What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Victorian sentiment

Hanscholo

Bench
I have friends in Victoria and this is exactly how they think...plus they struggle to work out the difference between League and Union.

I work with two victorians, both love sport and in particular AFL. They know all of the league players, who is good and who isnt. They quite like the game, especially when its played like parra and a few other sides play it in an open attacking style. I think taking a comment of a victorian that is clearly biased and intent on ruling the world with their sport is kind of dangerous. League is doing vastly better in victoria than most people think, the junior system is flourishing, crowds for the storm have been good and there are signs that the people of melbourne have taken to their side a hell of a lot more than sydney folk have taken to the transplanted swans organisation. So what if a few people have no idea of the difference between league and union, we are making headway into the heart of AFL territory and for every two that have NFI about league there is another one prepared to look at it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ch9 Perth finally showed the pre and post game stuff and all live. 1st time in over a decade!

re commentory, watch it in the pub like I did then you can't hear the biased fools!

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Originally Posted by Scorpio30
Richo of Melbourne Posted at 8:21 PM October 04, 2009
What a joke of a sport, seriously. Not one player in the Storm is originally from Melbourne. They're just a bunch of talentless brutes from up north, chasing bigger pay packets in a single-club state. NRL players in general are just stocky thugs who are not athletic or talented enough to be successful in another sport. Really... what do they do? They run a bit, crash into some blokes, stop, get up and start again in what's a consistently low scoring affair. There is little to no skill involved. Besides, nobody cares this side of the Murray River. After watching the AFL GF, this match was an embarrassment for NRL and its fans. I don't know how you NRL fans do it - you must have hollow heads to find this stop-start rubbish entertaining!! Give me a Sydney Swans vs. Fremantle match any day. NRL will ALWAYS be the poorer little sister of AFL in this country.
Comment 10 of 82

Anyone agree?!

I wonder how many Western Sydney players he is expecting to line up for the AFL team in 2012.........I'll start with, none!!!

The RL equivilant of the AFL going into Western Sydney is us going into Melbourne....I'd say we are doing bloody good in all areas, development, stadium etc.

LESStar58

Referee
I wonder how many Western Sydney players he is expecting to line up for the AFL team in 2012.........I'll start with, none!!!

The RL equivilant of the AFL going into Western Sydney is us going into Melbourne....I'd say we are doing bloody good in all areas, development, stadium etc.

Wow.... wonder what Western sydney think of AFL!?!?!

Haffa

Everyone in the game started out as Rugby League fan.
Listen to Phil Goulds bias commentary in the Eels vs Dogs game. 2 minutes to go, Parra have it wrapped up and the Bulldogs are forced to a line drop out, and Gus says "stand and applaud the Bulldogs defence" when if the shoe was on the other foot, Gus would say "relentless, the Dogs of War" all that crap.

Dont watch the Super League or the 4 nations with the English commentators, you will wish you were deaf.
Not that I was happy with his commentary during the game you mentioned but Gus was a former Canterbury Player and coach so you could kinda understand whay he was behind the dogs.

Warren Smith on Fox Sports is the worse then all of them combined.

Shire Panther

Juniors
Richo of Melbourne Posted at 8:21 PM October 04, 2009
What a joke of a sport, seriously. Not one player in the Storm is originally from Melbourne. They're just a bunch of talentless brutes from up north, chasing bigger pay packets in a single-club state. NRL players in general are just stocky thugs who are not athletic or talented enough to be successful in another sport. Really... what do they do? They run a bit, crash into some blokes, stop, get up and start again in what's a consistently low scoring affair. There is little to no skill involved. Besides, nobody cares this side of the Murray River. After watching the AFL GF, this match was an embarrassment for NRL and its fans. I don't know how you NRL fans do it - you must have hollow heads to find this stop-start rubbish entertaining!! Give me a Sydney Swans vs. Fremantle match any day. NRL will ALWAYS be the poorer little sister of AFL in this country.
Comment 10 of 82

Anyone agree?!

How many of the Swans players were born and breed in Sydney?? How many Brisbane Bears players are born and bred in Brissy??? not many i bet and both those teams have been around a hell of alot longer than the Storm. Another Victorian with blinkers on.

roopy

Referee
I like to look at TV rateings in Victoria, and they seem to increase on average about 5k for every big game - which includes SOO, Big tests and finals games.
We are slowly making ground down there, and the new stadium, new lower grade sides and the great team they have are all contributing.
I'm really hopeing for 350k people having watched the GF in Victoria.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
And most of those guys parents originated from southern states.

Fact is more people move north due to lifestyle than the other way.

Thomas

First Grade
And most of those guys parents originated from southern states.

And most of the young Victorian kids coming through the Vic system have parents who are from NSW/QLD/NZ/Pac islands.

Not that it matters. They are still starting to produce the players that, in a few years time, will join the seniors.

The difference between AFL in NSW/Qld and RL in Victoria is that Aussie Rules has been played to a higher level in QLD/NSW for a longer time than RL has in Victoria. As much as the AFL-haters will deny it, Aussie Rules has a fairly long history up here.

RL not so in Victoria. There are only 13 or so clubs down there. 13 but they are growing. The Storm's success will help.

roopy

Referee
Aussie Rules was played in Sydney for a few decades before RL existed - not that that has any impact on current numbers.

Western_Eel

Juniors
I like to look at TV rateings in Victoria, and they seem to increase on average about 5k for every big game - which includes SOO, Big tests and finals games.
We are slowly making ground down there, and the new stadium, new lower grade sides and the great team they have are all contributing.
I'm really hopeing for 350k people having watched the GF in Victoria.
650k actually
http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2009/10/nrl-final-scores-2-41m.html

Thomas

First Grade
Aussie Rules was played in Sydney for a few decades before RL existed - not that that has any impact on current numbers.

Very true.

RL has always existed in Victoria (well since it was 'invented') but it's level of participation has wavered from nearly non-existant to the level about now (the highest it has been).

maccattack

Juniors

coolumsharkie

Referee
What did he expect? Just wake up one day and 17 Melbourne bornm players would play in the NRL for the Storm? Melbourne Storm SG Ball team made the Grand Final this year and that team was made up of Melbourne born & raised players... They lost to a Bulldog side that is jam packed with Junior rep players.

Things are coming along nicely for the Storm... With the new stadium next year expect it to pick up!

I'd like to know how long it took for the the Swans to have Born and bred players.. How many are there now? Anyone know?

You'll be waiting an eternity for someone out of the Gold Coast AFL reps teams to make the GC AFL team I'd imagine... Also another flaw in that wankers comment, No Athletes eh?... Two words mo fo Karmicheal Hunt.

What AFL player has played rugby league in modern times?

Western_Eel

Juniors
Well well well. When I called 9 last week (as I mentioned in another thread) complaining about the poor coverage. Our parting comments were about the potential ratings.

I suggested that they might get 500 k. The programme execs response was (ever so sarcastically) "If we get 500 thousand we will be celebrating".

MUST BE FARKIN PARTY TIME AT NINE MELBOURNE THEN 'EY
This is proof that it needs to be shown live in Vic!
how do we find the ratings for fox?

maccattack

Juniors
I find it totally incredulous that they say "we announced we'd be going straight to the news" as if that makes it OK.

Who heard the announcement anyway???

Latest posts