What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Professional Rugby League Coming Soon!!

taipan

Referee
You're mistaken there. When American football is televised, there are commercial breaks between quarters and after every scoring play and after most changes of possession. They never miss a single moment of the play either, which is also the case with every other sport shown on TV in this part of the world. To fit the model of televised sports in North America, I predict they'll have to stop the clock every time the ball goes dead and points are scored to allow enough potential commercial breaks in the broadcast. It should work OK in a 2-1/2 hour time slot.

Where did I suggest that American football is only advertised in the qtr breaks.I am only suggesting the opportunity for rl exists in 4 qtr breaks as happened in the old Amco Cup,rather than the 1/2 time break that exists in the NRL.Of course after a try is scored there will be opportunities to go to an ad break,as ch9 does monotonously in the NRL.
The alleged new pro comp,will need plenty of dollars from TV for starters ,hence the need for ads.

RL1908

Bench
Shevington Sharks USA Tour booklet 1981

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Source: Shevington Sharks USA Tour booklet 1981
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
usa.jpg
LUCIUS BANKS was born in Arlington, Mass, in 1899 and was a graduate from the famous West Point Military Academy. How he came to be playing rugby for Hunslet in January 1923 is anyone’s guess but old Lucius was probably the first American to play Rugby League football.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Records show that since Banks, only a handful of Americans have played Rugby League professionally which is surprising when one considers the similarities with American grid-iron football. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Many have recognised these similarities and for several years now a succession of people have sought to introduce Rugby League with its tough man-to-man confrontations, ball handling skills and free running movements to a public which delights in the rough-and-tumble spectacle of American grid-iron. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Typically, one of the first men to take the pioneering role of introducing Rugby League to the Americans was that Australian man of many parts, Harry Sunderland. It was Harry Sunderland who, in 1929, had first interested the French in Rugby League. Having seen that particular dream become a reality, Sunderland, with his characteristic enthusiasm, set his sights on converting the Americans to Rugby League football.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]America was a country that he had come to know well after he had covered the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics as a freelance journalist. Harry Sunderland became friends with Californian journalist and sporting entrepreneur Ward B. Nash who had earlier staged a Rugby Union match at the Los Angeles Coliseum. Nash was excited by the prospect of Rugby League in the U.S. With Sunderland and restaurant owner Cliff Evans, the Welsh international and later coach with St. Helens and Salford who was living in California, he set out plans which would mean the staging of exhibition games played in Los Angeles by international Rugby League sides returning home from overseas tours. The plans, unfortunately, failed to materialise.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The interest created brought to prominence the name of Mike Dimitro. Dimitro was a professional wrestler and ex-gridiron star. He had watched Rugby League in Australia and New Zealand whilst serving in the U.S. Navy during the war and in 1952 he announced his intention of assembling a number of American football players who would form a U.S. touring side to Australia and New Zealand. He convinced New South Wales R.L. President H. (Jersey) Flegg that he had sufficient backing to finance the project and the Australians agreed to the tour. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Australian Rugby League press was sceptical to the point where Dimitro was labeled a liar and a con-man who only saw Rugby League as a means to line his own pockets, but Dimitro was determined to see things through and the United States All Stars Rugby League team was chosen and set off for Australia in May 1953 with Dimitro as their captain and coach. None of the side had ever played the game in their lives and the only preparation they made for the tour was to read the rule book. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The enterprise was not the financial disaster that many had forecast. The Americans proved to be attractive, though grossly inexperienced, visitors. Attendance during their 18 match itinerary in Australia averaged 13,000 with 65,453 people at the Cricket Ground when they were beaten 52-25 by Sydney. They won 3 and drew 2 matches, scoring 406 points against 560. In New Zealand they won four out of eight, scoring 157 points and conceding 211.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nothing further was heard of Mike Dimitro after the tourists returned home and that was the end of the American All Stars, although one of the touring team, Al Kirkman, came to England to eventually sign for Leeds in 1957. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Enter Ross “Rosie” Gilhansan, another Californian. Gilhansan, a dynamic promoter was the next to have the vision of Rugby League as an All-American sport. It was 1954, the year of the first Rugby League World Cup competition played in France. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gilhansan persuaded the Australian and New Zealand R.L. authorities to break their homeward journeys in Los Angeles after the World Cup to play an exhibition match for which he would raise the money to stage the event. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The experiment received the full support of the British League who were even persuaded to put money into the pot, but this was another ill fated venture. Four days before the game at Long Beach, the worst fog for years descended over the Pacific sea­board and remained to engulf the stadium on match day. A vain attempt was made to entertain the 1,000 curious spectators but after 6 farcical minutes during which time no-one, not even the players themselves, could see more than a few yards, the match was called off. It was decided to try again the following day. This time the match was completed with Australia beating the New Zealanders by 30 points to 13 in front of 4,554 spectators who were lost in the vast Coliseum Bowl built to accommodate crowds of 100,000 plus. The experiment had been a flop and there was no further interest shown in the United States for more than 20 years.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It started again when Wisconsin business man Mike Mayer saw the film “This Sporting Life’ on television. This British kitchen-sink drama with a Rugby League background can hardly be said to glamourise the game but Mayer was hooked. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He became the next man to recognise the marketable potential of Rugby League football in American sport. He set up the United States Rugby League with himself as its President, his aim, to obtain the financial backing of the R.L. playing nations and to sell franchises for twelve professional teams in major cities across the States. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]After nearly four years, the big ‘kick-off’ has yet to take place. If only it could happen for Mike Mayer then there are many who predict that the U.S. would be the springboard to send Rugby League soaring as an international sport. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Meanwhile, English-born Al Eastwood and his band of helpers in Portland, Oregon have made their mark with the formation of the North West Rugby League In 1979. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Could this be the way that Rugby League is going to get a foot-hold in the United States—through an amateur movement? Where the game is the thing, and not the big dollar sign. It is the old ‘grass roots’ theory. Now, growth is the keyword for those amateurs who could yet succeed in launching Rugby League in the U.S.A. where so many others have failed previously. [/FONT]

roopy

Referee
I don't think the Americans are as insular as the Russians, but they will try to keep the role of 'funny talkers' (as they call us) to a minimum.
I think they will raid Aus, NZ and Eng for some senior and very experienced players, and for trainers and coaches, but i can't see many young blokes getting a run unless they make their own way over and try out like everyone else, and even then there will be restrictions.

roopy

Referee
http://www.americanrugbynews.com/artman/publish/editorial/Lowe_Down_Picking_the_best_code.shtml

Controversial for those beer swilling ruggers out across America there but true.
What sums up American Rugby for me was a moment on the TV show 'Friends' years ago.
One of them - Ross I think - said he couldn't do something because it clashed with his 'Rugby semi-final' and Chandler replied in amazement 'Rugby has semi-finals?'
In America Rugby is just an excuse for unfit guys to bump into each other and then drink beer - which is probably a fine thing in itself - but League has to work hard at never being tarred with the same brush.

http://www.americanrugbynews.com/artman/publish/editorial/Lowe_Down_Picking_the_best_code.shtml

Controversial for those beer swilling ruggers out across America there but true.

Wow. I'm guessing this isn't a wide-spread opinion in US Rugger circles...

It's interesting that he would rather see one kind of "Rugby football" become popular than just sticking stubbornly to the Union variety and thereby continue to see it wallow due to it's obscure "purity"...

Are we about to see a 1895-esq revolution in the USA? :shock:

(Probably not but it's nice to consider).

Anyone notice the new section on the website called "NRL Bios". It's empty at present but interesting just the same. The site is being updated regularly, from a virtually blank page that was little more then a tease to a site that not only proves this thing is happening but it's giving away more and more details.

jim_57

Staff member
I wonder what stadiums teams will play in? I imagine College stadiums like the Axemen and the Fight currently play in would be best. However it would be nice to see the clubs try and develop their own stadiums but that might be a long way off.

Big Picture

Juniors
Soccer here has not made way for added commercial breaks so I doubt RL will have to. The reason American sports do it is because there's no significant, existing, international standard.
Apart from a small handfull of games a year, soccer doesn't get on network TV here. Without the breaks, how do you propose they can accomodate the standard 12 minutes of advertising per hour the networks have in ever other sport they show?

Big Picture

Juniors

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I wonder what stadiums teams will play in? I imagine College stadiums like the Axemen and the Fight currently play in would be best. However it would be nice to see the clubs try and develop their own stadiums but that might be a long way off.

There is nothing worse, in my opinion, than seeing rugby league played on synthetic turf fields marked out for grid iron.

Poul

Juniors
Anyone notice the new section on the website called "NRL Bios". It's empty at present but interesting just the same. The site is being updated regularly, from a virtually blank page that was little more then a tease to a site that not only proves this thing is happening but it's giving away more and more details.

Well, there's definitely been more activity on the NRL US web site (www.nrlus.com), in the last week than there has been on the AMNRL web site all year. If this is going to be a truly professional league, then the website will have to reflect that fact. I'd say they're off to a good start so far :thumn.

DINGb@T

Juniors
Lock it in people- Philadelphia, New York, BOSTON, Jacksonville, DENVER and Los Angeles...

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,25248078-14823,00.html

FAST forward to America's Independence Day, 2010. Fireworks light up the sky, The Star Spangled Banner blares around the field - and a game of rugby league breaks out.

And not just any game, but the first US Grand Final featuring players who are household names in the NRL.

This isn't a pipe dream, it's going to happen, with a US professional rugby league competition to be announced within weeks.
After almost 40 years of trying, rugby league is about to kick off in the Land of Opportunity.

Competition commissioner and former St George halfback David Niu told The Daily Telegraph that the US league would kick off on March 12 next year and the championship final would be played on July 4, Independence Day.

It will involve eight teams from eight different cities and each club will have a 22-man playing roster for a tournament to be played over 14 weeks - seven home games and seven away matches.

Franchises are already set for Philadelphia, New York, Los Angeles, Denver, Jacksonville and Boston.

"We want to build a comp and we might only have one chance here to develop a professional game," Niu said.

"It would give players the chance to play league outside Europe.

"We would be looking at players towards the end of their careers, players who have maybe been internationals. We could offer a new experience. They could help grow a new sport in a different country."
Niu believes attracting top-level coaches from Australia was crucial.
"We want world-class coaches," Niu said. "The players over here have tremendous raw talent but some of the skills are missing. But there are athletes everywhere."

Brian Lowe, from American Rugby News, believes rugby league would be a hit in the US after rugby union's failure to break into the market.
"The fact of the matter is that while league possesses all the qualities the football fan craves, it's also a much faster game with fewer stoppages," Lowe said.
"Although those purists might not like to hear it, rugby union is way too stop-start, it's way too over-officiated, and it has become a kick-fest. Rugby league, on the other hand, offers end-to-end action, big hits, and for the most part is played at breakneck speed."

Bulldogs halfback Brett Kimmorley would love to play a season in the US.
"A lot of blokes would jump at the chance to play in America," he said.
"It would be awesome."

A few weird teams there. Dont think anyone picked Denver. Boston is going from nothing to a lot at speed as well. Forst their new AMNRL team, then a year later a professional team.

And from the looks of it they are looking for expats. Interesting...

Dave The Maori

Juniors
Picking the best product: A rebuttal
Posted in: Editorial
By Ray Viers
Mar 26, 2009 - 12:05:45 AMDigg this story!
Email this article
Printer friendly page

(Marvin Dangerfield photo)
My learned associate and editor-in-chief has made an argument that rugby league would be a better option for the US television audience over rugby union.
This is based on the fact that the similarities between rugby league and American football, and the speed and intensity of rugby league would better suit the American sports viewer.
I do not disagree with these views, but I do not think rugby league (aka the Australian NRL competition) would garner any more interest than Chilean soccer.
To be clear, I love rugby league. When I was a youngster and our family moved from Cleveland, OH, to Brisbane, it was rugby league and cricket which I adopted, surely as a way to assimilate into my new surroundings. First, Western Suburbs, then the Brisbane Broncos and the mighty Queensland Maroons – teams near and dear to my heart.
I didn’t know much about rugby union until I was well into high school.
Thus, there is an emotional tie to rugby league that I have even though most of my rugby career has been involved at all levels of rugby union. Maybe it’s why I still love playing touch footy.
And that is the simple reason why rugby league has little or no chance of success as a televised sports alternative – there is no emotion for the game, in the USA. It is the same problem rugby union suffers from.
It would simply be an entertainment option to the average American viewer – do I watch rugby league from Australia, between two teams I know nothing about or do I watch a Seinfeld rerun – at least I know who Seinfeld is.
Sport is all about emotion – backing your team to the end, in good times and bad, no matter what. Just ask my brother about the Cleveland Browns! And that emotion just doesn’t translate through a television screen, if you know little or nothing about it. The history, the teams, the players …
So while I agree with Brian, based on what I’ve seen this year, the National Rugby League in Australia is playing some fantastic football – the Broncos v Melbourne Storm game, their second of the season, was as good as any finals game you would see. It is fast, flowing and hard hitting. It is great entertainment. But it’s just not relevant in America.
Couple this with the fact Americans want to watch Americans – many of the most successful comedy programs are remakes of English shows remade in the US, as in The Office (Ricky Gervais is just so much better than Steve Carrel). The same goes for sport. This is only natural.
So, what to do to get rugby – union or league – to have a bigger profile? It is really summed up in two words – emotion and familiarity.
That is where the continuing improvement and quality of top flight collegiate rugby is very important to rugby unions overall growth as a media entity. The colleges carry that emotional connection which flows from the huge basketball and football competitions. They are household names. They are young Americans competing.
These are the ingredients for the American public, not a niche sports audience.
Yes, rugby is way behind the timeline here, but the opportunities are growing and should be embraced. The IRB World Sevens Series is another quality competition, which features an improving and competitive US national team. People want to see success.
So, my good friend Brian, I’ll keenly watch all of the mighty Brisbane Broncos I can get. And I’ll grudgingly watch Manly and the Sydney Roosters.
But as the prime rugby product for America, I don’t think so.

http://www.americanrugbynews.com/artman/publish/editorial/Picking_the_right_code_A_rebuttal.shtml

deluded pom?

Coach

His argument is based on Americans watching an alien sport played between two foreign teams. If NHL ice hockey was on tv I don't think I'd have much interest either. How many Americans would set a couple of hours aside to watch Sale v Bath at union? Only the insomniacs. Now if his argument had been about two US teams playing union and comparig it to two US teams playing league then he will lose hands down.

BCSharksRLFC

Juniors
Well...it's been awhile since I've been around...

Anyway I'm really excited about all the news coming out about the pro league. Seems to really be progressing forward.

Hope everyone is looking forward to some new amnrl video content soon once the season kicks off.

Paley

Juniors
What sums up American Rugby for me was a moment on the TV show 'Friends' years ago.
One of them - Ross I think - said he couldn't do something because it clashed with his 'Rugby semi-final' and Chandler replied in amazement 'Rugby has semi-finals?'
In America Rugby is just an excuse for unfit guys to bump into each other and then drink beer - which is probably a fine thing in itself - but League has to work hard at never being tarred with the same brush.

League has to work hard at not being tarred with the same brush as Rugby? League is Rugby.