What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updates re:a fwe current issues

Mr Red

First Grade
Some updates:
- Wendell sailor has officially signed until the end of 2009 season.

- Peter Doust has confirmed that the Dragons HAVE WITHDRAWN from signing Trent Barrett, leaving the Raiders, Sharks and Bulldogs still in the running. Sharks will firm as favourites BUT they need to offload Kimmorley to free up cash. Expect the Dragons - Kimmorley deal to gather momentum again.

- Peter Doust has also confirmed that Gasnier does indeed have a get out clause in his contract due to the club changing coaches, and that Gasnier is looking at Union in France.

- Brett Finch has re-signed with the eels for 3 seasons therefore ending any speculation linking him with the Dragons

looks like bad news all round for the dragons.... i cant believe the Barrett deal has fallen through.... i can only assume that he was asking too much cash .. Doust has admitted that the only way they could afford Barrett is if Gasnier decided to take up the French offer therefore freeing up enough salary cap....

juanfarkall

Coach
This paragraph makes our "CEO" look like someone who has no real idea....

http://news.leaguehq.com.au/gasnier-considering-leaving-dragons/20080511-2d08.html
Doust was "stunned" that Gasnier could soon simply walk out on the club, but admitted he had negotiated the deal with manager George Mimis which handed the power to the player.

But then again it is also the same CEO who signed players to contracts which had get out clauses if the player made a rep team.

http://www.showroom.com.au/dragons/oldnews2001.htm

I think it would be a great idea to just have Bennett take over both positions - coach and CEO. He'd easily handle both jobs better than the 2 clowns we've got in the jobs at the moment.

I've heard that Gaz didn't want to play with Barrett? (anyone verify this)

Perhaps now that has been quashed, all this sh*t will quieten down.

Personally, I think it was a good idea not to get Barrett.

After his first injury, (and he will get injured) every Dragons Supporter would have been up in arms, and for him not to sign with us, I don't think it would be outrageous to presume that he was asking too much.

f**k him.

Let him do his push-ups down in chilly Canberra.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
This paragraph makes our "CEO" look like someone who has no real idea....

http://news.leaguehq.com.au/gasnier-considering-leaving-dragons/20080511-2d08.html

But then again it is also the same CEO who signed players to contracts which had get out clauses if the player made a rep team.

http://www.showroom.com.au/dragons/oldnews2001.htm

Wow, those intricate little archives still work. It was like a media watch thingy. I sincerely wish I still had the time to keep them up.

From 2001:

redcurley.gif
[SIZE=-1]28 July: It's been revealed today in the Sydney Morning Herald that Nathan Blacklock has a get out clause in his contract which allows him to become a free agent if he is selected on the Kangaroo tour. Saints mgt began a review of his contract with Blacklock's manager, George Mimis 2 weeks ago.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"When we re-signed him for four years, his goal was always to play representative football and the clause was a way of recognising that.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"I'm sure that there would be a lot of interest in Nathan if he was to become available but we believe he should be a Dragon for life and we're talking with his manager at the moment." - Peter Doust[/SIZE]

In other melodramas from the same year...

redcurley.gif
[SIZE=-1]Mar 13: Saints' CEO Peter Doust has been adamant that coach, Andrew Farrar is not under pressure. Rumour suggests that Farrar, who is signed to a one year contract may be under threat of losing his job this season. Some supporters are even calling for his immediate sacking. Doust has been quick to point out that it is injuries, and not the coach which are causing concern in the Dragon's ranks.[/SIZE]

redcurley.gif
[SIZE=-1]16 Oct: Saints' CEO, Peter Doust has announced that the Dragons have ceased discussions with Brett Kimmorley. The ex- Melbourne and Eagles half back was reportedly seeking $560,000 per year but salary cap restrictions stalled negotiations.[/SIZE]

redcurley.gif
[SIZE=-1]17 Oct: [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]KIMMORLEY SUING THE NRL & DRAGONS[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Brett Kimmorley has lodge documents with the Industrial Relations Commission claimimg 'restriction of trade' by the NRL. Last month, the NRL refused Kimmorley a special salary cap exemption after he had earlier knocked back the Eagles offer of $560,000. Kimmorley and his manager, Sam Ayoub are effectively putting the validity of the salary cap to the test.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Additionally, Kimmorley is suing the Dragons claiming that they had renegged on their offer of a contract.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The NRL claim that they are not under obligation to exempt Kimmorley from the salary cap and the Dragons claim that their offer of a contract depended on the NRL decision.[/SIZE]

The Chef

Juniors
Personally, I think it was a good idea not to get Barrett.

After his first injury, (and he will get injured) every Dragons Supporter would have been up in arms, and for him not to sign with us, I don't think it would be outrageous to presume that he was asking too much.

f**k him.

Let him do his push-ups down in chilly Canberra.

Ditto!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I have no problems about 'missing out' on Barrett or Kimmorley.

Time to move forward. In fact, well overdue.

bazookabarry

Juniors
big dell will put more bums on seats for a lot less $ than barrett or kimmorley. i agree it's time to move forward, now if we can just get rid of doust.:)

Steel Dragon

Bench
Stoked to see we're not getting Kimmorley!
Sentimentally disappointed we're not getting Barrett.
Confused as to why we got Weyman, but I figure if Bennett wants him - he must see something special.
Jury is out on Sailor. I dont expect much from him - time will tell i guess.
Disappointed in Gasnier that he doesnt look like he'll show the same faith in the Dragons that they did in scraping money together to keep him outta S14 rugby the other year.
Hoping to hell that Bennett will make some sorta sense outta all of this sometime soon.

dragon_mel

Juniors
I have a feeling gaz will stay, to be honest i was hoping we could get either kimmorley or barrett for a decent halves combo, so what next for the halves next year if we're not getting either?

Interesting the rumours floating around about player movement....seems to have dried up as far as the Dragons go.

Kimmorley looks to be on his way to the Dogs (thank god), and perhaps so too Ennis.

We have dropped out of the race for Barrett apparently?

seems the options for player recruitment for the Dragons is drying up quickly. All we have is Weyman, prob an average first grader, has to be a concern that we aren't seemingly attracting any quality players....really believe we need to secure another forward and either a 5/8 or HB (which makes me wonder why we dropped off Barrett)

Even with Bennett, the side needs some additions, it's pretty clear

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
We desperatley need a hooker. I never thought I would say this but Shaun Berrigan is looking a good option. Make it happen Benny :cool:

dragonfire

Bench
We desperatley need a hooker. I never thought I would say this but Shaun Berrigan is looking a good option. Make it happen Benny :cool:

Move Dean Young fulltime to hooker, he showed the goods before his injury when he started in the 9 and has been great this season. Bring Rangi Chase or Ben Ellis onto the bench as the reserve dummy and drop Woolford. With the halves we either need to bring someone in or leave Hornby in either the 6 or 7. I honestly think that Soward is better suited to be the five eighth and Hornby has shown he can run the show from 7 with Morris at 1. It will be a travesty to league fans all over if Gasnier decides to go to union. His ability is insane, everyone knows what he is going to do yet still cant cope with that shimmy shimmy.

The Preacher

First Grade
big dell will put more bums on seats for a lot less $ than barrett or kimmorley. i agree it's time to move forward, now if we can just get rid of doust.:)

On the first one Barry, a few wins will put more bums on seats than ANY signing, and with the second, when Bennett was asked about working with Doust, he said he had been on some committee with Doust, but he didn't say he wouldn't put his size 12 runner straight up his arse. I myself can't see them working in any harmony, so therefore, DOUST MUST GO !!! :clap: