What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Professional Rugby League Coming Soon!!

roopy

Referee
Actually, organisations like Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo and other Australian tourist type business operators are possible sponsers.
The League will have an Australian 'flavour' about it anyway, so they might as well play it up and sell Aussie products and services.

deluded pom?

Coach
There's an interview in this month's RLW (UK) with David Niu. When I get hold of a copy I'll let you know what he has to say. A poster on the TRL forum reckons the tv contract is currently with the lawyers.

fourplay

Juniors
baseless trash article from Ricketts.

What does the Kangaroo's match vs the Tomahawks or the 87 Origin match have to do with the new independant league? He points out that there was no follow up by the ARL so that means the new league will fail?

The new league is independant of the ARL and the IRLF. The article is dribble and every point that Ricketts makes is irrelevent to the new leagues chances of success in the U.S.

Last edited:

roopy

Referee
baseless trash article from Ricketts.

What does the Kangaroo's match vs the Tomahawks or the 87 Origin match have to do with the new independant league? He points out that there was no follow up by the ARL so that means the new league will fail?

The new league is independant of the ARL and the IRLF. The article is dribble and every point that Ricketts makes is irrelevent to the new leagues chances of success in the U.S.
One thing we can draw from the article is that America has never had any real help.
If David Niu and mates make this happen, they are doing it all by themselves, and when all the bandwagon jumpers get on board after it is done, all of us here should point out that all the glory belongs very firmly with the Americans themselves.
Pretty much the same as every League that has started till now. The local guys have made them happen with no help.

druzik

Juniors
Well, get this months Rugby League World Magazine, there is an interview with David Niu about it so all will be made clear there I assume.

tcc_dc

Juniors
http://nrlus.com/nospam09/14-qanda

New article...

How will players be paid?
Initially, the NRL USA will be a Single Entity League. In a single-entity structure, owners invest in a financial stake in the league, not just their individual team. The league is run centrally and will manage costs ranging from stadium rental, team travel, equipment to front office and player compensation. On the revenue side, it can sell sponsorships and share best practices across all of its teams. Through this structure we will be able to launch a successful league with team operators working with a unified sense of purpose to reduce costs, eliminate debate between large and small market teams and increase value for potential corporate partners.

coach

NRLUS appears on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRLUS

If the NRLUS fails to get up and running or turns out to be a figment of someones fertile imagination then there is going to be a lot of egg on plenty of peoples faces.

While we are getting a few news stories about the NRLUS here in Australia, it seems to me that the media here are still very suspicious of it.

MacDougall

First Grade
They should make a reality television show about the creation of this. It would really help the profile of the competition and it would be a pretty interesting premise, trying to get a new sporting competition running. Pretty original.

yankeeboy

Juniors
I think the league has a very high likelihood of getting started. Whether that will mean it will begin searching for coaches, investors, and players, or actually play games is up in the air. It will have to run in debt for a long time, and it will have to be promoted endlessly to even make it to a sustainable level of debt.

But in all honesty, having an AMNRL club does not qualify an area as having a "significant rugby culture." There are around 500 people of the 300 million residents of the US who are affiliated with the AMNRL. The AMNRL has a miniscule presence in the country right now. I do think that the grassroots rugby league will benefit from the presence of a pro league--particularly with summer seasons, there won't be much competition from Union and will probably be a lot of overlap.

However, Union and League players in the US, beyond a handful of elite level players, will not be suitable for the league in the long run. Younger Aussies and Kiwis wanting to get some experience I think will be key as the leaders of the franchises. They could probably make more money playing in the states, and if there are enough of them the competition will be good. I also think that it is ESSENTIAL to tap in to the football market. Even with dozens of semi-pro leagues, there are hundreds of thousands of former football players who might be interested in playing a similar sport professionally, and could easily learn enough of the game to be sucessful.

I think with a 22 man roster, you could have 1 player as a marquee player who is exempt from a salary cap, and then another who has $100k exempt from the cap, which allows teams to have a few experienced players. The other 20 could make an average of $50k, with more money going to those with more professional athletic experience (not necessarily rugby league), so the cap would be around $1m.

I'm still slightly confused on some of the franchises they are saying are confirmed, especially with the statement that they are going to use MLS stadia. Boston, in particular, does not have a soccer stadium and has no plans for one. The best thing there would be Nickerson Field, which isn't quite as big or nice. New York and Philadelphia have plans for stadia, but no guarantees that they will be open by 2010, and little other options for stadia. Jacksonville's Hodges Stadium is also a little small--I think that all stadia need at least 10k capacity. Dallas and Chicago are my picks for the other two teams. They both have large populations (3rd and 4th largest metro areas in the USA), MLS stadia which would be well-suited for rugby league (Toyota Park in Chicago has hosted RU internationals and has an ideal name for rugby league), and active sports cultures. Texas in particular I think would be a tremendous breeding ground for the sport and it would be foolish to ignore it.

In the long run, I forsee the league getting started but folding after a season because of the debt. Unless they get subsidized somewhere, it's going to be hard to keep it up, but I definitely hope that they can, because the USA has the potential to be the greatest RL country in the world, even as a second- or third-tier sport domestically.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
At least debt is going to be cheap to service in the next decade in the US I feel.

MacDougall - this is what they are supposedly doing.

DINGb@T

Juniors
I'd say that by American standards the debt of any League competition is going to be fairly small change. With individual investors providing the funding it will be a very small commitment compared to something like gridiron. Some of the other start up competitions in the gridiron are asking $130 million for a team. At say $10 million a League team you could fund the whole USNRL competition for the same amount as one gridiron team, with change to spare.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I seriously doubt they are going to get any high quality imports if they make them all attend trials. Surely it would make more sense for clubs to be allowed to buy 3-4 imports of their choice and then the rest of the players come from the draft.

jim_57

Staff member
Going back to the impact on the AMNRL again.

I personally see no reason why all 8 pro clubs won't field 2nds teams in the AMNRL. If they can manage to get a pro team running surely it wouldn't be too much more effort to field another team in an ametuer comp.

I think this is the best way to go about it, it would mean USNRL players would be playing if they are dropped which would bring the standard up.

Ofcourse clubs like Aston, New Haven etc. would still be in the comp aswell and would be playing the USNRL reserves. It would also be a perfect place for new teams to start out.

Although I think it would be necessary to split the AMNRL into regional conferences for financial reasons, maybe 5 or 6 regions with 4-6 clubs, the winners of each division then go on to national play-offs.

Poul

Juniors

deluded pom?

Coach
Niu reckons the tv company they are negotiating with has their own sports channel with the possibility that the channel could be available to 120 million homes by the end of this year. He says that if the NRLUS could tap into one per cent or half a per cent then they would be hitting a lot of people. He's also asking teams to work on attendances of between 5,000 to 10,000. I personally think those attendance figures are just not acheivable for a long time unless entry is free or highly subsidised. As for hitting one per cent of the possible viewing public I don't believe the tv company would shell out x million $ for such a small return on their investment.

coach

Niu reckons the tv company they are negotiating with has their own sports channel with the possibility that the channel could be available to 120 million homes by the end of this year. He says that if the NRLUS could tap into one per cent or half a per cent then they would be hitting a lot of people. He's also asking teams to work on attendances of between 5,000 to 10,000. I personally think those attendance figures are just not acheivable for a long time unless entry is free or highly subsidised. As for hitting one per cent of the possible viewing public I don't believe the tv company would shell out x million $ for such a small return on their investment.

You sound skeptical. Don't worry so am I.

coach

If the NRLUS fails to get up and running then what damage will this do to the game in the US?

roopy

Referee
If the NRLUS fails to get up and running then what damage will this do to the game in the US?
zero.
In fact, even if the league fails after one game it will lift the profile and interest in League in America 1000%.
Worst case scenario - something is a lot better than nothing.

Latest posts