What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vella to Wigan?

Suitman

Post Whore
Haynzy said:
It seems to me that Mick can't win.....
Yes he's had a shocking couple of seasons, I'm sure he knows that and if he has any pride in himself he'd feel pretty bad about it.

This is a new year but if he goes well it's because his contract is up. :roll:

Give the guy a break.
I hope he has a blinder and gets called back up to the NSW and Australian sides.and signs on for more years and premierships to come at the eels.

I hope he does too considering he is still with us but he has given us nothing but half-hearted shit for two years.
If he doesn't do something quickly, I really couldn't give a rat's where he goes.

Suity

damo72

Juniors
I was a fan of his barnstorming runs and line breaks but as a fair few others have stated, the last couple of years have been, well it would be a compliment to call them ordinary. If he is this supposed leader this season, why wasn't he doing it last season when we really needed someone apart from Hindy.
Personally if he stays he will have a blinder and not because everyone else says this but they are on the mark, it is contract time and he will step up, but I would rather see him pack his bags and leave.

Suitman

Post Whore
damo72 said:
If he is this supposed leader this season, why wasn't he doing it last season when we really needed someone apart from Hindy.

That is a very good question.
Didn't do a lot for his quarter million did he?

Suity

bartman

Immortal
Wow. What a story!

He's under contract, so you know the Eels wouldn't release Vella if he's a big part of their plans this year. We all know what he's capable of, and we all know we haven't seen it on the paddock for a fair while... I think it's clear he needs to show that form to again to get a contract with the Eels beyond 2005.

My guess is the coaching staff will form an opinion based on his training so far and form in the coming trials. If they still see the promise and think Vella's top 18 material they'll keep him. If they think he's dropped out of that, I'd say he'll get a release (if he wants one). It's too late for us to buy anyone, so it would be a decision based on who's at the club already.

My opinion is that Vella would be useful to have around this year, but not essential next year when young forwards like Cordoba, Hauraki etc are a year older and more experienced?

bartman said:
Wow. What a story!

He's under contract, so you know the Eels wouldn't release Vella if he's a big part of their plans this year. We all know what he's capable of, and we all know we haven't seen it on the paddock for a fair while... I think it's clear he needs to show that form to again to get a contract with the Eels beyond 2005.

My guess is the coaching staff will form an opinion based on his training so far and form in the coming trials. If they still see the promise and think Vella's top 18 material they'll keep him. If they think he's dropped out of that, I'd say he'll get a release (if he wants one). It's too late for us to buy anyone, so it would be a decision based on who's at the club already.

My opinion is that Vella would be useful to have around this year, but not essential next year when young forwards like Cordoba, Hauraki etc are a year older and more experienced?

After thinking about it your dead set spot on Keep him this year but don't re-sign him for next year. We do have have Cordoba, Jack Afa, Huaraki and Tsoulos who are keen to go.

Just found this article

Vella happy to remain at home
By James Hooper
February 3, 2005

FORMER Australian prop Michael Vella has dismissed the possibility of joining English Super League giants Wigan in favour of staying at Parramatta.

Wigan originally approached Vella last season about moving to the UK in 2005, but the Eels prop is adamant he has unfinished business in the NRL.

Once a regular in the NSW Origin squad, Vella has admitted the quality of his football has suffered over the past two seasons.

But rather than taking the easy option of a big-money offer in England, the Eels prop wants to attempt to return to peak form in the NRL.

"[Wigan] are talking about going over straight away from what I've heard but I'm contracted to Parramatta for the rest of this year," Vella said.

"If I can improve my football this season and get back to where I was a couple of years ago then I would like to stay at Parramatta.

"I signed a contract with the Eels a couple of seasons ago, where I am a local junior, and I intend to see it out.

"I'm very happy where I am, we've bought well, we look like having a strong side and I believe we're a real chance at a premiership."

Wigan must now continue what has developed into a desperate search for an Australian import prop after former Canberra front-rower Luke Davico tore his pectoral muscle last week. South Sydney rejected an offer to release captain Bryan Fletcher to Wigan on Tuesday, prompting the Vella link to arise again.

While Vella has not completely ruled out playing in England before his career finishes, for the time being the Eels prop wants to concentrate on remaining a one-club player with the Eels.

Off-contract at the end of this season, Vella has set himself to recapture his best form after the Eels recruited props Chad Robinson and Paul Stringer for this season.

"To be honest I'm not really looking to go anywhere, I'd really like to remain a one-club man in the NRL with Parramatta," Vella said.

"Nathan Hindmarsh and Nathan Cayless recently extended their deals and look like being one-club men and that's something I would also like to do. But if that doesn't happen then I will have to look at all the options.

"Further down the track I might look at going overseas to England and travelling to see what their competition is like."

Vella's manager David Riolo, from Titan management group, said the Wigan approach had initially come last season but Vella had chosen to reject it.

SOUTH Sydney will today unveil a new major sponsorship announcement at NRL headquarters.

Rabbitohs chief executive Shane Richardson and chairman Nicholas Pappas will attend the announcement.

The Daily Telegraph

Wow Vella is showing some passion here, didn't know he had any. I mean he sounds like he cares. I hope he proves me wrong this year but I highly doubt it.

Utey

Coach
Id have passion as well if I was getting paid 250K. Iam glad he is staying.

Stagger eel

Staff member
those of you have fallen quite ill at reading that article? I hope your feeling better soon!!! :D

Go gettem Micky!!! :D

Haynzy

First Grade
fish eel said:
Maybe we put him a widders styled contract...year to year!

I think that may be the go......
especially if it's not about money but about pride.....ie 'unfinished business in the NRL'

Stagger eel

Staff member
I don't think Mick would drop his sallery if he was to sign a short term contract. I can see him taking a pay cut to stay if it was a 3 year contract.

It remains to be seen how he'll go this year, but UTE you are right for 250K he'll be anyones friend.

Utey

Coach
He wont do that. Most players want security these days which means they look for 2 year contracts as a minimum. If he gets injured and cant play we wouldnt resign him so that why IMO most players are hesitant to signing such short contracts.