What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Brisbane ANZ Stadium,Thursday 7.30pm

hurricane57

Juniors
Good performance. Brisbane were very enthusiastic and in our faces early on. They showed commitment but in the end costly errors and the class of GI and Sam showed. Not sure about Te'o's chicken wing, he definitely pulled his arm back but from one replay he seemed to let go pretty early not like the Burgess one the previous week where he went on with it. McQueen should get off, it didn't look that bad.
We didn't need AJ this week. GI is just brilliant.
Dead set don't agree with Gus re the use of Keary when Sutton comes back. It would be a dent in his confidence if Souths use him off the bench. He is growing in each match he starts. Sutton should come in for either Lowe or Clark and should be a running wide forward which is what he originally started out as...

Keary MUST be the run on five eighth. Use Sutton as a bench player, Sutton can take Picker's spot.
Interesting, I, thought Barba was the Bronco's five eighth - didn't hear his name mentioned the hole game except when Inglis flattened Hoffman,
Keary was a standout in attack and defence, that's what I can 'playing all over the opposition.

Who cares what Gould says, I missed it cause I have him on 'mute'.:lol::lol:

Greg Inglis untouchable as South Sydney Rabbitohs demolish Brisbane Broncos

League News South Sydney Rabbitohs League Match Report Brisbane Broncos
Date August 15, 2014 - 12:44AM
Brad Walter

Souths 42 Broncos 16
Greg Inglis turned on an awesome display of power and skill to help assert South Sydney's position as premiership favourites with their fourth win in 17 days.
Just six days after Sam Burgess produced a performance against Manly that had many praising him as the best player in the NRL, Inglis scored three tries and laid on another one in the Rabbitohs 42-16 defeat of Brisbane that raised the question of how good Jarryd Hayne must be if players recently voted him better than the Souths superstar.
While Rabbitohs coach Michael Maguire has wanted to keep a lid on the public expectations of his side after falling one win short of the grand final the past two seasons, there is no doubt that this is the best chance for Souths to finally end their 43-year premiership drought if Inglis and Burgess can maintain their current form.The only downside of the Rabbitohs win was the reporting of Queensland
McQueen was placed on report for a crusher tackle on Josh McGuire, while Te'o faces his second suspension within three weeks after being reported for a chicken-wing tackle on Sam Thaiday that was similar to the one which cost George Burgess a two match ban from last Friday's match against Manly.
With a differential of +231, Souths remain on track to claim their first minor premiership since 1989 if they win their remaining three matches against North Queensland, Canterbury and Sydney Roosters and the Sea Eagles lose any of their four games.
After playing the Raiders in Canberra, Newcastle in Cairns, Manly at the SCG and Brisbane at ANZ Stadium over a 17 day period, the Rabbitohs now have an eight day break before hosting the Cowboys next Saturday night.
The loss leaves the Broncos needing to win all three of their matches to have any chance of making the final eight but they got off to the best possible start on Thursday night when Inglis' long time Australian and Queensland centre partner Justin Hodges crossed in the fifth minute.
But from then on it was virtually all one way traffic as the Rabbitohs went on the rampage.
Inglis levelled the scores when he charged over from close range in the 15th minute and then put Souths ahead 10 minutes later by starting and finishing one of the most spectacular tries of the season in the 25th minute.
Racing onto an Adam Reynolds chip kick, Inglis turned on an awesome display of skill and power as he skittled Broncos fullback Josh Hoffman before passing to Sam Burgess and then racing around behind the Englishman to receive an offload and storm over near the goalposts.
So dominant was Inglis that even when Hoffman knocked down a pass from the Rabbitohs superstar, Souths still managed a try after centre Dylan Walker picked up the loose ball and ran at the line before laying it back in a tackle for Chris McQueen to dive over and score in the 31st minute.
With the defence focused on Inglis and Burgess, there was space out wide and Walker took advantage when he raced 60 metres from the kick-off before being rounded up - only for winger Lote Tuqiri to score in the 34rd minute after Daniel Vidot failed to take another Reynolds kick.
The Broncos never stopped trying and Inglis was required to come up with a try-saving tackle on Jack Reed in the second half, before Test forward Sam Thaiday finally got Brisbane's second try in the 50th minute.
However, it was all the visitors could muster and Inglis finished with as many tries as Brisbane after calmly and simply plucking a Reynolds kick from the air and strolling over to score virtually untouched in the 63rd minute.
He did the same thing eight minutes later but this time handed the ball off for rookie five-eighth Luke Keary to score under the posts.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ne-broncos-20140814-104agm.html#ixzz3APiV3600

Rabbits Down Broncos in Thursday Night Football

Words: Tom Skolarikis I Photos: Col Whelan – Nrlphotos.com
Thu 14th August, 09:38PM
A A http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/_jcr_content/par/newslist_95ce.rss

1408016602598.jpg

South Sydney have defeated the Brisbane Broncos tonight by 42-16 to take provisional first on the NRL ladder in Close the Gap Round.
Despite a slow start that saw the Broncos draw first blood, a composed South Sydney went on to score a convincing victory that included a hat-trick for Greg Inglis. The victory places the South Sydney side in equal-first position with the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles on 32 competition points.
The night had extra special feeling for Rabbitohs forwards, Ben Lowe and Ben Te'o, who celebrated their 100th and 150th games respectively - Ben Lowe grabbing a rare conversion at the death to celebrate.
A Rabbitohs mistake on halfway led to the Broncos receiving a string of back-to-back sets on the red and green line. The mistake would prove costly following a penalty, when Justin Hodges took a Ben Hunt grubber into the in-goal to open the scoring for the night adjacent to the sticks. Corey Parker added the conversion to give the Broncos a six point lead.
Six minutes later though, a penalty against the Broncos yielded points for the Rabbitohs. With the red and greens attacking the Brisbane line on the last tackle, Issac Luke opted to run the short-side before linking up with Greg Inglis, who powered his way over the line to score. Adam Reynolds converted from near the touch-line to level the scores up at six apiece.
From the very next set, a Sam Burgess break almost resulted in a second four-pointer to Alex Johnston, who took an offload from the Rabbitohs lock and sprint towards the try-line, only to be brought down in cover by Lachlan Maranta.
With 14 minutes left in the first half, Adam Reynolds took the opportunity to be creative on the last tackle by chipping over the top on the 40 metre line for a flying Greg Inglis. Inglis proceeded to steamroll Josh Hoffman before throwing the ball back inside to Sam Burgess. But Inglis wasn’t done – backing up Sam Burgess to score a brilliant four-pointer. Adam Reynolds converted to make it 12-6.
Souths were far from done in the first half – backing up the incredible effort with a try to Chris McQueen thanks to a knock-down gone awry from Justin Hodges. Reynolds made no mistake from short-range to bring the score to 18-6.
Souths were at it again from the ensuing kick-off with Dylan Walker, who took off down the touch-line, before being brought down 20 metres short. But despite the missed opportunity, Lote Tuqiri would finish the set with a four-pointer before Reynolds again added the extras to all of a sudden make the score 24-6 going into the break.
On the resumption, it was the Broncos who would draw first points through Sam Thaiday, who ducked through from close range to bring the score to 24-12 with Corey Parker’s conversion.
The Rabbitohs muscled up in defence and managed to repel a number of waves of Bronco attack on their own line. Mercifully, Souths managed to march up-field and get a line drop-out courtesy of a Luke Keary grubber kick that was knocked-on in-goal by Maranta.
The mistake paid dividends for the Rabbitohs when Adam Reynolds opted to kick towards the goal-posts and finding a flying Greg Inglis who streaked through to claim his hat-trick. Reynolds kept up his perfect night with the boot to claim his fifth conversion of the night to make it 30-12.
With the clock winding down, Inglis seemed destined to make it four tries for the night after the Test representative took another kick from Reynolds, but unselfishly passed on to five-eighth Luke Keary, who touched down to make it 36-12.
The Broncos grabbed a late consolation try through Jack Reed, but another four-pointer to the Rabbitohs through Kirisome Auva'a and a rare Ben Lowe conversion in his 100th match, added salt to th Broncos wounds - the Rabbitohs coming away with the points and their 14th win of the season – downing the Brisbane side 42-16.

Rabbitohs 42 (Greg Inglis 3, Chris McQueen, Lote Tuqiri, Luke Keary, Kirisome Auva'a tries; Adam Reynolds 6, Ben Lowe 1, goals)
Defeated
Broncos 16 (Justin Hodges, Sam Thaiday, Jack Reed, tries; Corey Parker 2 goals)

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2014/08/14/rabbits_down_broncos_in_thursday_night_football.html

Rabbits20

Immortal
Keary MUST be the run on five eighth. Use Sutton as a bench player, Sutton can take Picker's spot.
Interesting, I, thought Barba was the Bronco's five eighth - didn't hear his name mentioned the hole game except when Inglis flattened Hoffman,
Keary was a standout in attack and defence, that's what I can 'playing all over the opposition.

Who cares what Gould says, I missed it cause I have him on 'mute'.:lol::lol:

Yep Gould is silly Keary must stay five eighth another great game from him last night.

I think John Sutton will play 2nd row he won't be on the bench. I know playing in the forwards will be hard as he might be a bit underdone and probably have to bulk up a bit. I think Madge will use him for 50 mins. Anyway with Te'os suspension that will leave a space for Sutton to fill in.

Te'o only deserves 3 weeks not 4-5 but his ildiscipline has been a major disappointment. I think his mind is drifting towards Rugby now.

As for Auva'a and McQueen getting charged with early pleas 75 points they won't miss any games. But what a joke!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Just watching back the game and in the 44th minute Auva'a tackled Gillett and there was nothing in it the ref didn't even see anything. Yet the judiciary have been very picky and have charged him I know he only gets 75 points with an early plea but any minor incident in future games and he will be suspended.

There was not much in Mcqueen's tackle but Auva'a was only half as bad as Mcqueen's incident.

There is definitely a so called crusher tackle from every other team every few sets of six. I saw Ben Hannant make a tackle with another bronco on Issac and it was a crusher and Issac got up frustrated. It's like the judiciary is just picking on Souths only. We will probably see many of these tackles in games to come this weekend and nothing will be done! Especially to the high profile so called perfect players in the game.....

The refs and judiciary just love spoiling the game.

souths1908

Juniors
I don't like the fact that Bunnies players are being suspended, but it's good to see the NRL taking a stance on all the wrestling garbage that is happening in the game. Hopefully its consistent in the rest of the games this weekend and over the coming rounds.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I don't like the fact that Bunnies players are being suspended, but it's good to see the NRL taking a stance on all the wrestling garbage that is happening in the game. Hopefully its consistent in the rest of the games this weekend and over the coming rounds.

I doubt they will be consistent they very rarely are. Ben and George being suspended is fair enough it's just the nit picky little incidents when there is nothing in it. We will see if they do it to the other 15 teams.

Latest posts