What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vs Brisbane Suncorp Stadium 7.50pm Friday 22nd April

souths_pride

Juniors
Shouldnt have been a penalty.

That was the only bad call.
What about all those holding down penalties that were no different to any other tackle? Also, how about when got penalties for a supposed late shot and the first thing Maxwell says is that "there isn't too much wrong with that." I think we also got a penalised for stripping too for a blatant lost ball. I think at one stage the penalty count was 7-1 and the only reason why he blew a bunch of penalties when we were attacking the Broncos goal line was to even up the count.

southsport

First Grade
Shouldnt have been a penalty.

That was the only bad call.

But Maxwell has reffed Souths twice and hammered us both times, there were other instances where I thought the penalties were 50/50 and he continually went the way of the broncs.

Just on the game it highlighted just how beatable the broncs are if the opposition hold the ball and do not concede penalties.

broncos4life

Juniors
Was Rabbits20 at the game ?

How on earth can he claim metres on the ten metre rule. TV hardley ever show wides shots of the defensive line, cause its always a close up of the ruck

He's making an assumption that his rabble were further back because his lot of fat b grade plodders took longer to move the defensive line up than the Broncos.

southsport

First Grade
He's making an assumption that his rabble were further back because his lot of fat b grade plodders took longer to move the defensive line up than the Broncos.

The Ch9 commentary team said that Maxwell had Souths back well over ten metres from the ruck.

Curns13

Juniors
I was at the game but was not at a good angle to judge the 10 metres, but I can tell you this, we hold down in the play the ball far too much. I found it very obvious and it was across all players. It is obvioysly something that we are coached to do and we need to stop it quickly. We would have to be just about the most penalised team in the comp and our lack of dicipline puts all sorts of pressure on our defensive line and releaves all pressure on the opposition. Our lack of discipline cost us big time last night, that and dropped ball cost us the game, not the refs.

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
no sutton no gburg no musgrove no hunt no turner no johnston just imagine if our 6 players were in would the donkeys had won?i think not if i was old grandpa bennett id be worried the donkeys arnt that good

Pommy

Coach
no sutton no gburg no musgrove no hunt no turner no johnston just imagine if our 6 players were in would the donkeys had won?i think not if i was old grandpa bennett id be worried the donkeys arnt that good

Pommy Bennett is just dreaming of the 4 nations.

southsport

First Grade
I was at the game but was not at a good angle to judge the 10 metres, but I can tell you this, we hold down in the play the ball far too much. I found it very obvious and it was across all players. It is obvioysly something that we are coached to do and we need to stop it quickly. We would have to be just about the most penalised team in the comp and our lack of dicipline puts all sorts of pressure on our defensive line and releaves all pressure on the opposition. Our lack of discipline cost us big time last night, that and dropped ball cost us the game, not the refs.

Agree and that goes back to the coach, first penalty of the game against Tyrell was marginal, as were some others.

Curns13

Juniors
It was awesome to see Cook given a real opportunity and he proved that he should be out no. 1 hooker. His speed at the ruck and quick ball is on another level to McInnes. We took a different approach with the ball in hand and it was great to watch. Less conservative and more metres made on the edges. It created opportunities and made us wasy metres. Carter made a couple of errors but ran hard into gaps created by Cook and our halves. It was such a pleasant change from the last 2 years of running into brick walls that Madge has insisted on.

I hate to blame just one person, but Some just about cost us the game with 3 minutes of brain snaps. Late in the first half he was too slow to break from the scrum leaving a 3 on 2 and an easy path for Nokorima. I was right in front of that scrum and could see exactly was the Broncs had in mind. Some's brain explosion gifted them a try with 5 minutes left. Then next set he gave away a stupid holding down penalty on half way, Sam rushed in on Hunt (he defense was poor last night) and then it was 14-0. If its 2-0 at half time we were in with a real shot.

That Sam penalty was a joke, injuries killed us, but it was our best performance since 20 minutes into the Manly game.

doyen

Bench
Regarding the penalty for Sam's tackle, what was the penalty actually for?

The one where Sam dropped with force on the player on the ground???

According to Ray WARREN there is a rule that a player can be penalised for excessive force in certain situations.That must be one of them--the player looked quite defenceless & it did seem excessive by Sam. It certainly sparked a riotous response by the Broncs!
I suppose,hence,the penalty according to the rule book!

Last edited:

southsport

First Grade
The one where Sam dropped with force on the player on the ground???

According to Ray WARREN there is a rule that a player can be penalised for excessive force in certain situations.That must be one of them--the player looked quite defenceless & it did seem excessive by Sam. It certainly sparked a riotous response by the Broncs!
I suppose,hence,the penalty!!

Players use the utmost force in almost every tackle I thought.

doyen

Bench
Players use the utmost force in almost every tackle I thought.

I think the, "IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS" clause was used by the ref in this one.

Checked the Rule-----a player can't SANDBAG[FLOP] onto a prone player unless he is attempting to play on.

It is expected,in that situation,that a hand be placed on the player's back to effectively complete the tackle.

Under the true letter of the Law Sam infringed by SANDBAGGING!!

Last edited:

souths_pride

Juniors
I was looking at the penalties closely and I don't think we held down the player for any longer than most of the other tackles in the game. I believe Maxwell is just one of those refs who is exceptionally whistle-happy and wants to get himself involved in the game.

souths_pride

Juniors
I think the, "IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS" clause was used by the ref in this one.

Checked the Rule-----a player can't SANDBAG[FLOP] onto a prone player unless he is attempting to play on.

It is expected,in that situation,that a hand be placed on the player's back to effectively complete the tackle.

Under the true letter of the Law Sam infringed by SANDBAGGING!!
Under the true letter of the law, Ofahengaue could have also been penalised for a voluntary tackle as well.

It was 2 nil at the time halfway through first half I think
We defended really well and they were on their 30 m line when good old Dave tyrrell gave away a penalty on the 4th tackle for holding down
He then did it again 2 minutes later and then dropped the ball on 2nd tackle 30 m out
Clarke did similar dropped the ball twice on the first or second tackle in great attacking position
How are these guys first grade standard then add Somi and his stupid brain snaps holding down penalty on 5th tackle then not breaking from scrum,that's also not first grade standard yet week after week these guys retain their spots and it's blatantly obvious these actions cause us to then lose games
Apart from these issues I was very proud of them all