What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USA - Montana Rugby League

Paul Condon

Juniors
I have been reading this site with some interest over the past week. I am a Kiwi league nut, who has been stranded in Montana for a year, in a little place called Gardiner at the North Entrance of Yellowstone National Park.
I have a great deal of opinions on most things league having been involved since 1975 at the age of 8. As with most stranded leagies I have had to play onion, which is nowhere near as satisfying as league.
It is great to see the competition in the East going strong, and the Tomahawks playing internationals.
In terms of growing league in other US areas here are my thoughts.
Get people you hang with and play touch. Anybody, old young, whatever. Organise a touch competition after a few games. From this identify players who might play rugby league at 7's, play internally first, then go for a small tour or game against someone else. As David Niu would tell you it takes time.
For those others in small outposts of Florida, Texas, Georgia, Kentucky?, Tennessee?, Utah, get Touch going to spark peoples interest. It is close rules wise to League, and at least you'll have people who understand the fun and fitness involved in the game. Always keep mentioning this is the non contact version of League, in fact call it Touch Rugby League. In NZ Touch is the greatest summer participation sport.
My plan of attack is this, I have started Touch RL here with the locals, with just two teams so far as a recreational activity. Next Spring I will try and launch a 4 team touch competition of kids and adults, male and females. In the Summer I will be at Montana State University in Bozeman, working on my Masters in Sports Coaching. I will attempt to get a Summer Touch competition going there, exactly how or what format I don't know. As mentioned earlier I was playing onion, and they are a great bunch of blokes. I do not intend to conflict with their season initially. Next fall I am hoping to get a sevens Rugby League tournament organised. Who knows there may be interest in a one off game against someone.
As you can see there is a path, but not fast. At some stage people will need to see the game itself, videotape, and jerseys, playing field etc need to be organised. More people to help me here will need to be found for Touch and League.

In conclusion, I would like to see posts especially from others in the US to talk about efforts and problems they see in introducing League.

So all American leagies especially in the far flung areas of the US contact me.

Cheers Paul

ps. go the bloody kiwis mate!!! :)

roopy

Referee
Paul,
Top stuff mate.
I hope you are getting the Tomahawks v Kangaroos game on video tape so you can show people that League has a foothold in the US.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Capital idea. I know that's what I'd be doing were I in the US and unable to participate in the East coast competition.

Bomber

Bench
Paul

You are a true pioneer :clap:

Have you considered having a video night after some of your touch footy games? Maybe have a BBQ to coincide with the event, set up a data projector, explain the context of the match - who the teams are, what stage of the season, very briefly cover some aspect of the game such as the numbers - and then hit the play button and sit back.

Perhaps I'm a bit biased, but maybe you could show them the Cowboys/Roosters preliminary final from this season? Or the Brisbane/Knights blockbuster from this season? Or the 1997 grand final (the real one)? Or even a video of some sorts with highlights.....

Anyway, keep up the good work. If you need a referee, give me a call. You'll just have to fly me halfway across the world at your expense :twisted:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Some excellent suggestions there Bomber. Any of the Cowboys' semi finals would qualify in my mind though, as long as you explain just how unlikely they were to win prior to showing them. The Knights vs. Brisbane game this year was great as well, although I've an obvious bias since we managed to win it.

I assume by 'real' 1997 GF you're referring to the ARL one? I can imagine anyone actually finding Brisbane's humbling of the Sharks exciting. :p

Ari Gold

Bench
you coud show them any of the warriors vs broncos matches in 2003/2002, they had some great games between them.....

Misanthrope

Staff member
Or almost any clash between the Bulldogs and Roosters (barring this year's somewhat dull grand final). I'd also suggest the Storm vs. Dragons GF of 1999.

Surandy

Bench
I'd recommend the State Of Origin series, any year.

I think it best hilights the tough contest and passion of the supporters.

ledzep

Bench
Savage Panther said:
may be biased here too, but also could show the 2003 GF
boring game

roosters dragons ANZAC day match or roosters dog preliminary final from last year

Bomber

Bench
Paul

Have you checked out the NRL website? They have a multimedia section where you can view the first half of any match in the last three years. I don't think you can download these to file however, and obviously the quality of the play defends on the connection speed.

http://www.nrl.com.au/multimedia/telstravideo.cfm

My personal recommendation - watch the first half of the Bulldogs v Cowboys in the Semi Finals. :D

Moggles

Juniors
It may even be worth your while contacting the NRL for any stuff once you get some league games started..

Dogboy

Juniors
It's not just the first half, it's the whole game you can watch on the NRL website. It's a godsend to any Aussie footy fan living overseas; kept my footy appetite sated when I was living in England for a couple of years.

Bomber

Bench
That's news to me, dogboy. I can't get the second half to open anywhere and I can't find links for them.....

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Top stuff mate.

I'm biased but if you want to show a great game of league show the Sydney Roosters V Canberra Raiders that was played at the SFS on Friday night. That game had everything big hits (Wiki V Morley), Great tries (Mclindens solo effort) and a cliff hanger ending (Fittler's bomb that Schifcofske dropped resulting in a scrum and trie out wide to Heggarty in the 80th minute).

Lantana

Juniors
Paul

There is a DVD out that covers State of Origin RL from 1998 - 2002.

It has everything, big hits, great tries, thrilling finishes etc.

It only covers highlights but has enough continuity to enable the viewer to uderstand what is happening.

Latest posts