What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

V Eels

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Running sideways only works when other people are running forward.

Warriors spent too much time ball watching on both sides of the ball.

Alan Johnson

Juniors
Terrible. Can't decide what was the worst aspect of the performance this evening... I think maybe just the general sluggishness of the attack. Parra were carving up the field with vigour and intent while we were content offering predictable one-out runs off the back of slow play-the-balls and Johnson turning it back on the inside.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Basic skills, drop the ball own twenty too many times.

Not enough direct play.

Execution just poor as.

Out enthusiased too.

warrior poet

Juniors
ok next week
1 fisiiahi
2 fusitua
3 laumape
4 hurrell
5 manu
6 tomkins
7 johnson
8 matangi
9 friend
10 matulino
11 mannering
12 henry
13 palavi

14 lillyman
15 gubb
16 bhana/ ikihihifo
17 lolohea/ havili /tuimavave

townsend/ bukuya/ lousi/ neilsen to nsw cup

Definitely need some energy in the backline. Nielsen weak, Fish is weak, Carlos is weak. I agree Laumape, Hurrell and Fusitua would add a lot of spark.
Tomkins was really poor in defense and positioning.
Townsend was very disappointing.
Forwards were missing easy tackles. The team is weak and small.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
ok next week
1 fisiiahi
2 fusitua
3 laumape
4 hurrell
5 manu
6 tomkins
7 johnson
8 matangi
9 friend
10 matulino
11 mannering
12 henry
13 palavi

14 lillyman
15 gubb
16 bhana/ ikihihifo
17 lolohea/ havili /tuimavave

townsend/ bukuya/ lousi/ neilsen to nsw cup

Please tell me you're kidding. That would be a horrible knee jerk reaction to a loss we suffer on a yearly basis.

We're hardly going to fix our edge issues by bringing in 3 guys who got carved up at NSW Cup level over the weekend.

WellsNZ

Juniors
Nielsen is the only one of those outside backs that is remotely close to good defensively.

It's one game, it's stupid to swing the axe too much based on that, you can't just chop and change your team on a whim like that and expect to get anywhere.

Carlos though has no business at centre in that side, Fish has his troubles defensively at times, but I think he can be passable if he's outside somebody in the centres who can actually defend. Any winger you're just setting up to fail on defence when they're playing outside Carlos or Hurrell.

Hurrell sure as f**k wouldn't have solved the defensive woes on that side :lol:

Just give me BHenry in the centres.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Nielsen is the only one of those outside backs that is remotely close to good defensively.

Maybe, but I think his defensive reads are often a fair bit poorer than his reputation suggests they should be. Manu is often in a position where he has overlaps and a hell of a lot of space to cover because Nielsen is still a mile infield.

Looks like another Warriors season where the best mindset to have as a fan is to think the worst and to have zero expectations. Its the only way to stay sane. But its also f*cking tiresome.

shinobi

Juniors
It was like Tomkins thought he was gonna carve up from his first kick return then realised the NRL defence is a lot tougher than superleague so ended up running sideways the rest of the night.

It is a typical round 1 performance - the Warriors never start well, it is like they hate the warm weather.

But the Warriors will be there in the end - we really just took advantage of the defence on the edges, that was the difference. Neither kicking game was brilliant - all the criticism on Johnson is harsh, it wasn't a game for the halves to shine. It was a typical bash them up the middle and wait for a hole to open game

They will be there in the end.

Rebel

First Grade
We are shithouse round 1 every year. In fact, we are crap for the first half of the season. We will slowly come right, we just needed a wake up call after the wankfest from our success over the broncos and at the nines. The only two players that deserve dropping are Tuimavave and lousi .

Rebel

First Grade
I'd throw Laumepe in the centres over Tui and I'd prob put Ikahihifo in for Lousi.

Peyroux isnt back till week three, right?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Daley will be out with a broken nose.

I fear the return of Ropati.

Can see the rest of the team being given a chance at "redemption"

Newtowneel

Juniors
Just rd 1. Parra fans are happy , especially with the defence...welcome to NRL defence Tomkins. He'll adjust ...eventually
\

tangalife

Juniors
Tomkins went well as playmaker but probably found out how tough the nrl is last nite, heel need a few weeks too adjust

Izz

Bench
Sione Lousi same old same old. Sluggish and hands like feet. With certain quarters talking him up i'd actually let myself think he might go all right.

Guy looked okay in the nines because he had time and space to wind up. There's no way he should be playing on the edges in a FG team.

ETA: and what's with the tackling in the air? Really disappointed that got missed, especially seeing as they looked at about a dozen replays searching for a knock-on.

ozbash

Referee
Tomkins was really poor in defense and positioning.

on 2-3 occasions Tomkins was left high and dry going in catching the high ball. he basically had little (if any) support from the inside backs.

both eels wingers scored multiples,,, so where is our weakness ?

leaving Konrad in reggies really taught him/the team a lesson..

Rich102

Staff member
Yep. When both opposition wingers score hat tricks it's clear there is a problem out wide.
I thought a couple of times Neilsen is very slow.

The team tried but the half-time score flattered them.
Coming out for the second half I knew we were in trouble. The Eels were upbeat and talking - we were heads down and quiet.

I thought Tomkins went OK considering he was hung out to dry on defense. Going up for a high ball with the only players close to him 5 Eels attackers.

At one stage in the second half I thought Johnson had gone off. I had to look to find him. MIA.

It will be interesting to see if this was a blip or what we can expect for the rest of the season.

Roll on Eden Park.

Skinner

Coach
Not sure that you can read too much into the first game of a season. It was a good result for Parra though, after the crap they have been through.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach

If you tallied them all up I think he made more c**k-ups than anyone yesterday. Not sure though if Townsend isn't partially to blame as well. The one time Manu rushed in and missed, Nielsen was still well and truly entitled to make that tackle anyway.

Latest posts