What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Union is better than league?

astrogirl

First Grade
I went to the pub tonight, to watch the Waratahs v the Hurricanes with my friend. I don't mind doing that, particularly as beer is involved. However I have to put up with the inevitable comments about how union is more interesting / physical / tactical etc than league.

What should my arguments be? Why do you like league better than union (I am assuming that that's the case) putting aside the obvious reason, that you support the Knights...

Matt23

Staff member
Union is too stop start and far too technical for my likeing

Misanthrope

Staff member
Union is a dying sport. Can't get a TV deal, crowds are dwindling. In ten years we won't have to worry about the debate - because the Super 14 will be dead.

Johns Magic

Referee
Union has become way too much about about kicking for field position, rather than attack.

The days of running rugby, which is beautiful to watch, are well over, and it doesn't look to be improving.

This coming from a union fan.

CJKnight

Juniors
I have actually been watching a few games, mostly just keeping up with how Weepu is going.

I am a union fan, but the progressively slower tactics are making the game progressively more boring IMO.

stevo

Juniors
Johns Magic said:
Union has become way too much about about kicking for field position, rather than attack.

The days of running rugby, which is beautiful to watch, are well over, and it doesn't look to be improving.

This coming from a union fan.

I noticed that too. I remember watching a game years ago think hey this isn't that bad. The i watched a game few years back and remember thinking to myself WTF with all the kicking. Like seriously, there is so much kicking now its like watch tennis.

League is much more simple to follow. It's less complicated. In comparision to the Super 14 the NRL is more personal. You have your team, from your town. Not a just team from your State (well the Aus teams are that way).

The onlty thing Union has over league is the International games. The Bledisloe always an awsome game to watch. The All Blacks also seem the have a more intimidating Hakka then their Rugby League counterparts

CJKnight

Juniors
Thats because the Union boys perform the Haka like it actually means something to them.

B-dos

Referee
occasionally you will see a brilliant game of union and when played at its best its a very entertaining game to watch.

the problem is that these games are 1 in 1000 simply because of the number of and complexity of the rules. games are boring because its so stop start. so many rules have prevented it from being the free running game that it was originally intended to be.

Stuzmeister

Juniors
The Sydney club rugby is a lot better to watch than the super 14 imo. They tend to run the ball alot more, and even though the skill level isn't as good, the games just flow more. From the few I've seen anyway.

Samwise

Bench
There is bugger all depth of talent in union in Australia. The sport in Aus has been left in the stone ages with the private school elitist mentality biting them on the arse these days. As a result watching Australian super 14 teams play has become a farce. Have a look at this weekends reds match. Bulls thumped them 92-3.

macavity

Referee
if someone tells you union is better than league

just laugh

and keep laughing

and then maybe throw something at them.