What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Underacheivers in rugby league

ethan tremblay

Juniors
does anybody remember the name of the parramatta kid signed at the age of 14 there was a big contract signing on the footy show

axl rose

Bench
Glenn Morrison. Should have been good enough Lock to play for Australia. Did the dirty on Balmain then ended up on the wing for Norths. Few seasons at Cowboys and Parra but never reached anywhere near his potential.

X 2 Julian O'Neill. Class player on the field, even at Souths. Off it, not so much.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I don't think Glen Morrison under achieved as much he was overlooked for rep while competing with some serious talent and unpopular with the fans.

On the pitch he performed well enough imo.

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
does anybody remember the name of the parramatta kid signed at the age of 14 there was a big contract signing on the footy show

How long ago? Telegraph run those stories every few years, with the kids getting younger. I remember some from the late 80's early 90's. They are due to run a feature on a 12 year old soon.

The Joker

Juniors

Herbert, Henry, Harry something. He's name started with a H. I remember someone telling me he was a lifeguard at a geriatic's swimming centre

Jason Maher

Immortal
Jason Martin and Matthew Rodwell.

A couple of more controversial ones:

Greg Alexander - had the ability to be long term halfback for NSW and Australia, but never quite kicked on, despite being a lynch pin in Penrith's 91 win. Like Geyer, was never the same after his brother's death.

Jason Taylor - never reached the heights his rookie season promised, though at least he did more than Martin and Rodwell.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Jason Martin and Matthew Rodwell.

A couple of more controversial ones:

Greg Alexander - had the ability to be long term halfback for NSW and Australia, but never quite kicked on, despite being a lynch pin in Penrith's 91 win. Like Geyer, was never the same after his brother's death.

Jason Taylor - never reached the heights his rookie season promised, though at least he did more than Martin and Rodwell.

Brandy did not underachieve. He had already done enough to complete a stellar career by the time his bro died, and he still did good things after that, even though I agree at a lower level after his brother died. With Stuart and Langer fighting for #1 status in the halfbacks, Alexander could only fight for #3 for himself, plus did good things at fullback to boot.

Jason Taylor shined at Wests, Norths, and Parra taking them regularly post-season. Made rep.

I disagree on both, but as you say, they were controversial.

Last edited:

Fire

First Grade
Jeff Fenech at Parramatta :lol:

Every St. George half-back since Billy Smith :lol:

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Brett White for underachieving prop? Regular failure for NSW. Though, he is still playing and maybe has time to redeem himself.

I'd have Utai on the wing instead of Chris Walker. Utai's talent, as still being shown now, should have had him at far more lofty heights than he achieved, and I don't think he has anywhere near enough time to reverse it. The man who was once Dally M rookie of the year and known as "pocket rocket" should not have spent so many seasons out of first grade.

Pat Richards, controversially, for leaving the NRL FAR TOO EARLY.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Olsen Filipaina could be the captain of this side.

Spent most his career in reserve grade, yet on several occasions owned Wally Lewis in tests.

Maybe put him at lock?

Last edited:

Latest posts