What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Um... Is it just me?

byrner

Juniors
Niu has admitted that he is using the national team as a way of rewarding 'loyalty' to him and his organization, and that is corrupt and wrong whichever way you look at it. I'm vocal against them because they are purposely and needlessly damaging the sport for their own benefit.

Homer, I agree with most of what you say! National selection should not be based on loyalty or bias etc.
But did Niu really admit this? Do you have a quote/example of when and where he said this. Can you show me some 'actual' proof that he has said what you claim he said?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Homer, I agree with most of what you say! National selection should not be based on loyalty or bias etc.
But did Niu really admit this? Do you have a quote/example of when and where he said this. Can you show me some 'actual' proof that he has said what you claim he said?
'“It’s a really good question and it’s one I’ve thought a lot about and we’ve had many, many discussions about it,” he said. “But in light of how it all happened and how it all split, I think it was the right thing to do. You know, we had people who stood by us and were loyal to what we had achieved over many, many years. They deserved the right have a voice and be recognised.'

http://stevemascord.com/2011/12/04/bondi-beat-december-2011/

That was during the World Cup Qualifiers in 2011. In the same article Niu makes vague statements about how he wants the sport to be united and pretty much admits that what he is doing is wrong, yet here we are a year later and nothing has changed. People who attempt to defend the AMNRL will always be fighting a losing battle because their actions are indefensible.

Evil Homer

Staff member
FWIW, here is a quote from Marcus Vassilakopoulos, Niu's right-hand man who I believe is currently on the coaching staff of the USA national team.

'“I think it’s a disgrace if you really want to know,” he says. “The people behind this coup are all people David Niu has trusted, guys who he has allowed to play and be part of rugby league in America as a player for the Tomahawks and or coach/administrator of a club (guys who had no business playing international rugby league at that.)'

Source: http://stevemascord.com/2011/03/17/bondi-beat-april-2011/

That tells its own story really.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
'?I think it?s a disgrace if you really want to know,? he says. ?The people behind this coup are all people David Niu has trusted, guys who he has allowed to play and be part of rugby league in America as a player for the Tomahawks and or coach/administrator of a club (guys who had no business playing international rugby league at that.)'

Source: http://stevemascord.com/2011/03/17/bondi-beat-april-2011/

That tells its own story really.

The highlighted part just shows that it is all about David Nui and not the actual Federation. It's like Nui has some sort of ownership of the AMNRL and it's his posession and he will dictate to whom will be allowed to participate. It's no wonder that many who had the game at heart felt they had no choice in leaving and one gripe I have with the AMNRL is that they seem to just concentrate on the National side with no actual commitment to grassroots level whereby the USARL have shown great commitment in growing the game where it needs to, to make the game sustainable in the US.

I am worried and have been a while that Nui is in bed too much with Rugby Union, I may be reading too much into it but his son plays Union and there are a lot of RU games as pre-cursors to the Tomahawks games and I really question whether he has the game at heart and not just his ego?

It also bothers me that the RLIF can't see the trees for the forest and see that the AMNRL are more of a hinderence to the development of the game in the US than they are at growing the game. This is also a similar situation as the Italian RL bodies, the so called rebel organisations are the more professional bodies and seem to have the game at heart rather than the self-glory that the National side gives certain individuals.

You just need to take a look at the websites to see who should be running the game in the US!

USARL: http://www.usarugbyleague.com/

AMNRL: http://www.amnrl.com/

We are entering a year in which the USA participates in their 1st ever World Cup and they haven't even got a website up and running, not a great look.

And I've heard these arguments about they are not a fully-professional body and do not have the money and resources to contol and administer the game as it should, well if that's the case then maybe it's time they hand the game over to an organisation who can then.

expansionist

Juniors
I am worried and have been a while that Nui is in bed too much with Rugby Union, I may be reading too much into it but his son plays Union and there are a lot of RU games as pre-cursors to the Tomahawks games and I really question whether he has the game at heart and not just his ego?

Didnt David Nui play in the Rah Rah WC a few years back?

Fatwing15

Juniors
The highlighted part just shows that it is all about David Nui and not the actual Federation. It's like Nui has some sort of ownership of the AMNRL and it's his posession and he will dictate to whom will be allowed to participate. It's no wonder that many who had the game at heart felt they had no choice in leaving and one gripe I have with the AMNRL is that they seem to just concentrate on the National side with no actual commitment to grassroots level whereby the USARL have shown great commitment in growing the game where it needs to, to make the game sustainable in the US.

The highlighted part are Vass's words, which still isn't good to hear, but I don't see Nui saying he "allows" anyone to play rugby league. A lot of people have mixed feelings about the League /Union relationship, but most of the guys who play in those Union games also play League. I even think the USARL puts invites out to Union teams for their 9's tournament. There really isn't a huge divide between codes over here. I think using Union as precursors just brings out more people to see a league game (which is clearly the better product :cool:). Other points made seem to be fairly justified IMO.

kdalymc

Bench
i made numerous applications on the website to nui, saying i wanted to come over and check out the league, all with no reply, saying i was coming on holidays to check it out, still no reply. made a fake one saying i was from compton high school and he replied straight away haha what a tosser

gyallop

Juniors
so why would your going across to the States to check out the game be important to Niu or anyone else over there?

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
so why would your going across to the States to check out the game be important to Niu or anyone else over there?
Why wouldn't it be. Niu should be promoting the game. What would it take? Two minutes of his time to reply with an email. Common courtesy would dictate that he responded. When I worked as a reporter and made a call to talk with someone about something they were passionate about, they were more than willing to talk with me.

Last edited:

Bronco Rob

Juniors

That's actually worrying for me, he could have been a wealthy benefactor, whose to know, but he should at least have the decency to reply considering he is the President of a growing organisation. Is he actually interested in the development of the game or happy to go about things the way they are?

Evil Homer

Staff member
I don't think it's necessary to witch-hunt David Niu - he's been shown to be an incompetent administrator with questionable motives but that doesn't take away from the fact that he has worked as a volunteer to develop the sport for many years. Sadly, this does not give him some sort of 'ownership' or right to a dictatorship of the sport in the USA as some of his followers seem to believe.

kdalymc

Bench
Why wouldn't it be. Niu should be promoting the game. What would it take? Two minutes of his time to reply with an email. Common courtesy would dictate that he responded. When I worked as a reporter and made a call to talk with someone about something they were passionate about, they were more than willing to talk with me.

If you had a struggling lacrosse league wouldn't you want Americans coming over here to check it out and play?

gyallop

Juniors
I emailed the ARU a few times on a question I thought was important with no reply, but i am not ignorant or arrogant enough to think I had the right to expect a reply. Sure its good manners to reply and if it was me I would but who knows how many emails he gets from tyre kickers who want something rather than offering something.

kdalymc

Bench
I was keen to go anywhere, was in holiday mode, with a reply I could of went anywhere needed.
It wasn't a random email it was an application form asking for players...
I am heading to over next year, I emailed clubs directly and they wrote back, all too keen to get some Aussies over there, however I'm only heading west coast now, and no teams ondawestside.... Bummer

druzik

Juniors
I was keen to go anywhere, was in holiday mode, with a reply I could of went anywhere needed.
It wasn't a random email it was an application form asking for players...
I am heading to over next year, I emailed clubs directly and they wrote back, all too keen to get some Aussies over there, however I'm only heading west coast now, and no teams ondawestside.... Bummer

Um there should be on the west.

There is the OC Outlaws and Seattle Force.

Try Hawaii?

The AMNRL supposedly has two teams over there as well... didn't they play in the recent Vegas tournament.

There is also always the Canada's British Columbia competition as well.