What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Victorian sentiment

Brutus

Referee
Have a listen to SEN radio at the moment.

Vic fans are bagging the sh*t out of Ch 9 and Gus Gould for his biased commentary.

Good to hear the fans south of the Murray getting passionate.

The channel 9 coverage was pathetic...poor camera angles, gould was okay.

To end the coverage before the medal ceremony and the cup being presented was a slap in the face for Storm fans.

Channel 9 is truly pathetic !!

Scorpio30

Bench
Richo of Melbourne Posted at 8:21 PM October 04, 2009
What a joke of a sport, seriously. Not one player in the Storm is originally from Melbourne. They're just a bunch of talentless brutes from up north, chasing bigger pay packets in a single-club state. NRL players in general are just stocky thugs who are not athletic or talented enough to be successful in another sport. Really... what do they do? They run a bit, crash into some blokes, stop, get up and start again in what's a consistently low scoring affair. There is little to no skill involved. Besides, nobody cares this side of the Murray River. After watching the AFL GF, this match was an embarrassment for NRL and its fans. I don't know how you NRL fans do it - you must have hollow heads to find this stop-start rubbish entertaining!! Give me a Sydney Swans vs. Fremantle match any day. NRL will ALWAYS be the poorer little sister of AFL in this country.
Comment 10 of 82

Anyone agree?!

Goddo

Bench
Look at whats happening. Regardless of the poor coverage, the Victorians are whinging that it wasn't good enough! That can only be a good sign, that they care, despite the dumb AFL posts, and that they want more on TV...

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Victorians are parochial as hell which the Storm could really use in their favour. The only problem is because of this parochialism its tricky to get them to accept Rugby League in the first place.

Reading the comments its clear to see that Victorians dig Victoria.

user_nat

Coach
I thought Gould was the least biased of the lot. Only one to make positive comments to the Storm.

Everyone else seemed to jump out of their seat every time the Eels looked like touching the ball.

ironhorse

Juniors
unfortunately for the 9 commentators they are just not impartial enough to have balance ... this has been the case for 6 weeks though not just against the Storm in last nights GF .

Ray Warren = parramatta fan
Stirling = Parramatta legend
Andrew.Johns = parramatta coaching staff
and dont forget ray Hadley = parramatta fan

That's why we hear the vinegar stroke comments everytime Hayne train gets the ball in his hands all finals series .

Last edited:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
unfortunately for the 9 commentators they are just not impartial enough to have balance ... this has been the case for 6 weeks though not just against the Storm in last nights GF .

Ray Warren = parramatta fan
Stirling = Parramatta legend
Andrew.Johns = parramatta coaching staff
and dont forget ray Hadley = parramatta fan

That's why we hear the vinegar stroke comments everytime Hayne train gets the ball in his hands all finals series .

Everyone in the game started out as Rugby League fan.
Listen to Phil Goulds bias commentary in the Eels vs Dogs game. 2 minutes to go, Parra have it wrapped up and the Bulldogs are forced to a line drop out, and Gus says "stand and applaud the Bulldogs defence" when if the shoe was on the other foot, Gus would say "relentless, the Dogs of War" all that crap.

Dont watch the Super League or the 4 nations with the English commentators, you will wish you were deaf.

retch

Juniors
What a joke of a sport, seriously. Not one player in the Storm is originally from Melbourne. They're just a bunch of talentless brutes from up north, chasing bigger pay packets in a single-club state. NRL players in general are just stocky thugs who are not athletic or talented enough to be successful in another sport. Really... what do they do? They run a bit, crash into some blokes, stop, get up and start again in what's a consistently low scoring affair. There is little to no skill involved. Besides, nobody cares this side of the Murray River. After watching the AFL GF, this match was an embarrassment for NRL and its fans. I don't know how you NRL fans do it - you must have hollow heads to find this stop-start rubbish entertaining!! Give me a Sydney Swans vs. Fremantle match any day. NRL will ALWAYS be the poorer little sister of AFL in this country.
Comment 10 of 82

Anyone agree?!

I have friends in Victoria and this is exactly how they think...plus they struggle to work out the difference between League and Union.

dclayw

Juniors
Everyone in the game started out as Rugby League fan.
Listen to Phil Goulds bias commentary in the Eels vs Dogs game. 2 minutes to go, Parra have it wrapped up and the Bulldogs are forced to a line drop out, and Gus says "stand and applaud the Bulldogs defence" when if the shoe was on the other foot, Gus would say "relentless, the Dogs of War" all that crap.

Dont watch the Super League or the 4 nations with the English commentators, you will wish you were deaf.
Agree with that. But the bias in the commentary this year has been a bit over the top and is not good for the game. It was very obvious with Ray Warren this year and not just because of Parra's late run. Stirlo is pretty good overall but Parra's surge just got the better of him, which is to be expected I guess. I used the mute button quite a lot this year.

I also don't think it appropriate that one of the commentators (Johns) is seen coaching the losing team at half-time. I understand he may have some commercial relationship with the team but on game day he is either a commentator or not.

retch

Juniors
Agree with that. But the bias in the commentary this year has been a bit over the top and is not good for the game. It was very obvious with Ray Warren this year and not just because of Parra's late run. Stirlo is pretty good overall but Parra's surge just got the better of him, which is to be expected I guess. I used the mute button quite a lot this year.

I also don't think it appropriate that one of the commentators (Johns) is seen coaching the losing team at half-time. I understand he may have some commercial relationship with the team but on game day he is either a commentator or not.

Sterlo and Johns put me right off so I went to the 2GB commentry...but there was a delay in that so I went back to Nine in the end.

I guess it's hard when you're hearts at the club though.:?

You're a disgrace channel nein.
You're willing to delay news coverage for a trivial game of cricket but not for the most important game of all.

ashrafieh

Juniors
Comment 10 of 82

Anyone agree?!

What did he expect? Just wake up one day and 17 Melbourne bornm players would play in the NRL for the Storm? Melbourne Storm SG Ball team made the Grand Final this year and that team was made up of Melbourne born & raised players... They lost to a Bulldog side that is jam packed with Junior rep players.

Things are coming along nicely for the Storm... With the new stadium next year expect it to pick up!

Apey

Staff member
I would have been devastated not being able to see my team hold up the trophy after the game. It's beyond terrible.

Latest posts