What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Underrated Music & Artists

Alex28

Coach
I got the Snow Patrol DVD the other day and thought to myself "damn...these guys are so underrated..." I know they got some airplay with Run but there are so many better tracks on the album "Final Straw" than Run and deserved to be out there and played to the masses...

So...here is a question...what/who is your favourite artist that doesn't get the love they deserve from the masses?

I have a few (besides Snow Patrol):

* The Arcade Fire - but not for long because their album could very well be huge (the album is called 'Funeral' and is bloody brilliant);
* Doves - darker and better than Coldplay but doesn't write painful love songs;
* Elliott Smith - he's dead now, but this guy wrote the most beautiful lyrics. It's a shame the masses don't give a toss what their music is saying, more how it sounds...

Dead Kennedys for sure... opened it up for a whole generation of non-mainstreat music.

MOD -> Absloutly shit hot band.

Also some foreign bands apart from Ramstien many of whom have never got a look into the mass market.

elyod138

Bench
Agree with dead kennedys, they probably would have had a chance to sell out along the way but Jello Biafra would have refused to. Hes a bloody legend.

brook

First Grade
Bernie Hayes

one of the best singer-songwriters in Australia at the moment so naturally noone has heard of him - even after the whitlams destroyed one of his songs

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Primordial - One of the most unique sounding bands in the metal scene today, have released 5 albums which are all brilliant. Really original and emotive.
Pitch Black - Awesome dub act from NZ, veering toward the more electronic, danceable end of the genre. Great albums and also one of the best live electronic acts around.

Alex28

Coach
Unknown Pleasures said:
How about anything involving Mike Patton since Faith No More?

You Am I?
The (International) Noise Conspiracy

You Am I is interesting...

I firmly think if Hi-Fi Way was released ten years later it would have been enormous - they were way ahead of their time. Unfortunately Timmy let his song writing be influenced by their record company and it all went sour (however I loved Dress Me Slowly).

I dig Mike Patton's track with Handsome Boy Modeling School :)

Alex28 said:
Unknown Pleasures said:
How about anything involving Mike Patton since Faith No More?

You Am I?
The (International) Noise Conspiracy

You Am I is interesting...

I firmly think if Hi-Fi Way was released ten years later it would have been enormous - they were way ahead of their time. Unfortunately Timmy let his song writing be influenced by their record company and it all went sour (however I loved Dress Me Slowly).

I dig Mike Patton's track with Handsome Boy Modeling School :)

Personally, i believe that You Am I are getting better with age! Deliverance and Dress Me Slowly are by far their two best records! :D

Misanthrope

Staff member
What is it with you and Peter Andre?!

Do we really need the response and the undoubtedly haunting image it will place in our heads? :p

For me, there are a lot. You Am I are definitely up there. They've got such a broad range. Maria Mena is a talented act, whose one single (You're the Only One) gives no indication of what she can do. Sandrine is a good Australian singer/songwriter, although her second single was pretty ordinary. Switchfoot have been around forever, but are only finding success more recently with 'Dare You to Move'. I've been on board for a long time.

A few years ago I could have said John Mayer, but he's found his own niche now, so he's not 'underrated' anymore. Same goes for Maroon 5. I have a habit of finding a band or artist I like, appreciating them in isolation, and then suddenly being swamped by bandwagon supporters. Damn them. :p

Southernsaint

Staff member
Dave McCormack & The Polariods are brilliant. Such well-crafted songs delivered in an endearing way, without the inner-city wank or hype...

You have to love a man who writes songs titled:

"I want to execute your ex-boyfriend"

"If you ever leave me I will hunt you down & kill you"

Caged Panther

First Grade
chriswalkerbush said:
. Switchfoot have been around forever, but are only finding success more recently with 'Dare You to Move'. I've been on board for a long time.

I love switchfoot's album and could be accused of being a bandwagon supporter. Certainly would be interested to here some of their earlier stuff. And yes you could accuse me of being a bandwagon supporter of them and mayer. But I guess that's more about me being a victim of catching onto what's shoved in my face rather then looking for stuff.

Personally as for underrated band for mine fastball. Moderate success with "all the pain money can buy" in this country but kinda fallen out of the mainstream since.

Balmain_Boy

* Elliott Smith - he's dead now, but this guy wrote the most beautiful lyrics. It's a shame the masses don't give a toss what their music is saying, more how it sounds...

I agree and disagree. He is indeed massively underrated. And he's lyrics are haunting and maudlin, but beautiful as nontheless. But I don't think it's how his music sounds that holds him back - his arrangements are absolutely brilliant, and he has a great voice. I think it's his lyrics that hurt any chance of mainstream success. People just generally don't like hearing about alchoholism and depression. Anyone who hasn't heard any of Elliott Smith's stuff - go and track him down and have a listen.

Alex28

Coach
he sings alot of depression, sadness, his demons - agreed. he has a knack of making the saddest moments sound so beautiful...

the "It's a shame the masses don't give a toss what their music is saying, more how it sounds..." wasn't aimed specifically about elliott - it's at music in general. i mean bands like Wilco should be massive - their lyrics are fantastic, but the music is a little complex and thats what holds them back from the masses.

but it's the complexity that draws me to them :)

so why exactly is music that challenges people mostly ignored by the majority? i've never been able to understand...

Latest posts