What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Umpires cost Australia the Ashes

dice said:
If anyone bothered to look at the stats, England have won only won 3 innings in which they batted first against an undermanned pace attack. Australia have outscored England in all other innings despite having the worst of the conditions and all the pressure....and don't forget the dodgy decisions.

A more telling stat is the very low scores England have put on when put under pressure. Let's see what happens if the boot is on the other foot with McGrath playing, Simon Jones injured, and Aussies batting first.

Sort of said some of this elsewhere. England are suspect at the back end of games, it's their first innings play that has been their strength. They've batted last in the 1st and 4th Tests, and on both occasions fell apart when asked questions. There's something for Australia to work with there for sure.

anjado

Juniors
dice said:
Oh, yes that's right. The commentators keep on telling everyone how England have dominated close to 100% of the series. Yet somehow it has taken several dubious decisions for them to win two tests by the closest of margins.

If anyone bothered to look at the stats, England have won only won 3 innings in which they batted first against an undermanned pace attack. Australia have outscored England in all other innings despite having the worst of the conditions and all the pressure....and don't forget the dodgy decisions.

A more telling stat is the very low scores England have put on when put under pressure. Let's see what happens if the boot is on the other foot with McGrath playing, Simon Jones injured, and Aussies batting first.

McGrath played in the 3rd test and the only thing that stopped England was rain
and using the australia have outscored England is laughable
the last test england chased less then what australia made
and the 3rd test england declared

dice

Juniors
anjado said:
McGrath played in the 3rd test and the only thing that stopped England was rain
and using the australia have outscored England is laughable
the last test england chased less then what australia made
and the 3rd test england declared

McGrath was bowling at a bit over 70mph during the third test compared to his usual 85mph+. He may as well not have played.

Have a look at the stats. I have it 4 innings to 3 to Aus with the declared innings a draw. ie. 6/280 vs 9/371 too close to call.

nostalgia

Juniors
dice said:
McGrath was bowling at a bit over 70mph during the third test compared to his usual 85mph+. He may as well not have played.

Have a look at the stats. I have it 4 innings to 3 to Aus with the declared innings a draw. ie. 6/280 vs 9/371 too close to call.
Er, but it was the Aussies' choice to pick McGrath, wasn't it? By way of contrast, Jones became injured DURING the 4th Test andwas physically inacapable of contributing further.

I can't believe that there's so much schimpfing on here when the Ashes are still there for both sides to win :roll:

JJ

Immortal
nostalgia said:
I can't believe that there's so much schimpfing on here when the Ashes are still there for both sides to win :roll:

well, Australia cannot "win" them, they can "retain" them by drawing the series...

fish eel

Immortal
JJ said:
well, Australia cannot "win" them, they can "retain" them by drawing the series...

pfft

stopping the poms from getting their greasy little hands on the urn is as good as a series win for mine.

JJ

Immortal
nostalgia said:
Pedant :roll:

lol - nope realist...

If Aust do win the last test, that's what the case will be...

The sight of Tallis and co celebrating a drawn series like a win was pretty pathetic - Aust have a good chance (provided they play like they can) of winning the last test, but it'll be a drawn series and has clearly shown that Aust dominance is over once McGrath and Warne hang up their spikes

JJ

Immortal
fish eel said:
pfft

stopping the poms from getting their greasy little hands on the urn is as good as a series win for mine.

lol, you'd have to say that now, as the series cannot be won... it'd hold more weight if you;d said it before the series, I don;t recall many Aussie fans suggesting they'd take a drawn series then...

fish eel

Immortal
I dont care.
I'll take a drawn series now.
Then I'll moan about how we would have won 3-2 if not for the umpires;-)

nostalgia

Juniors
fish eel said:
pfft

Call me a pedant :hg: , but we already HAVE the Ashes, thank you. In fact, I was at Lord's only last Monday and saw them safely in their cabinet upstairs in the museum. Looked kind of cute in their display case: how close have you been to them in recent weeks? :-k

JJ

Immortal
fish eel said:
Then I'll moan about how we would have won 3-2 if not for the umpires;-)

oh no... not that again - cue "El Diablo" for more offensive, abusive, unintelligent and ill-informed comment :p

nostalgia

Juniors
JJ said:
lol - nope realist...

If Aust do win the last test, that's what the case will be...

The sight of Tallis and co celebrating a drawn series like a win was pretty pathetic - Aust have a good chance (provided they play like they can) of winning the last test, but it'll be a drawn series and has clearly shown that Aust dominance is over once McGrath and Warne hang up their spikes

I'd say that the Aussies have a VERY good chance of winning the 5th Test: that's why I'm amazed (and a bit disappointed) with all the schimpfing on here. Where's th Aussie backbone :nwave:

anjado

Juniors
dice said:

McGrath must of been injured for 5 years then cause he never bowls at 85 miles per hour anymore he hasnt for a while
he bowls high 70's low 80's
it may be 4 innings to 3 to australia
but it doesent matter is there getting smashed in the first innings total

supersaint

Juniors
You are losing your grip one the Ashes due to your batting......it's been píss poor to say the very least. The tailenders have performed better than yer star batsmen.

Your bowling has been good it's just a shame you've run into a confident (for a change) England with a fantastic bowling attack.