

First Grade
I agree with you. The Firehawks look like they were a clear second behind the The Dolphins. However, would you agree that if there ever is a 4th SEQ team (even if it was the Firehawks), they'd have to cover Ipswich and Logan? Or would you have other plans for them? Firehawks out of Suncorp and based out of the inner eastern suburbs honestly doesn't seem to be inline with the NRL's strategy of spreading teams to cover for future growth.

Tbf it should have been the team that’s picked. We wouldn’t be having a discussion about adding another team in Brisbane if they just picked the Firehawks. But anyway News Limited and all that. They should have put this up in the FTA discussions and seen which would have fetched in the negotiations. I have a feeling they might have come up with a different result than the Dolphins

Colk

First Grade
thats why i think they have dropped the redcliffe, they want to get in and grab what they can from the city before it becomes more crowded and whilst the bulk of the broncos attention is still concentrated on the northern corridor

+ they want to appeal to sunny coast residents since the dolphins admission has permanently killed their own chances of a team anytime soon

That encapsulates the problem with the Dolphins. The fact that they have to go the The thing is the fact that Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast are completely different regions and there’s no moniker that you can use to suggest otherwise. It’s like somebody saying let’s put a team for the whole of Newcastle and Central Coast. It wouldn’t work.

Secondly I don’t know how they could pick a bid that plays games not at Suncorp Stadium when the explicit reason for putting another side in Brisbane was that’s there would be a game at Suncorp everybody week. If they couldn’t meet this first objective then it shouldn’t have progressed any further. I just feel that this is just a News Limited middle finger to Channel Nine seeing that FTA was the one wanting this.

Anyway all that said I actually think the Dolphins should go well because of their money but I don’t know whether a pseudo Moreton Bay- Sunshine Coast travelling Wilburys side was better for the comp then an actual second Brisbane side

Latest posts