What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unlucky?

DaveMc

Juniors
It couldn't be you dopes
No, it’s not. You develop shitty theses, explain them poorly, and tie yourself in circles as you try to retrofit different arguments to make good points that don’t logically flow.
I’ve tended to think you’ve usually argued in good faith on this board, but I’m coming around to the view that you don’t have any actual views and simply argue for the sake of arguing. Which explains why your arguments are getting worse and worse - you simply make it up as you go and it leads to incoherence.

eel01s

Bench
Is it unlucky or just not putting your best foot forward? When have we ever had the best operator behind the scenes? The best coach (easy 1981-83). The best player (again the 80s followed by J Hayne)?

My point is, we don't have the best (or top class) footy admin, coaching or playing talent atm. We have no clout with the NRL. Do we have a rep on the rules committee? No.

Until we do, we can't begin to challenge for a premiership.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No, it’s not. You develop shitty theses, explain them poorly, and tie yourself in circles as you try to retrofit different arguments to make good points that don’t logically flow.
I’ve tended to think you’ve usually argued in good faith on this board, but I’m coming around to the view that you don’t have any actual views and simply argue for the sake of arguing. Which explains why your arguments are getting worse and worse - you simply make it up as you go and it leads to incoherence.
No it all flows logically just fine. It’s just that most of you are unable to hold competing ideas in your head and understand anything beyond the simplest concepts.

The fact you cherry pick from my posts just to attempt a gotcha shows you’re not acting in good faith.

As for my arguments, I am actually a lot less certain than most of you about the value of coaches and the effects of coaching. But when you’re certain you need to show your working, and every argument you merkins make is full of holes. When I point out those holes you merkins get nasty. Then you revert to LoL pOu YoU lOvE bA!!! As if attacking your shitty arguments is the same as supporting him. You people are too emotional about the coach. I just want a place to discuss rugby league that isn’t full of dumb merkins, but it sadly doesn’t exist. And you people are untrainable.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Is it unlucky or just not putting your best foot forward? When have we ever had the best operator behind the scenes? The best coach (easy 1981-83). The best player (again the 80s followed by J Hayne)?

My point is, we don't have the best (or top class) footy admin, coaching or playing talent atm. We have no clout with the NRL. Do we have a rep on the rules committee? No.

Great post. The few, the proud.

DaveMc

Juniors
No it all flows logically just fine. It’s just that most of you are unable to hold competing ideas in your head and understand anything beyond the simplest concepts.

The fact you cherry pick from my posts just to attempt a gotcha shows you’re not acting in good faith.

As for my arguments, I am actually a lot less certain than most of you about the value of coaches and the effects of coaching. But when you’re certain you need to show your working, and every argument you merkins make is full of holes. When I point out those holes you merkins get nasty. Then you revert to LoL pOu YoU lOvE bA!!! As if attacking your shitty arguments is the same as supporting him. You people are too emotional about the coach. I just want a place to discuss rugby league that isn’t full of dumb merkins, but it sadly doesn’t exist. And you people are untrainable.
The thing is, I actually agree with the central point here that a change of coach isn’t and probably never will be a silver bullet. But your fundamental point seems to revert to the position that Arthur should therefore be kept in place. I believe the time has come for him to be moved on. Neither of us is or can be right or wrong on that point, they’re simply differences of opinion.

My criticism of you in this thread is that you’ve made one fundamentally stupid argument, backed it up with a terrible example, and then doubled down and said I was too stupid to understand what you really meant. Perhaps you would have fewer people criticising you if you made your point clearer? You know that the way you explained it initially was idiotic - that’s why you came back and had to explain it in so much detail, to show you actually didn’t mean what you said first time around. You could’ve just said “yeah I explained that poorly first time around”, rather than pretending you’d made a killer point that you then had to fundamentally re-argue?

chiefy1

Juniors
Well the bush bum has a 30% finals win record, that can't be attributed to luck, he just doesn't have any football smarts

Oscarman

Juniors
Part of the 100% has to be referees. We should have beaten Penrith in the 2021 finals but the ref stopped the game. We score for sure against 12 which is why play was stopped.

Stability in the roster is not always good. Should be at least 6 changes to the top 30 every season.

King-Gutho94

Coach

Another thing I notice is when do you ever see our players appear on any of the footy shows weather it be on 9, Fox or Radio.

Now it's a small thing and it's not going to make a difference in winning a comp or not.

But I seriously think most of the time they just keep recycling players from the same clubs to appear on shows once a month.

I notice a few of the dogs players in Chricton and Kiraz are on the Matty Johns show now.

Reed was on there 3 weeks ago.

I don't think I have seen a Parramatta player appear on it in the past 18 months now I was overseas for 2 months last year.

We don't have any personable players that can sell the club in a good light or give us any presence in the game.

And don't get me started on our CEO who pops up 3 times a year.

Oscarman

Juniors
Another thing I notice is when do you ever see our players appear on any of the footy shows weather it be on 9, Fox or Radio.

Now it's a small thing and it's not going to make a difference in winning a comp or not.

But I seriously think most of the time they just keep recycling players from the same clubs to appear on shows once a month.

I notice a few of the dogs players in Chricton and Kiraz are on the Matty Johns show now.

I don't think I have seen a Parramatta player appear on it in the past 18 months now I was overseas for 2 months last year.

We don't have any personable players that can sell the club in a good light or give us any presence in the game.

We also barely have a supporter in the media.

the phantom menace

First Grade
When I point out those holes you merkins get nasty.
bill murray block GIF

No, it's actually pity dude.

Suitman

Post Whore
The thing is, I actually agree with the central point here that a change of coach isn’t and probably never will be a silver bullet. But your fundamental point seems to revert to the position that Arthur should therefore be kept in place. I believe the time has come for him to be moved on. Neither of us is or can be right or wrong on that point, they’re simply differences of opinion.

My criticism of you in this thread is that you’ve made one fundamentally stupid argument, backed it up with a terrible example, and then doubled down and said I was too stupid to understand what you really meant. Perhaps you would have fewer people criticising you if you made your point clearer? You know that the way you explained it initially was idiotic - that’s why you came back and had to explain it in so much detail, to show you actually didn’t mean what you said first time around. You could’ve just said “yeah I explained that poorly first time around”, rather than pretending you’d made a killer point that you then had to fundamentally re-argue?

You are completely correct, but that would mean that Pou would have to admit he was wrong.
Good luck with that.
Great post.

BTW, he doesn't really need your help to dig his own holes.
He's perfectly capable of doing that himself.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Part of the 100% has to be referees. We should have beaten Penrith in the 2021 finals but the ref stopped the game. We score for sure against 12 which is why play was stopped.

Stability in the roster is not always good. Should be at least 6 changes to the top 30 every season.
Imagine if we won that game as we should have. Its a huge sliding doors moment in the history of the game.

Do you reckon Penrith win the next 2 comps. They might have won one eventually.

But I reckon after 2 years of dominance winning squat and going out the back-door in year 2 in straight sets.

Would have been a heavy burden for the the players, Ivan & whole club to carry its only human they would have started to question everything they were building was it going to stand up in the heat of finals.

Instead they got through it won 3 tight finals straight and now have built up this belief they can do anything.

And that game still pisses me off more then the GF loss.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The thing is, I actually agree with the central point here that a change of coach isn’t and probably never will be a silver bullet.
Well that’s good, and here's a related idea:

In our case, our ‘choice’ of coach likely tells us a lot about the state of our club. I have no doubt our decision makers are well aware that Wayne Bennett is a great coach and Brad Arthur isn't. I'd say they are also aware that very few coaches 'deserve' to keep their positions forever, and Arthur isn't one of them. They aren't stupid enough to see him as irreplaceable, unlike how stupid you apparently think I am. And fair enough, because I am just some nuffy on the internet while they are in charge of a reasonably successful NRL club (since 2019). So whichever coach we get next will say a lot (to me anyway) about where we are and how attractive we are to coaches. I will be pleasantly surprised if we get Bennett. Not because I think he will 'fix' our club, but because it would show we are legit contenders in the next few years. But really I'm expecting someone like Maguire, Holbrook or Griffin. Maybe a highly touted assistant with no head coaching experience.
But your fundamental point seems to revert to the position that Arthur should therefore be kept in place.
Definitely not my position. My position is that I don't know, but the club does. People claiming Arthur's needs to go for any/all of the shit reasons they provide just bewilders me. 'Blah blah blah statistics' or 'Blah blah blah onfield event' or 'Blah blah blah comment in the press' THEREFORE HE MUST BE SACKED is a non sequitur. Surely to be so certain you merkins must have information you're not sharing, and if so, why doesn't the coach's boss know about it? How has he got his job while you lot are just complaining on the internet?
I believe the time has come for him to be moved on. Neither of us is or can be right or wrong on that point, they’re simply differences of opinion.
I am neither right nor wrong because I don't know. I just know that the arguments in favour of sacking him are very unconvincing. I mean, he's been here over ten years now. Is it only time to move him on because our win rate since the grand final is only 47%? It seems a bit arbitrary. Is it because we've been flogged a couple of times? That has happened nearly every year, including many years before Arthur was coach. Is it just too many years he's been here? How many is too long? If we'd sacked him before nine years we might not have made the grand final.
Well you've obviously made it personal ever since you chose a personal attack instead of asking for clarification, so I'm disinclined to take your feedback on board.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

I suspect this sort of thing is about having connections, which we never seem to have. People talk up our squad but we always seem underrepresented in Origin. The only 'rugby league personalities' involved in our club have been Sterling (a frustratingly impartial commentator) and the clown Hindmarsh. Otherwise the likes of Penrith, Easts and Manly have had the rugby league establishment pushing their barrows for all the decades I've been watching the game.

DaveMc

Juniors
Well you've obviously made it personal ever since you chose a personal attack instead of asking for clarification, so I'm disinclined to take your feedback on board.
Mate, your response to my initial post was “you’re too dumb a merkin to understand what I meant”, followed by an expansion of your point which was fundamentally different to your poorly expressed initial post. There was no reason for me to seek clarification - I took your post at face value. As it turns out, I was wrong to do so, because you’ve since implicitly acknowledged it was a poorly expressed and reasoned point by completely changing the argument.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Mate, your response to my initial post was “you’re too dumb a merkin to understand what I meant”,
You made a personal attack and I responded in kind.
followed by an expansion of your point which was fundamentally different to your poorly expressed initial post.
Like I said, you chose a bad faith reading of my point. I wrote that post while watching my kid at swimming lessons. If it was poorly expressed it was only because it could be misinterpreted. Not a big deal when merkins are genuinely interested in a discussion, but when you're just hoping to score some likes from winners like Suitman and bartman, well I don't have enough time to be that meticulous in every reply.
There was no reason for me to seek clarification - I took your post at face value.
If it was poorly expressed then there was no face value. You just saw an opportunity to be a dick.
As it turns out, I was wrong to do so, because you’ve since implicitly acknowledged it was a poorly expressed and reasoned point by completely changing the argument.
My position hasn't changed at all, I just dumbed it down for you.