What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Viable option to replace Griffin or should he stay.

tripster

Juniors
Yeah was an ugly win. We needed it though. The players were starting to look a bit down. Mansour and his knee. Moylan and his pass. DWZ looks like the most confident player out there. Really hope that picks them up.

I was a bit concerned about Mansour yesterday. I didn't realise he was such a confidence player (I guess given he has been on a tear for the best part of two years), but he seemed really flat yesterday. I suspect he blames himself for the loss to NQ and hasn't quite got over it. I also noticed that Dylan Edwards took nearly all of the kick returns himself and hardly passed any off to Josh, so Josh really didn't get a chance to touch the ball much yesterday. Then on the few occasions that he did touch it, he wasn't his usual damaging best. I hope he gets back to his old self soon.

panther.mike

Juniors
I like a good game and if I can;t get that any type of win will do me any day. 14 to 4 penalty count means the referees were to blame.

To put it in a more clearer perspective,8 points is the best defensive effort all season by any team V Manly.Before our game,Manly had always scored 10 or more points.

And as they say,it is defense that wins you games.And remember,we did it without Whare.

Looking back I do think it was a better performance than I initially gave the team credit for, particularly in defence.

But the major issue is still not being able to formulate a plan in the last 20m. Our tactics are absolute rubbish.

LOWLIGHT II
So Anthony Griffin tells us through Paul Crawley that Penrith’s five-year-plan, which is actually now a seven-year plan, is in fact a 10-year-plan. He says anyone who tipped his Panthers to make the top four doesn’t know football. Publicly telling your own players they’re not good enough to be premiership contenders is surely a bigger sign of a person who doesn’t know football.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/d1cbb93ef0cfcff3b021ea6b6040159a

It's only buzz but the media are starting to see through Griffin, more talk is a good thing.

mxlegend99

Referee
To put it in a more clearer perspective,8 points is the best defensive effort all season by any team V Manly.Before our game,Manly had always scored 10 or more points.

And as they say,it is defense that wins you games.And remember,we did it without Whare.
Whare is not as good defensively as he used to be. Peachey or Whare... you dont lose much in defence.

DWZ looked much better this week. I think he feels more comfortable outside of Blake. He atleast looks more confident. Maybe Blake helps create more space simply by being there even if we refuse to pass it to him.

OldPanther

Coach
Whare is not as good defensively as he used to be. Peachey or Whare... you dont lose much in defence.

DWZ looked much better this week. I think he feels more comfortable outside of Blake. He atleast looks more confident. Maybe Blake helps create more space simply by being there even if we refuse to pass it to him.

They were winning combinations last year. I'm guessing it's definitely a comfort thing. Peach made a few dodgy decisions in defence but I'm guessing that's from being put on the bench all year.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
With all that ball against Manly we were only able to come up with 2 line breaks in the whole game.

DWZ's kick return and Tamou's try is also classed as a line break.

I've been saying all season that Griffin doesn't have the tactical nous to break down a good defensive side.

Seeing as Griffin isn't going anywhere we may as well drop Peach and Blake, I'm not even taking the piss. No point having centres with this attacking structure. Push Yeo/CHN wider and play two more back rowers

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Seeing as Griffin isn't going anywhere we may as well drop Peach and Blake, I'm not even taking the piss. No point having centres with this attacking structure. Push Yeo/CHN wider and play two more back rowers

Blake was getting frustrated with the lack of ball on Saturday. He threw his head back at one point.

5 runs on Saturday. Most of those were just runs from dummy half or one off the ruck in our own end.

What a waste of a devastating ball runner.

kinghippo

Juniors
The flat attack griffin has adopted is horrible but the skills of yeo and chn have made it look good for us a few times this year.
Flat attack can be effective with our strong back rowers but it needs be fluid enough to change for plays 4 and 5.

There is no reason the backs can't stay deep with a couple 2nd rowers or forwards running decoy / flat short ball or cut out options.

The play that needs to change is when the forwards get us rolling with a bit of space and a quick play. The next pass is always to the 2nd rowers again instead of peachy / Blake.

I know Moylan is still finding his feet at 5/8, but he should focus on is his patience and play selection. He is getting the ball to much again at the moment. He has to trust his team a bit more to come up with some good plays.

I would like to see the sweeping backline play Moylan tried once or twice a set last year used by Edwards. Coming into the line from the back of the play the ball, I haven't seen him passing a lot but it is a basic set play that can be hard to handle.

martielang

Bench

Yes you do.

Peachey was continuously found out at the start of the year (hence why he was put back to the bench) and was found out on Saturday night again.

Whare does miss more tackles then previous years but his general reading of the game and body position is far superior to Peacheys.

Yes you do.

Peachey was continuously found out at the start of the year (hence why he was put back to the bench) and was found out on Saturday night again.

Whare does miss more tackles then previous years but his general reading of the game and body position is far superior to Peacheys.
Wow something we agree on

betcats

Referee
Whare has been found out a number of times this season also. The first bunnies game, the warriors game off the top of my head. His decision making and reading has been very poor at times and responsible for a number of tries. Defensively overall Whare has been poor this year that is for sure, I wouldn't call it a strength anymore when he is making errors as often as he does. I think had Peachey been left there all year he would be on a similar level defensively and has always been on another level with the ball.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Peachey is an atrocious defender. Moylan, Peachey and Mansour together has me nervous against Johnson and RTS, as they target that side of the field.

ashton

Juniors
Peachey is an atrocious defender. Moylan, Peachey and Mansour together has me nervous against Johnson and RTS, as they target that side of the field.
Agree.......but Super Coach Griffin (SCG) will come up with another one of his master game plans to beat the warriors.

mxlegend99

Referee
Yes you do.

Whare has a worse tackle rate than Peachey and makes poor reads nearly every game also.

If you look at Whare on his 2017 season alone he offers next to nothing. Its easy to look at him as the 2014 centre who was arguably both the best defensive centre and best at setting his winger up. But he isnt close to that player this year.

Peachey averages 14.7 tackles for 2.6 missed.
Whare averages 8.8 tackles for 1.9 missed.

Whare has a higher missed tackle rate. You are not losing anything defensively. Shit for shit basically.

Im not suggesting Peachey is a good defender. Just that Whare isn't anymore.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Whare has a worse tackle rate than Peachey and makes poor reads nearly every game also.

If you look at Whare on his 2017 season alone he offers next to nothing. Its easy to look at him as the 2014 centre who was arguably both the best defensive centre and best at setting his winger up. But he isnt close to that player this year.

Peachey averages 14.7 tackles for 2.6 missed.
Whare averages 8.8 tackles for 1.9 missed.

Whare has a higher missed tackle rate. You are not losing anything defensively. Shit for shit basically.

Im not suggesting Peachey is a good defender. Just that Whare isn't anymore.

Does the above average take into account Peachey playing in the forwards? His tackle efficiency is a lot worse in the centres.

betcats

Referee
Does the above average take into account Peachey playing in the forwards? His tackle efficiency is a lot worse in the centres.

Of course it does. His missed tackle rate was better last year than Whares in 14 also, he did spend in the forwards last year mostly on the edge but some at hooker as well as five eighth. He did play more games at centre than other position. He really should've never been moved, I personally think its one of Griffins worst decisions along with refusing to move Moylan. Peachey has x factor that we desperately need on the field for 80 minutes. I think its worth risking worse defence in the centres for what he brings. It kills me watching him sit on the bench for half a game.

Last edited:

martielang

Bench
f**k me, agreeing with Umina Panther, as if Monday mornings couldn't get any worse!

Do missed tackles take into account how many times a player turns his outside shoulder in giving the opposing centre an untouched stroll to the try line on the outside? I love Peach, but that's his favourite defensive tactic.

Latest posts