What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Valentine Holmes NFL career

Legion

Juniors
If Holmes isn’t willing to giving himself at least 2 seasons to make a proper go of it, then he might as well come home now. Hayne had a genuine shot to make the transition, but threw it away on his rugby “dream” (or potentially having some reason to leave the country ASAP...)

Holmes looked pretty decent for a guy who has zero experience. He’s destined for the practice squad, then we’ll see how committed he actually is.

Would love to see a league player go at a younger age and get some college experience. The Polynesian youth is an untapped market for the NFL, and they probably don’t come with all the baggage of rising elephants to practice and what not

From what I read he was shown the door. Dropping the ball was THE cardinal sin.
He blew his big chance and was the reason why he was let go.

Many of us could have told the Americans that Hayne would blow it sooner or later because he's so inconsistent.
Hayne has the size, speed, strength and natural skill to have been able to succeed at any one of three footy codes but his flaky piss-poor attitude has always been his Achilles heel.

Last edited:

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Holmes looked pretty decent when catching the ball however like Jarryd Hayne he didn't seem to have much clue when rushing

Danish

Referee
There are actually a lot of Polynesians in the NFL, apparently a boy born to Samoan parents is over 50 times more likely to play in the NFL than any other child in America. Basically per capita players of Polynesian and in particular Samoan descent are overrepresented in the NFL.

Most of them are linemen though I thought? Nowhere near as many in skill positions. There should be a tonne of Polynesian running backs and receivers.

Plus, the Samoans that are there are generally the American Samoan kids who come through college. They should be tapping all the poly kids like rugby currently does.

Legion

Juniors
Holmes looked pretty decent when catching the ball however like Jarryd Hayne he didn't seem to have much clue when rushing

I've only seen a few highlights of Hayne running the ball and he did okay. He's big, strong, fast and is well suited to that position ..... when he's in the mood that is.

Catching high balls however, he's not so good at or maybe he wasn't in the right mood and had other things on his mind?
Maybe he was thinking of that nights party of drunken debauchery, being the good Christian boy that he is. [God will forgive him apparently if he shows contrition the morning after. .... isn't that how it works?]

jaseg

Juniors
Most of them are linemen though I thought? Nowhere near as many in skill positions. There should be a tonne of Polynesian running backs and receivers.

Plus, the Samoans that are there are generally the American Samoan kids who come through college. They should be tapping all the poly kids like rugby currently does.

I can only think of 2 Poly guys that I'd consider starters and aren't OLs or DTs.. Manti Te'o, Saints LB (this is the catfish guy) and Albert Wilson, Dolphins WR. About 7 linemen starters (Iupati, Buckner, Shelton, Halapio, Tevi, Stanley, Vea.. maybe Vaitai at Eagles LG also). edit: there's a guy on the Lions that got overdrafted and might get pushed into starting at LB because they're awful at LB. Forget his name.

Tua seems like the slam dunk #1 overall pick in the 2020 draft at this point, though - and his brother is highly touted also (both QBs). And there's a fair chance of seeing another LB as a starter in 2020 (Takitaki on the Browns, no way they keep the Kirksey contract and Takitaki is the kind of psycho that will hurt Lamar Jackson).

Not really up to the NFL about tapping up these kids though... that's on the college system. I'd be interested to see some of the college programs that get locked out of the 4/5 star recruit market go look at talent elsewhere.. but they seem fairly insular for the most part.

unforgiven

Bench

Good point

The unknown

Juniors
Yeah he won't be making it

we'll see how dedicated he really is when he'll have to spend a year in the practice squad

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
In 2019, the deadline for NFL teams to cut their rosters down to 53 players is Saturday, Aug. 31 at 4 p.m. ET.

For Cowboy fans, maybe not Drinkwater.

Generalzod

Immortal
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nfl/ho...gatecrash-nfl-pre-season-20190828-p52lhl.html

Australian sporting history is set to be made this week with four Australians, including rugby league converts Valentine Holmes and Jordan Mailata, potentially facing off when the New York Jets play the Philadelphia Eagles.

Former Cronulla NRL star Holmes and Mornington Peninsula-raised punter Lachlan Edwards will suit up for the Jets on Thursday at New Jersey's MetLife Stadium.

nick87

Coach
Mailata has missed practise of late with a back injury and oddly enough has played well enough that he’s been speculated as a potential trade chip for his team to land another impact player

I don’t think he’ll play in this up coming game. He’s had plenty of work this preseason

Smack

Coach
Yeah he won't be making it

we'll see how dedicated he really is when he'll have to spend a year in the practice squad

They have a special roster spot for internationals, he will most likely get a few snaps throughout the year

justdave

Juniors
I don’t want be a negative arsehole but Val left the NRL and is trying a different sport.
Wouldn’t it be better if this thread was moved to the NFL thread?

nick87

Coach
They have a special roster spot for internationals, he will most likely get a few snaps throughout the year

yeah the jets will very likely put him in that extra PS spot they get for carrying him... the problem is he'll earn about $130k between now and Christmas to be on that PS and continue.

Or he can walk away and collect what? 700k? 800k? a year back here with the Cowboys playing RL.
That's a BIG pay cut to come back in 12 months time and have another crack at the roster.

unforgiven

Bench
I can't see him playing this year, he will go to the Practice squad and they will coach him up over the next 12 months and then make a decision on him this time next year.
he will have to decide if he is willing to wait 12 months!

LineBall

Juniors
I can't see him playing this year, he will go to the Practice squad and they will coach him up over the next 12 months and then make a decision on him this time next year.
he will have to decide if he is willing to wait 12 months!
Any idea what he will earn over those 12 months?