What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Professional Rugby League Coming Soon!!

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
If it gets off the ground, I'd be happy with 2,000/3,000 crowd average, it's something to build on.

5,000/10,000, I'd be over the moon.

deluded pom?

Coach
zero.
In fact, even if the league fails after one game it will lift the profile and interest in League in America 1000%.
Worst case scenario - something is a lot better than nothing.

I agree roopy, better to try and fail then to never try at all. I think the more I see of the NRLUS proposals then the more sceptical I'm becoming coach. It just seems too big too fast for me. Having said that I wish David Niu and his associates all the best of luck.

coach

I agree roopy, better to try and fail then to never try at all. I think the more I see of the NRLUS proposals then the more sceptical I'm becoming coach. It just seems too big too fast for me. Having said that I wish David Niu and his associates all the best of luck.

Its like jumping from the basement straight up to the penthouse and forgetting the 100 or so floors in between. Its all too rushed for my liking. For as much as everyone wants it to succeed I just don't see it working.

roopy

Referee
Its like jumping from the basement straight up to the penthouse and forgetting the 100 or so floors in between. Its all too rushed for my liking. For as much as everyone wants it to succeed I just don't see it working.
David Niu has been working towards this for 10 years.
Those of us who have been following the US scene fairly closely (as close as you can from the other side of the world) first heard about this about 5 years ago and the plan looks to have changed in only small ways in that time.
Niu didn't 'rush' this plan - it's pretty much his life's work.

deluded pom?

Coach
I just can't see how they can go from park footy to a professional set up overnight. I'm not deathriding this by any stretch but the figures don't add up for me.

druzik

Juniors
I just can't see how they can go from park footy to a professional set up overnight. I'm not deathriding this by any stretch but the figures don't add up for me.

Just been reading the interview with David in RLW magazine.

Basically they are doing what the NRL teams proposed a while back.

So the NRLUS "owns" everything and then effectively sells or leases out the various franchises adn sponsorship spots for X amount of dollars. Revenue that comes into the NRLUS then get split out between all parties.

So what happens is that the promotion of the game in general becomes vital to the clubs as the more money coming into the NRLUS comes then the more they get. Any specific money for the clubs the clubs keep in order to pay for what ever they are spending to the NRLUS.

Also sponsors and the likes get to have moeny also taken from this deal accordingly to the amount they ahve decided to invest.

DN says that there are 5 sponsoship places though... not sure why hes limiting that. He also confirms that it will be 4 east coast and 4 west coast team. Players will be centrally chosen and given to teams, so this may mean that a fairly even comp will ensue from the start. No hint of a salary cap or anything though. He does confirm that its $130,000 contracts but is not going to be targeting OS players, they are more interested in local boys. TV deal is with Lawyers as we speak and will reach about $100 million viewers, it will be available in a basic cable package, this I am suspecting one of the larger networks is picking it up. An overall figure of $10 million was thrown around as being put in by the NRLUS.

There are two levels of junior development as well. Plus looks like there Will be an Atlantic Nations Cup at the end of the year involving at least the USA, Jamaica and Japan... I have heard rumours that South Africa will also be invited.

So after all is said and done... still anyones guess.

There's a player and coach registration section on the site now. The player rego asks players to list their RL experience. Hopefully this won't put people off if they haven't got any.

druzik

Juniors
There's a player and coach registration section on the site now. The player rego asks players to list their RL experience. Hopefully this won't put people off if they haven't got any.

Its probably to help with the grading I suspect. I would hazzard a guess that in the draft they will have levels of experience fopr players so that teams can bid for them.

Poul

Juniors
Just been reading the interview with David in RLW magazine. ...............................

DN says that there are 5 sponsoship places though... not sure why hes limiting that. He also confirms that it will be 4 east coast and 4 west coast team. Players will be centrally chosen and given to teams, so this may mean that a fairly even comp will ensue from the start. No hint of a salary cap or anything though. He does confirm that its $130,000 contracts but is not going to be targeting OS players, they are more interested in local boys. TV deal is with Lawyers as we speak and will reach about $100 million viewers, it will be available in a basic cable package, this I am suspecting one of the larger networks is picking it up. An overall figure of $10 million was thrown around as being put in by the NRLUS. .......................

From my reading of the NRLUS website, I thought that not only would there be a salary cap, but players would be on fixed wages throughout the competition, with the top 5 draft picks at each club receiving equal and maximum remuneration, then the next 12 all on the same median wage, and the last 5 on the same minimum wage. I would have thought that perhaps the only overseas (NRL & ESL) players who may looked at and be tempted by the 130K wage (for a 17 week season) may be those who might have otherwise retired. Perhaps Andrew Johns could make a comeback :D
I'm pleased to hear that local players will be targeted, and this should act as inspiration for more local players to become involved in the game, even if it is at AMNRL level. If they could get even a million TV viewers it would be fantastic :crazy:
I guess this proposal could still fall over, but it seems to be gaining momentum almost every day, so that it will become more likely than not that it will proceed :crazy:

Hindyscrack

Bench
COULD (not will) reach 120 million HOUSEHOLDS (not viewers) according to Niu.

The good old potenital viewing audience... As bandied about by RU brothers...

Although everyone (probably bar RL) uses it, heck I've used it in sponsorship and event proposals.

Its probably to help with the grading I suspect. I would hazzard a guess that in the draft they will have levels of experience fopr players so that teams can bid for them.
What they should have is a section for "other" experience - ie union, american football, athletics etc - as well to help encourage someone from one of those sports to register.

Big Picture

Juniors
It would probably help for everyone to know how drafts work in North American pro sports, since the USNRL draft will almost certainly work just like those other drafts.

There are two kinds of drafts: an entry draft held every year to allocate amateur players wanting to turn pro to teams in the lesgue, and expansion drafts used to stock new teams joining an established league. Expansion drafts are held to shift some of the existing talent in the league to the new teams, and the USNRL draft will probably work like that, except that all teams will be stocking their rosters.

In entry drafts the teams usually pick in reverse order of their finish the season before, while in an expansion draft the new teams choose lots to determine the draft order. In the draft, the teams take their picks of the available players in sequence. Once they pick a player, they own his rights as far as that league is concerned and no other team can sign him. There is no bidding of any kind, though teams sometimes trade draft picks for established players if they think that's a better move for them.

The USNRL draft will almost certainly be conducted like an expansion draft, with all 8 teams drafting players in whatever order is determined (it could be in the order of the franchises being awarded, which would be an incentive for those who get in soonest) and obtaining their USNRL rights.

Big Picture

Juniors
COULD (not will) reach 120 million HOUSEHOLDS (not viewers) according to Niu.
That would mean it could reach the whole country, since it's more than 1/3 of the entire US population. 1% of that number would compare very favourably with NRL and SL TV audiences.

This month's RLR lists the eight franchises.

They will be:

EAST CONFERENCE
New York
Philadelphia
Boston
Jacksonville

WEST CONFERENCE
Los Angeles
Denver
San Diego
San Francisco

A few surprises there, ie the last two. No Washington, Chicago or Dallas.

Also the draw might have each team plat the other team in their conference three times and the teams in the othet only once to save travel costs instead of them playing all other teams twice.

deluded pom?

Coach
This month's RLR lists the eight franchises.

They will be:

EAST CONFERENCE
New York
Philadelphia
Boston
Jacksonville

WEST CONFERENCE
Los Angeles
Denver
San Diego
San Francisco

A few surprises there, ie the last two. No Washington, Chicago or Dallas.

Also the draw might have each team plat the other team in their conference three times and the teams in the othet only once to save travel costs instead of them playing all other teams twice.

That would only be 13 games where the NRLUS site quotes that each team will play 14 games.

That would only be 13 games where the NRLUS site quotes that each team will play 14 games.
I know. But maybe they've decided to rein in the costs. It also said that the top wage would be about $US75,000 and that is likely to only go to one "marquee" player at each club. So the figures that have been bandied about re: costs are probably a lot higher than what will actually happen. The average wage will probably be less than $50,000 and there will be less travel than originally expected so they're not breaking the bank as much as some people thought.

nadera78

Juniors
TBH I'm exceedingly relaxed about the make up of the league. Just having a comp up and running would be massive, and it appears that there are some serious players involved in this venture (Croce, Cerceo) so I'll leave it to the experts.

If it does get the green light then those of us with a genuine interest in the development of the sport need to support it with all we've got. Pick a team and buy a shirt, scarf, flag, whatever. Tell your friends about it. Pester TV channels to pick up the rights and show the games. A successful RL comp in the USA would do wonders for tgg.

roopy

Referee
TBH I'm exceedingly relaxed about the make up of the league. Just having a comp up and running would be massive, and it appears that there are some serious players involved in this venture (Croce, Cerceo) so I'll leave it to the experts.

If it does get the green light then those of us with a genuine interest in the development of the sport need to support it with all we've got. Pick a team and buy a shirt, scarf, flag, whatever. Tell your friends about it. Pester TV channels to pick up the rights and show the games. A successful RL comp in the USA would do wonders for tgg.
Yeah - up and running this is bigger than last years WC for the game.
Every league fan should have an American side to follow.