What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

V Eels

Benek

Juniors
Wow that's not what expected this year. I don't think I can find a single positive thing to say about that game!

whall15

Coach
ok next week
1 fisiiahi
2 fusitua
3 laumape
4 hurrell
5 manu
6 tomkins
7 johnson
8 matangi
9 friend
10 matulino
11 mannering
12 henry
13 palavi

14 lillyman
15 gubb
16 bhana/ ikihihifo
17 lolohea/ havili /tuimavave

townsend/ bukuya/ lousi/ neilsen to nsw cup

Vote - Dutchy

Alan Johnson

Juniors
It is a typical round 1 performance - the Warriors never start well, it is like they hate the warm weather.

But the Warriors will be there in the end - we really just took advantage of the defence on the edges, that was the difference. Neither kicking game was brilliant - all the criticism on Johnson is harsh, it wasn't a game for the halves to shine. It was a typical bash them up the middle and wait for a hole to open game

They will be there in the end.

Yeah, moaning about or effort aside, your guys played really well I thought. Really brutal up the middle: fast play the balls and forwards carrying lots of momentum. And obviously the shifts to the edges were paying off very nicely. Team looks good.

hitro

Juniors
I reckon it was past their bedtime. Be good if the next night game in Aus they go 3 days early and practice from 10pm to 1 am each night beforehand.

WellsNZ

Juniors
If you tallied them all up I think he made more c**k-ups than anyone yesterday. Not sure though if Townsend isn't partially to blame as well. The one time Manu rushed in and missed, Nielsen was still well and truly entitled to make that tackle anyway.

Carlos' effort was more dreadful imo. Nielsen certainly wasn't good last night either but that wasn't what I was saying at all. Nielsen at least has a track record of being good defensively, the others most certainly do not.

Which is why it's funny when people want to chop him, yes let's get rid of the one back who has a semblance of a clue on defence.

Nielsen made more tackles last night than the rest of the outside backs combined.

Last edited:
I think having Mannering, who is an average toiler a best, as captain of the side is a sign that this team is built on mediocrity and is trying to excel at humility, rather than winning. Most of yesterday's line-up are weak toilers compared to the opposition. All 4 outside backs are like the poor fat kid at the playground, getting bullied by faster, stronger and happier kids.

Izz

Bench
I think having Mannering, who is an average toiler a best, as captain of the side is a sign that this team is built on mediocrity and is trying to excel at humility, rather than winning. Most of yesterday's line-up are weak toilers compared to the opposition. All 4 outside backs are like the poor fat kid at the playground, getting bullied by faster, stronger and happier kids.
991641-trollin_the_hatin.jpg

Alan Johnson

Juniors
Yes and it might be time to ditch the "keep the faith" slogan too. It's clearly a cynical ploy to leverage the religious beliefs of the Warriors core demographic and if it ever was an honest call for solidarity it has surely now run its course. In my view, the idea of faith is at odds with the core values of a rugby league team, such as personal responsibility and selfless toil. I suppose you could say that its about having faith in your teammates but that doesn't really work if your teammates aren't playing with any sort of conviction.

Scott

Bench
A few observations -

* Tomkins struggled defensively & looked shaky under the high ball. He's going to be targeted every week so he needs to sort that out. I'm sure he will.

* Carlos is way way way out of his depth. He actually has no idea in defense. This has been the case since he came into first grade & we have seen zero improvement. He's not up to it.

* Forwards weren't hungry enough. Why arent Matulino & Rapira running at full speed. If they ran like Matagi then the whole side would get a lift & all of a sudden we'd have momentum & go-forward. How is Johnson & Townsend meant to operate with no go-forward. They can't & the won't.

* Feleti Mateo looks very very unfit. If Hurrell wasn't picked, then i'd argue Mateo probably shouldn't have been.

* Lousi probably tried too hard. I think he may be a middle forward rather than a edge player.

* Palavi did his job well. No nonsense, hard working.

* It's only Round 1, plenty to work on - mostly concentration on defense & aggression with the ball!

Iron Lion

Juniors

I agree, Mannering is an average player who is a defensive rock but that's it. The fact he is captain says so much about this Warriors set up.

Nothing against the guy but he has proved for a few seasons now he cant inspire this team. But who could replace him as captain ?

Iron Lion

Juniors
A few observations -

* Tomkins struggled defensively & looked shaky under the high ball. He's going to be targeted every week so he needs to sort that out. I'm sure he will.

* Carlos is way way way out of his depth. He actually has no idea in defense. This has been the case since he came into first grade & we have seen zero improvement. He's not up to it.

* Forwards weren't hungry enough. Why arent Matulino & Rapira running at full speed. If they ran like Matagi then the whole side would get a lift & all of a sudden we'd have momentum & go-forward. How is Johnson & Townsend meant to operate with no go-forward. They can't & the won't.

* Feleti Mateo looks very very unfit. If Hurrell wasn't picked, then i'd argue Mateo probably shouldn't have been.

* Lousi probably tried too hard. I think he may be a middle forward rather than a edge player.

* Palavi did his job well. No nonsense, hard working.

* It's only Round 1, plenty to work on - mostly concentration on defense & aggression with the ball!

Your quote on Carlos is bang on the money, how is ME rating him so ahead in the rankings ? He has not kicked on from his junior talent, he does have vision but they have not worked on making him more opportunities on attack and tighten up on defense. A player getting picked on vision and not current ability, I think he will kick on but if anthing he needs to spend time playing in NSW cup or at fullback for top grade to learn his craft. And with Tomkins and Locke there it aint going to happen. 2 to 3 years off achieving on his talent I think.

Lousi is well over loved on this forum, he is dam set average, never set the world on fire, HE is just holding Vetes and Gubbs place in the short term.

This squad is screaming out for a Sione Faumuina type player, atheletic attacking, aggresive, vision - what a waste of talent that guy became.

One Warrior

Bench
Well that was a big letdown, but to be expected as we can't
win a first round game to save ourselves, why are we always out enthused.
Carlos to reserves, disappointed by Townsend in first half, missed a certain
try by kicking into Hoppas legs instead of passing.

vvvrulz

Coach
I agree, Mannering is an average player who is a defensive rock but that's it. The fact he is captain says so much about this Warriors set up.

Nothing against the guy but he has proved for a few seasons now he cant inspire this team. But who could replace him as captain ?

I don't think Mannering is the ideal captain... but calling him an "average player/toiler" is just ludicrous.

Scott

Bench
This squad is screaming out for a Sione Faumuina type player, atheletic attacking, aggresive, vision - what a waste of talent that guy became.[/QUOTE]

Feleti Mateo is the player. He just needs to switch on & fire up.

Alan Johnson

Juniors
disappointed by Townsend in first half, missed a certain
try by kicking into Hoppas legs instead of passing.

He didn't even look. He'd had success kicking to the in-goal for a drop out on the previous set and it was as if he had become blinkered to any other option. I think both of those kicks were on the third tackle as well.

Latest posts