What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Professional Rugby League Coming Soon!!

coach

Well, they don't need to convince you. They need to convince a TV broadcast partner and a number of team owners to come on board.

No one has the details of either the broadcast negotiations or negotiations with the owners who will be potentially taking up the franchises. The only people who do have the details are those who matter in making this happen.

The rest of us just have to wait and see what happens.

I doubt that's what they're doing - probably more about drumming up interest in the site. They've already stated that they are looking at an individual club ownership model - presumably they have been looking for expressions of interest from various potential owners/investors in different areas.

True they don't have to convince me. But I would have to be one of the easier ones to convince. I am a league fan who would love to see the game take off in the US.

If they can't convince me then how hard of a time are they going to have with americans who know very little if anything about the game.

babyg

Juniors
I'm not fussed about the speed that this is taking shape. Big and bold. This is a made for TV event. A TV contract is the key, not really crowds. If Slamball can get on tv than anything can. Same with MMA. A niche is all they need.

RedVee

First Grade
Although I confess to being a "fan" of the "Washington" AMNRL teams, I voted for a Washington US NRL franchise location because of the strategic importance I believe the capital has for the proposed competition.
Despite earlier reports in this thread that there were firstly 6 ( Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Jacksonville, Los Angeles, Denver) selected as "definite" franchise locations, with the addition of 2 others (San Franscisco, San Diego) to complete the total of 8 locations, and 2 (East and West) conferences, I am somewhat doubtful that this is truly the case. Especially when San Fransisco, a supposed "starter" in the Western conference isn't even listed in the US NRL poll. IMO only 3 cities (New York, Philadelphia, Jacksonville) are likely to be "definite" starters, and also Los Angeles if the competition is going to be truly "national". Other than those I think the rest of the spots are up for grabs. What the deciding criteria will be, I don't know, but I don't think it can hurt to have a good poll vote percentage.
So make sure you vote with your head :-k and not your heart :hg: (www.nrlus.com)

Yes, I agree. The two feeder teams DC Slayers & Fairfax Eagles being an advantage in my eyes, not to mention being a fairly significant township in the US.

winnyason

Juniors
i have a bad feeling about this 4 weeks after the hysteria over the league and no tv deal it seems it won't happen the longer it drags on...................egg on face for league again.

nadera78

Juniors
i have a bad feeling about this 4 weeks after the hysteria over the league and no tv deal it seems it won't happen the longer it drags on...................egg on face for league again.

Yeah, four whole weeks and nothing's happened.

F*ck me, no wonder nothing ever gets done in RL if we ony give it four bloody weeks.

winnyason

Juniors
sorry for having a opinion you know best............................of course what do you want me to post league does not fail 2000 world cup, letting russia drop off the map, paris sant germain should i go on.

roopy

Referee
I can see the Americans wanting to bring out all their big news stories within a few months of the kick off date to maximise their impact.

nadera78

Juniors
sorry for having a opinion you know best............................of course what do you want me to post league does not fail 2000 world cup, letting russia drop off the map, paris sant germain should i go on.

Lighten up dude. But seriously, four weeks? :?

Poul

Juniors
It looks as if there may be some "campaigning" happening ;-)
With just under 550 votes, Philadelphia has now surged to the lead with @22% of the vote, followed by Jacksonville with @20%, and Washington with @9%. It'll be interesting to see how long the poll will stay up, and what the final count will be, and if it ends up having any influence at all on the final franchise locations.
If you haven't already voted, do so now (www.nrlus.com)

With just under 1000 votes, Jacksonville has reclaimed the lead with almost 25% of the vote, followed by Philadelphia with @21% and Washington with @9%. It doesn't look like there's too much support for Rugby League in Phoenix :sarcasm:. Keep them votes coming :crazy:

Poul

Juniors
Are you being paid to advertise this poll or what? :?

No, I'm doin' it for free :roll: I just happen to be a fan of International Rugby League, and I believe that the presence of a professional Rugby League competition in the USA may do more the International game than all that has passed before. If there are significant numbers of people who visit the NRL US web site to vote in the poll it can only help to attract sponsorship and advertsing revenue, and potential fans for the proposed new competition.. I have no vested interest in the US NRL, but do want to see it succeed.By "spruiking" it, this is one way I can help. What are YOU going to do for the development of the International game? :D

roopy

Referee
No, I'm doin' it for free :roll: I just happen to be a fan of International Rugby League, and I believe that the presence of a professional Rugby League competition in the USA may do more the International game than all that has passed before. If there are significant numbers of people who visit the NRL US web site to vote in the poll it can only help to attract sponsorship and advertsing revenue, and potential fans for the proposed new competition.. I have no vested interest in the US NRL, but do want to see it succeed.By "spruiking" it, this is one way I can help. What are YOU going to do for the development of the International game? :D
and good on you for doing it.
If this fails it won't be because i haven't done what i can to help, and i hope all international fans will do their bit.

Poul

Juniors
Team Cities Poll update:

With almost 1800 votes cast, Philadephia has surged to the lead.

Philadelphia 34%
Jacksonville 22.1%
New York 7.7%
Los Angeles 7.4%
Washington DC 6.8%
San Diego 4.6%
Boston 4.3%
Chicago 3.9%
Houston 3.9%
Denver 2.3%
Hartford 1.8%
Phoenix 1.1%

I would reckon that the top 3 cities here are "certainties", but the other places are still up for grabs. Apart from LA, there appears to be a decided lack of interest from "fans" on the "west coast".
How can this poll (www.nrlus.com) be better promoted to potential fans both in the USA and here in Australia?

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
How can this poll (www.nrlus.com) be better promoted to potential fans both in the USA and here in Australia?

By creating a youtube video full of highlights from internationals/SoO/ESL and NRL with a little ticker across the bottom directing people to the nrlus site. Post it in response to some American football highlight videos.

Someone on here would have to know how to pull that off.

DINGb@T

Juniors
I think that poll is more an indicator of where League fans are, more than where people would want a team. That's why it's skewed towards Philly and Jacksonville- that's where all of the League fans are. As a promotional tool for the new League it's great, getting established League fans to the website and involved in the new League, but as a socio-demographic tool for predicting the successful support of a new sporting franchise I'd say it's fairly limited.

If they decide where the teams go based solely on the outcome of an internet poll I'd be a little worried.

winnyason

Juniors
Feeling much better now i have read the niu interview it looks good sounds like nbc to me, i think you will find it may be money wise on a similar scale to say french elite or national league 1 in britain. The crowds are pretty serious expectations no doubt jackonville, philly and new york will get that in averages, i think boston hosted the st pats test vs ireland and got a few thousand it really depends on getting crowds on the west coast they have a rugby union following over there fingers crossed they get behind it.

Dallas seemed to have dropped off the list which is a surprise maybe cannot get a backer. what ever the league it has only got one shot and has to work but by the looks of the numbers they may not have the 4 east and 4 west format because no doubt washington will get one spot and san diego the other.

Talent wise pacific island players would reveal and be stars let's hope they get the visa problems arranged. Also players from emerging nations such as russia, serbia, lebanon, south africa could get a shot at pro footy however no doubt players from australia, new zealand, england & wales and to a smaller extent france will be players they will go after.

I was sceptical but now reading am very excited i would say one thing however for the usa to be a league force in test footy they must have a quota on international talent i small teams they is no point in getting a league up and running if they get flogged in test footy by fellow minnows like lebanon, russia and so on.

Very exciting union will be pissed i wonder if john o neil will switch the 4th bloody slow from japan to denver. The 4 atlantic cup tournament will be exciting but why no south africa.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
i wonder if john o neil will switch the 4th bloody slow from japan to denver.

See The Fight Club article in "union going backwards thread".

The 4 atlantic cup tournament will be exciting but why no south africa.

To me it is more logical for SA to play with European nations. Yes they border on the Atlantic, but it's a long way from America. As for Japan, they are completely antipodal to the Atlantic Ocean. They should be playing minnow pacific islands.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Number of Voters : 2267

Was a bit skeptical at first as the number of votes felt like it had stagnated at around 600, but over 2k votes now so looking more encouraging

no surprise that Jacksonville is in front