What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Underacheivers in rugby league

Aragorn

First Grade
Adam Ritz from the Eels - career runined by a broken neck. I think he was only 20 yrs old or something,

mongoose

Coach
Mark Mclinden - another case of rookie of the year who never really kicked on. Meninga's coaching stuffed him around by never letting him settle in one position. I don't think he ever would have been a rep halfback but he's still the quickest half i've seen over 20m, would make Soward look like George Rose.

Nigel Vagana - Was insanely good in 02-03 then went to Cronulla and it all went downhill from there.

ethan tremblay

Juniors
Mark Mclinden - another case of rookie of the year who never really kicked on. Meninga's coaching stuffed him around by never letting him settle in one position. I don't think he ever would have been a rep halfback but he's still the quickest half i've seen over 20m, would make Soward look like George Rose.

Nigel Vagana - Was insanely good in 02-03 then went to Cronulla and it all went downhill from there.

i had mclinden in early but withdrew him for firmann

ANTiLAG

First Grade

Disagree. Had a great career. Especially the 05 3N while at Nulla. He scored a lot of tries in an awesome dogs team... He still scored plenty for Auckland and Nulla. At Souths, he either turned crap or was past his use by. Typical Souths debate.

Last edited:

proto

Juniors
Jack Elsegood?

Who was that Warriors centre who destroyed when they made the grand final and also for NZ then just turned average and into a mistake machine ? Then left for super league later

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Jack Elsegood?

Who was that Warriors centre who destroyed when they made the grand final and also for NZ then just turned average and into a mistake machine ? Then left for super league later

Clinton Toopi. But he was just shit.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Tell us what you really think of Toopi. Don't hold back.

Still, raises a far more interesting question. Did Meli underachieve? I say yes.

I think he was ruined by injuries. Up until about 2003 he had speed, after that he seemed to lose a couple of yards and wasn't effective anymore.

ethan tremblay

Juniors
make a team of 17 of the players that we thought had all the talent in the world but didn't live up too expectations

1.ewan Mcgrady
2.chris walker
3.karl filiga
4.ryan williamson
5.eric grothe jr
6.julian o'neil
7.brett firmann
8.aaron cannings
9.phil clarke
10.richard villasanti
11.alan cann
12.mark geyer
13.Olsen Filipaina (c)

14.leo dynover
15.sione faumuina
16.craig trindall
17.owen craigie
18. scott wilson

coach wally lewis
H/T entertainment Billy idol
should be interesting i found it hard but i'll keep thinking.

the new updated side

LazyDreamer

Bench
I don't know about Julian O'Neill. To be legless yet manage to not only use footwear to catch a log, but then coherently describe it with, "I just shat in Schlossy's shoe" is a massive achievement IMHO.