What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video Games As Movies

adamkungl

Immortal
Mass Effect worries me because of the depth of story you mentioned. Won't be easy cramming a 20-30+ hour game into 90-120 minutes while still providing enough action to keep the drones happy.

Imo the story of Mass Effect 1 would have made a pretty awesome sci fi movie. Mind you, I wouldnt want to see that movie now because i've already played through it. But the ME series has a sh*t-tonne of lore/backstory crammed into it which something could be made out of it.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Fall out would be awesome, I think RPGs in general would make a better cross over.

If the make a MGS movie where would they start?? The story expands over multiple years. The only real option would be to make a story for the movie, hideo kojima has been longing for a MGS movie, I doubt he wants to reuse a story from a game.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Fall out would be awesome, I think RPGs in general would make a better cross over.

If the make a MGS movie where would they start?? The story expands over multiple years. The only real option would be to make a story for the movie, hideo kojima has been longing for a MGS movie, I doubt he wants to reuse a story from a game.

MGS has stalled as well. The problem is a creative dispute between Sony and Hideo Kojima.

David Hayter is attached as a script writer. He did X-men, X2, Watchmen, but also is the voice of Solid Snake so he knows the character quite well I'd say.

this is piss easy. wheres my development deal?

i dare say manhunt is really just more gorey "runningman"

still, itd be a good thriller

condemned criminal gets ut on death row for a crime he didnt commit. gets the gas chamber....

wakes up. turns out he's part of an under ground bloodsport. has to survive wild gangs of freaks and a mutant pig with a chainsaw!

sweet movie IMO

next game...

Madden

starring adam sandler.

The Buffalo Bills owner dies suddenly eaving his misfit under achieving son (Will Arnett) as the owner and GM of the team.

hilarity ensues as he trades all his drft picks for michael vick and TO and Derek Jeter, moves the team to los angeles and calls them the Bling. the team now wears pink and orange

Bills fans coalition (Sandler)
challenges Arnett to a madden game get control of the team back to Buffalo.

next!

Guitar Hero!

Struggling musician (Michael Cera) gets electrocuted in freak lightning strike whilst playing guitar hero. suddenly has all the combined skills of hendrick, page, slash, hammett combined. loses his guitar powers. has to go to guitar yoda (willie nelson) to get them back.

Eelementary

Post Whore
As we know, more than a fair few of games have been butchered through poor made movies, and it would appear that some of my fav games are scheduled to be made into movies in the next few years.

Question is, are you looking forward to any of these movies, very nervous about these movies butchering the games, or are there any games you think should be a movie?

Not a complete list, but some of the upcoming (2011-2013) video game releases are...

Halo
Bioshock
Metal Gear Solid
Fallout
Kane And Lynch
God Of War
Uncharted
Infamous
Just Cause
Mass Effect
The Sims
Dead Space
Gears Of War
The Suffering
Warcraft
Splinter Cell

:shock:

They can't butcher it, though - just stay close to the original scripts and you'll be fine. Kojima is a master story-teller IMO.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Love Jason Statham, but he only plays Poms. No, if you want someone to play Solid Snake, I'd go for one of the following IMO:

* Randy Couture - a real-life MMA expert, middle-aged, likeable...Not an "actor" per se but he could pull it off.

* Dwayne Johnson - charismatic, fit, would be able to pull it off. Only minor flaw would be he is not Caucasian. Then again, Will Smith played Jim West, so...

* Chuck Norris - not a fan, personally. But he could pull it off.

If they want a Solid Snake closer to the one seen in MGS, then I'd go for:

* Ryan Reynolds - is he the hottest commodity in Hollywood right nor or what?

* Leo DiCaprio - though he's probably not big enough physically.

Parra Pride

Referee
Anyone who likes the idea of a game being turned into a movie needs to go watch the Mario movie and realise just how bad they can turn out.

Munky

Coach
Mass Effect would work best as a Battlestar Gallactica style TV series. Series 1 and 2 of BSG IMO is some of the best televsion ever made.

Uncharted could work but it is a shame that Nathan Fillion is about 10 years to old to play Drake.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I just thought of the perfect Solid Snake: Liv Schreiber. Seriously - how badass was he as Sabretooth?

Caged Panther

First Grade
Halo has been cancelled twice by two different studios due to budget issues and is still scheduled to be made.

My understanding of the issues with Halo isn't so much about the budget for making the movie but more the fact because Microsoft owns the rights for everything Halo related the Studios can't make anything on it beyond the movie ie through toys, clothing etc.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
My understanding of the issues with Halo isn't so much about the budget for making the movie but more the fact because Microsoft owns the rights for everything Halo related the Studios can't make anything on it beyond the movie ie through toys, clothing etc.

Rather than saying budget issues I probably should've said "finance" issues. Microsoft own the rights true, but that wouldn't stop Studios making money from the film as they'd be the ones financing it and as a result would enter a profit share arrangement that both sides would be happy with.

This is where part of the problem is as apparently Microsoft wanted more than the Studios were willing to give to have the movie produced, including 5 mil up front, which is a large amount just for the initial rights to the movie.

There were rumours that the 145mil budget had ballooned, but Peter Jackson, who at the time was on board as exec producer, said those rumours were false.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
It should be noted that Microsoft reportedly requested a lot of unusual things in regards to handing over the license for the movie (even unusual by Hollywood standards). That may include restricting what the Studio's could earn off the movie due to licensing rights.

If that's the case then it'd be no surprise that the Studios would back out. There's no way they'd finance a 145mil film just to hand all the profits over.

Latest posts