What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Um... Is it just me?

deal.with.it

Juniors
Discovered something else ... but it could be nothing.

David Niu's Twitter account used to say something like:

"President of the AMNRL. Sounds impressive but really means I line fields, wash jerseys, run water, & put air in the balls!"

Now it says:

"Working hard everyday to develop Rugby in America. Sounds impressive but really means I line fields, wash jerseys, run water, & put air in the balls!"

This on top of the AMNRL website down for maintenance. The AMNRL website owned by Tatham whatshisname. The AMNRL twitter and facebook no longer updating. What's going on?

joshreading

Staff member
It certainly is curious. Nui does seem to be ignoring questions regarding the AMNRL and the site at present. In reality there are atleast three separate organisations running separate RL initiatives in the USA.

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
There is at least three different organizations. When you look at Hawaii's new Facebook page you see no mention of the AMNRL. they have done quite well, thank you very much, without Niu and company's involvement, recently hosting a small 9's tournament and then hosting the Royal Australian Navy for two matches. My guess is they've gone their own way since the AMNRL promised and then reneged on some monetary compensation to the Indigenious team when they visited.
I think you can also look to many of the other teams out West who have received only token support at best, with some of the teams having flip-flopped between the AMNRL and USARL and not getting any support from either group.
You can also look "north of the border" in Canada where the British Columbia Rugby League has made great strides, and arguably have surpassed their Ontario counterparts. The Ontario group controls Canada Rugby League, and have given very little monetary support to British Columbia. In fact, the BC boys who have suited up for Canada this fall received no financial support from the national team to fly across country and participate.
But, this is par for the course. Every national sporting body in Canada is controlled by, and based in Eastern Canada. Ontario is always looked after first, then the rest of the country gets the scraps.
I know there is not a lot of money to go around in any of these groups, but there is some. But it's not just money. The eastern groups in both countries have promised support in other ways but all they have done, it appears, is sent their logos to the western groups to put on their Facebook pages.

Lone Ranger

Juniors
Timing couldn't be worse for the AMNRL. For clubs that have stuck by them through the USARL rift they would be looking for assurity on the eve of the new season and 2013 world cup. On the flip side the USARL has been very quiet and can't help but think other things are in the works. Hopefully they are positive and one of the groups can make it to the World Cup!

Bronco Rob

Juniors
It certainly is curious. Nui does seem to be ignoring questions regarding the AMNRL and the site at present. In reality there are atleast three separate organisations running separate RL initiatives in the USA.

This does seem concerning but we have seen that this organisation isn't into transparency. If there were no issues why the silence and why is there no comment anywhere as to why the website is down. I checked Nui's facebook page and there is no mention of it, even though you'd think there'd be some sort of explanation.

To some on the outside i guess this kind of silence could be deafening, but i just think its around the holidays so everything is kind of quiet. For the Sharks and other clubs we are close to i know preparations for the up coming season are underway. As for the website i have no answer for that and any comment would be pure speculation. Maybe in the mean time just check in on all the clubs in both comps on facebook. They all seem to be coming to life again now that another season is approaching. I know the Fight, Sharks and Bulls have their first fundraising events coming up this friday night and i hope they're all successful. I, like all of you are waiting to here some news come from both sides, so lets try to hang on a bit longer.

Fatwing15

Juniors
Maybe they are hard at work trying to move rugby league forward, and maybe trying to bring the two leagues back together. Perhaps they are keeping quiet to avoid the grief they would get if they came out with some news that didn't pan out.

It's a shame the AMNRL site is down, and the USARL site hasn't been updated. Maybe like Get Down said, not much news to report.

I think people forget these are essentially amateur clubs playing in a very small, short comp that doesn't start till about May. Same with the USARL. There's not much news for many comps for 2013 yet and most are bigger and longer than either the American ones. Having said that, it wouldn't be surprising at all if there was another reason for things like the website being down etc.

Lone Ranger

Juniors
To some on the outside i guess this kind of silence could be deafening, but i just think its around the holidays so everything is kind of quiet. For the Sharks and other clubs we are close to i know preparations for the up coming season are underway. As for the website i have no answer for that and any comment would be pure speculation. Maybe in the mean time just check in on all the clubs in both comps on facebook. They all seem to be coming to life again now that another season is approaching. I know the Fight, Sharks and Bulls have their first fundraising events coming up this friday night and i hope they're all successful. I, like all of you are waiting to here some news come from both sides, so lets try to hang on a bit longer.

Your comment only proves the difference between both organizations. The USARL would provide an answer for all clubs. The AMNRL is hidden behind a curtain that is masked as loyalty. There is an obvious conflict in place between new owners and current administration. How on earth did we get to place where a governing body was allowed to sell on more than one occasion? I personally am disgusted with the RLIF and why questions weren't raised when Star Group took over. The fact remains that David Niu is no longer in charge and we have no idea who is. I am perplexed why the USARL has been silent on the issue unless they having something in the works.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
I think people forget these are essentially amateur clubs playing in a very small, short comp that doesn't start till about May. Same with the USARL. There's not much news for many comps for 2013 yet and most are bigger and longer than either the American ones. Having said that, it wouldn't be surprising at all if there was another reason for things like the website being down etc.

But isn't it time the organisation is run with a degree of professionalism given that this is a nation that is playing in next year's World Cup?

I read some of the comments on David Nui's facebook page on Sunday and some comments were about what a great job he's doing for the game in the US and congratulated him on the development and growth of the game since the 2004 Tomahawks game against the Kangaroos. But has the game come ahead since then? Everyone keep banging on about how the Americans will love our game etc etc but to be honest under his regime the development of the game IMO has been below par considering the potential that the US has. We have seen no development of any kind at any junior level under the AMNRL and to me this is the crux of a successful RL organisation and this is what should be in place to make sure the game is sustainable in the future.

Some may think I'm wrong and that I'm being highly critical but as someone who loves tha game as much as I do I get frustrated at the lack of transparency and the reluctance of prviding any information. I'm aslo disappointed in the RLIF who seem to not give a stuff about the game outside of the major nations by their lack of attention to nations like the US and Italy who seem to be run by bodies who are happily satisfied in just having a national side that is able to be somewhat successful by calling in on heritage players. If the RLIF were truly competent and intent on strengthening the game Internationally why are they not performing any due diligence on these bodies and make the appropriate decision on which organisation is going to take the game forward or initiate talks between the 2 organisations in each nation and get the best possible outcome for the betterment of our game.

Last edited:

deal.with.it

Juniors
The RLIF said they were sorting out Italy and USA, before the WC.
New constitution is being written in Italy. And RLIF officials have met with both Niu from AMNRL and Illfield from USARL. They now meet and report back to the RLIF.

The Great Dane

First Grade
New constitution is being written in Italy. And RLIF officials have met with both Niu from AMNRL and Illfield from USARL. They now meet and report back to the RLIF.

That's good news if it amounts to something.

Personally I think that both the governing body's of the USA and Italy are trying to better the game in their respective country's, they have just hit snags that they are not sure how to fix and need a little help in doing so.

Bronco Rob

Juniors

When did this occur? Fantastic if they do sort it out, the 2 nations would be much better off under one banner with the combined resources not to mention the strengthening of the 2 WC squads. I really hope for the game's sake that is why we have heard nothing from both camps.

deal.with.it

Juniors
When did this occur? Fantastic if they do sort it out, the 2 nations would be much better off under one banner with the combined resources not to mention the strengthening of the 2 WC squads. I really hope for the game's sake that is why we have heard nothing from both camps.

It has been ongoing. The first sit down meeting between AMNRL and USARL with RLIF as mediator was back at the USA vs Ireland match last year.
Part of the agreement was they would continue to meet, minus the RLIF as mediator, and report back to the RLIF.
Read the Q&A with Peter Illfield in the first issue of International Mag http://issuu.com/consultivity/docs/international.?mode=window

As for Italy, Joel would be better served with that question. The constitution was apparently being written to incorporate both organisations, but from what i could gather it hasn't lead to anything.
The RLEF/RLIF want both issues sorted before the WC.

As for the USARL being quiet, you'll find that Spinner Howland has been back in Australia for over a month now, Peter Illfield spent time back in Australia, Baltimore is actively recruiting players, Boston is active on Social Media, RIR continue Youth Fundraising etc. It's just a really quiet time of year, don't go expecting the AMNRL and USARL to combine for 2013 - it won't happen.

Last edited:

CQ Italia

Juniors
Last I heard was back in late october and a new proposal was given, but nothing since.

Spinner has been here since October, actually had the chance to meet him here in CQ. Some interesting things to say though.

Latest posts