What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Underacheivers in rugby league

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Nah - Steve had a fabulous career as a player, unless you mean as a coach. Even then he has a tri-nations and RLWC with Wayne's help.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Alan Cann was more a second rower than prop, but he underachieved massively. He had talent.

What are people's thoughts on Antonio Kaufusi as an underachiever? Did he actually have talent and do nothing with it, or was he just overrated? I'm not sure.

Jane Carlaw DEFINITELY. I don't care how many Aus tests he played. You don't get that nickname for achieving to your 'hulking' potential. Remember the way he ran for that origin try off Alfie? How often did we see that other than that occassion.

Maybe Big Red too.

So scrap my possible Brett White suggestion previously.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
OP - you have to make mention of Olsen Filipaina in that squad somewhere. He is almost the rugby league definition of under achievement. You don't serve Wally Lewis in tests, while playing reserve grade without underachieving.

[youtube]jl-FPBRteDU[/youtube] at 0:01 and 3:50 tells you all you need to know about his talent.

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
I have to agree with the inclusion of Brandy. Stellar career as is, but could have been so much more. Probably a bit of bias being a Panthers supporter, but I think had the events of 1992 not happened he would be spoken about in future immortal discussions. At his best he was just that good.

MG also, Bens death & the way he was shafted after the infamous origin game ruined him. His last couple of seasons at Penrith were still pretty good though.

soc123_au

Staff member
Matt Adamson & Joel Clinton would be handy additions to the squad of under achievers as well.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Greg Alexander was not 'just that good'.

I remember him from his Fairfield Pat's days.

Markedly worse than Lockyer in defence in an era where defence counted for more. He was a flat track bully, and that's made the perception that he 'coulda dun more wif hiz talent !#!!'

He is someone who lacked heart.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I have to agree with the inclusion of Brandy. Stellar career as is, but could have been so much more. Probably a bit of bias being a Panthers supporter, but I think had the events of 1992 not happened he would be spoken about in future immortal discussions. At his best he was just that good.

MG also, Bens death & the way he was shafted after the infamous origin game ruined him. His last couple of seasons at Penrith were still pretty good though.

Piss off. Stuart and Langer was the debate. Brandy was fighting to keep Bronze.

Brandy unlike the other two could play wing and fullback. But lets not suggest for one second he was ever in 'immortal' reckoning. Maybe if he was starting his career now, he would be a sniff at those kind of accolades.

How was MG shafted after the infamous origin game? You mean suspended, right?

Last edited:

Jason Maher

Immortal
Bullshit mate. Watch his games in the 1990 major semi and 1991 Grand Final to see how much of a flat track bully he was. Those Canberra teams weren't much chop...

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Brandy could play at all levels, no doubt. But

1 He did not underachieve in his stellar career; and
2 He was bronze to Langer and Stuart

soc123_au

Staff member
Greg Alexander was not 'just that good'.

I remember him from his Fairfield Pat's days.

Markedly worse than Lockyer in defence in an era where defence counted for more. He was a flat track bully, and that's made the perception that he 'coulda dun more wif hiz talent !#!!'

He is someone who lacked heart.

He was hardly a turnstyle in defence. Saying he lacked heart also seems on the harsh side. You are entitled to your opinion, but I cant help wondering if he rooted your girlfriend back in the St Pats days.

typicalfan

Coach
Phil Graham. So electric in attack ruined by injuries.

Brandy I agree with, he was as talented as any halfback, great kicking game only just behind Stuart but also a great runner of the ball. But is rightly so judged below Joey, Sticky, Alf, Turvey and Sterlo. Who all played when he played.

soc123_au

Staff member
Piss off. Stuart and Langer was the debate. Brandy was fighting to keep Bronze.

Brandy unlike the other two could play wing and fullback. But lets not suggest for one second he was ever in 'immortal' reckoning. Maybe if he was starting his career now, he would be a sniff at those kind of accolades.

How was MG shafted after the infamous origin game? You mean suspended, right?

I would have Brandy at his peak over Stuart & Langer, add in 6 or 7 years post 92 that could have been so much more. Like I said there is quite likely club bias helping form my opinion.

MG was shafted by the dickheads that instructed him to play like an animal. Should he have been suspended? Hell yes. But he was hung out to dry & it ruined him. He should never have been put into that position by the NSWRL. 1992 finished him off.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I would have Brandy at his peak over Stuart & Langer, add in 6 or 7 years post 92 that could have been so much more. Like I said there is quite likely club bias helping form my opinion.

MG was shafted by the dickheads that instructed him to play like an animal. Should he have been suspended? Hell yes. But he was hung out to dry & it ruined him. He should never have been put into that position by the NSWRL. 1992 finished him off.
Oh please, MG bounced back fine after that suspension. He was still playing effectively as a ferocious animal in the 1991 GF.
Benny stuffed him up mentally, and he turned to custard from there and defintely underachieved in his career from then on.

I wouldn't have Brandy at his peak over Stuart and Langer. Simple for me really. Brandy achieved plenty.

Olsen Fillipaina languishing in reserve grade: that's underachieving.

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
Oh please, MG bounced back fine after that suspension. He was still playing effectively as a ferocious animal in the 1991 GF.
Benny stuffed him up mentally, and he turned to custard from there.

I wouldn't have Brandy at his peak over Stuart and Langer. Simple for me really.

MG has said himself that being hung out to dry after the origin game messed him up. Regardless he still makes the under achievers team? The reasons are debatable.

Agree to disagree on Brandy. I just wonder where he would have gone in his career without the tragedy. Hard to argue that it stifled it. Anyone that could lead a side to a premiership against arguably the finest team of the modern era is no slouch.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
MG has said himself that being hung out to dry after the origin game messed him up. Regardless he still makes the under achievers team? The reasons are debatable.
Yes, defintely underachieved in his career. But I still say he was selected for a job in origin, and he did it, and was rightfully suspended. He would have been selected again in the future if he wasn't playing crap. He did play in the tests after origin and his suspension in 1991. He was not 'hung out to dry'. His greatest personal achievement was arguably his tremendous performance in the 1991 grand final, and he was even binned in that game. So sorry, nothing in 1991 wrecked his career. His entire 1991 season ensured his name became 'legendary'. It was all down hill from there. Yeah yeah.

Agree to disagree on Brandy. I just wonder where he would have gone in his career without the tragedy. Hard to argue that it stifled it. Anyone that could lead a side to a premiership against arguably the finest team of the modern era is no slouch.
Brandy was a fine player who achieved plenty. But for me, at his peak, he was only fighting for king of the quality pack below Stuart and Langer... So yes, agree to disagree. Like I say, if Brandy was starting his career now, he'd have a chance of accolades. But like Typical alluded to, he played in an era of tremendous talent.

Last edited:

Latest posts