What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Brisbane Suncorp Stadium Thursday 8.00pm (Syd Time)

Last Time Against the Broncos

Words: Tom Skolarikis I Video: Nrl.com
Mon 2nd March, 08:30AM
A A

South Sydney defeated the Brisbane Broncos by 42-16 in round 23 of the 2014 season - the last time the two teams met.
Despite a slow start that saw the Broncos draw first blood, a composed South Sydney went on to score a convincing victory that included a hat-trick for Greg Inglis.
The night had extra special feeling for Rabbitohs forwards, Ben Lowe and Ben Te'o, who celebrated their 100th and 150th games respectively - Ben Lowe grabbing a rare conversion at the death to celebrate.
A Rabbitohs mistake on halfway led to the Broncos receiving a string of back-to-back sets on the red and green line. The mistake would prove costly following a penalty, when Justin Hodges took a Ben Hunt grubber into the in-goal to open the scoring for the night adjacent to the sticks. Corey Parker added the conversion to give the Broncos a six point lead.
Six minutes later though, a penalty against the Broncos yielded points for the Rabbitohs. With the red and greens attacking the Brisbane line on the last tackle, Issac Luke opted to run the short-side before linking up with Greg Inglis, who powered his way over the line to score. Adam Reynolds converted from near the touch-line to level the scores up at six apiece.
From the very next set, a Sam Burgess break almost resulted in a second four-pointer to Alex Johnston, who took an offload from the Rabbitohs lock and sprint towards the try-line, only to be brought down in cover by Lachlan Maranta.
With 14 minutes left in the first half, Adam Reynolds took the opportunity to be creative on the last tackle by chipping over the top on the 40 metre line for a flying Greg Inglis. Inglis proceeded to steamroll Josh Hoffman before throwing the ball back inside to Sam Burgess. But Inglis wasn’t done – backing up Sam Burgess to score a brilliant four-pointer. Adam Reynolds converted to make it 12-6.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2015/03/01/last_time_against_th_0.html

Lowe Keen for Season Start

Words & Video: Tom Skolarikis & Chris Beavon
Sat 28th February, 08:22AM
A A
Rabbitohs forward, Ben Lowe, says that there’s a good feeling at Redfern as his side prepares to open their season this Thursday against the Brisbane Broncos in Brisbane.
The Rabbitohs come into the 2015 Telstra Premiership season having won the Auckland Nines tournament, the Charity Shield and the World Club Championship.
“There is a good feeling around the Club at the minute,” said Lowe.
“All teams at this stage are pretty keen to get the season underway and play some footy and it’s no different for us.
“We’re looking forward to next Thursday night – we’ve got a job on our hands. We saw a little it of them (Brisbane) when they were playing in the World Club Series and no doubt it’s going to be a solid game of footy and we’re looking forward to putting together a good 80 minute performance.”
The Broncos rounded out their first pre-season under Wayne Bennett since his return to the club with a tight World Club Series win over English Super League runners-up, Wigan, in a golden-point thriller in the UK.
For Lowe and his teammates, the Broncos pose a tough challenge with Bennett at the helm.
“They’ve got a few different structures set up there,” said Lowe.
“Wayne brings a wealth of experience of coaching knowledge to the ‘Broncs’ now. They’ll be a very well-prepared football team and we’ve got to make sure that we’ve got our heads switched on come Thursday night.”

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2015/02/28/lowe_keen_for_season.html

Rabbits20

Immortal
Brisbane have even more incentive to try and get the win as it's Corey Parker's 300th game.

http://www.smh.com.au/ultimateleague
South Sydney Rabbitohs players praise leaner Glenn Stewart

Date March 2, 2015 - 6:42PM
Brad Walter

Sports Reporter

Good buy: Glenn Stewart at training on Monday. Photo: Renee McKay

Glenn Stewart's new South Sydney teammates believe the addition of the slimmed down former Test back-rower has helped push the premiers to new heights during the pre-season.
The Rabbitohs open their title defence against Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday night but have enjoyed the best possible start to their title defence by winning the NRL Nines, retaining the Charity Shield and racking up a record 39-0 scoreline against St Helens in the World Club Challenge, and players say that success is due to the intensity at training over the summer months.
While some teams find it hard to lift after winning a premiership, Souths coach Michael Maguire has ensured there will be no grand final hangover at the famous club and the enthusiasm of Stewart, after missing most of his last season with Manly because of injury, has also inspired his teammates.
"He has been unreal for the club and he has added something a bit different," halfback Adam Reynolds said. "He definitely goes around his footy the right way. He has lost a few kilos during the pre-season and he is really enjoying his footy here."
Reynolds appears set to be one of the main beneficiaries of Stewart's recruitment, with the pair combining to set up a spectacular try for centre Dylan Walker in the World Club Challenge.
With Stewart to play on the right edge and fellow ball-playing back-rower John Sutton lining up alongside five-eighth Luke Keary on the left edge, Reynolds is looking forward to developing his combination with the 31-year-old.
"That was our first time we had played together," Reynolds said. "It was enjoyable to be out there with him. He has got an experienced head on his shoulders and is very talented with the ball, as well as tough in defence, so he is definitely a great bloke to play alongside."
Interchange forward Jason Clarke was also full of praise for Stewart and fellow recruit Tim Grant, who travelled to England as part of a 20-man squad but missed selection for the World Club Challenge.
"Having Glenn there and Timmy have lifted the side, I reckon," Clarke said. "They have brought a bit of a spark to the team and it is exciting to have them in the team."
Maguire is due to announce his team to play the Broncos on Tuesday and is not expected to make any changes, with second-rower Kyle Turner still recovering from a neck injury sustained in the All Stars match and rookie prop Chris Grevsmuhl ruled out with a broken thumb.
Despite starting the season as premiership favourites, players were careful not to talk up their chances at training on Monday.
"It's not too different to any other year," Clarke said. "It's all behind us now and we've had our big pre-season and it's all about round one now. That's our main focus."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ise-leaner-glenn-stewart-20150302-13t0c3.html

rabbitohs95

Bench
Shame to hear Grevsmuhl is out with a broken thumb. Looks like Grant will get a spot on the bench.

Reynolds Expecting Loud Season Opener

Words: Tom Skolarikis I Video: Chris Beavon
Tue 3rd March, 10:36AM
A A

Rabbitohs halfback, Adam Reynolds, is expecting a big crowd in Brisbane this Thursday as his side open their season against the Broncos.
A crowd of 44,122 people turned out to watch the two sides go head to head in Brisbane in 2014 – the men in red and green coming away with a thrilling 28-26 victory.
“There’s always a good turn-out up there,” said Reynolds.
“It’s always good to start the season on a Thursday night and get your game out of the way nice and early.”
The Broncos will be playing their first NRL clash under returning coach, Wayne Bennett.
Reynolds will line up for his 80th NRL clash if selected by Michael Maguire for the clash after helping his side to a record 39-0 World Club Challenge victory over ESL Champions St Helens in the UK.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2015/03/03/reynolds_expecting_l.html

Red hot Reynolds still out to improve

Tue 03 Mar, 2015, 11:00am
By Jack Brady, National Correspondent, NRL.com

Rabbitohs halfback Adam Reynolds has brushed talk of his personal and team success in the pre-season ahead of a big clash with the Broncos to start the 2015 NRL season. Credit: Grant Trouville. Copyright: NRL Photos.

Even an avalanche of pre-season success in the shape of three trophies won't see the Rabbitohs taking anything for granted, with star halfback Adam Reynolds declaring he still needs to work on his game.
He was man of the tournament in the club's undefeated Auckland Nines campaign, to go with Charity Shield and World Club Challenge wins, which sit alongside last season's premiership in a rapidly expanding trophy cabinet.
But Reynolds has his eyes squarely on a meeting with the Broncos this Thursday night, and this week's opposite number – and one of 2014's breakout stars – Ben Hunt.
"Ben Hunt is a classy player and I thought he had an excellent series for Australia [at the Four Nations] and definitely impressed a lot of people. He's a great player and I'll certainly have to be on the lookout for him because no doubt he'll be on his game," Reynolds told NRL.com.
Reynolds said he was still looking to improve despite his starring performances of late.
"I need to continually work on everything, mate," he said.
"It is a very skilful game so I need to keep working on the one-percenters and turning up every day with my head in good shape willing to strive to get better."
After re-signing with South Sydney for a further three seasons alongside halves partner Luke Keary (who extended for another two), Reynolds' recent brilliant showings is perhaps a product of having his future settled.
While everyone else concentrates on where Manly duo Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran will play past this year, Reynolds can be content in knowing he'll be feeding off the Rabbitohs' success for a long time to come.
"There is a great bunch of blokes here at Souths and a great culture which I love. I'm happy here at the moment and I couldn't ask to be running around with a bunch of better blokes," he said.
"There were a few niggles between me and [Keary] urging one another to stay on. I love playing alongside Luke, he's a great competitor and he has a good head on his shoulders.
"I have a young family that has grown up in the area – my eldest girl just started school around here – so it was pretty easy to make a decision to stay because it's a great place to be around."

http://www.nrl.com/red-hot-reynolds-still-out-to-improve/tabid/10874/newsid/84161/default.aspx

Match Day Information: Rd 1, 2015

Tue 3rd March, 12:01PM A A

ROUND 1 BRONCOS V RABBITOHS
THURSDAY 5 MARCH, 2015
suncorp stadium

4:30pm Gates open
4:35pm NYC kick off
7:05pm NRL kick off
The South Sydney Rabbitohs head north this week to open the 2015 NRL Telstra Premiership against the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium.
The Rabbitohs will look to secure their first win of the season following their 2014 Premiership win before hosting the Roosters at ANZ Stadium on Sunday 15 March.
How to Purchase Tickets
Online: Click here
Phone: 132 849
In Person: Click here

2015 Rabbitohs Members Invited to Meet the Team
The 2015 Rabbitohs squad will be on hand for a Member meet and greet the following morning of our Round 1 blockbuster, Friday 6 March from 8.00am-9.00am at the Sofitel, Brisbane Central.

This is strictly a Members only event, so please ensure you bring along your 2015 Member card to gain entry. If you have non Members with you they will not be able to access the event.

*Please ensure you arrive early to avoid disappointment as the players will need to leave at 9.00am sharp

Official Rabbitohs Merchandise
Get your official team gear at this Thursday night’s game from the Official Rabbitohs Merchandise van which will be located at the Caxton Street end of the Northern precinct.
Plus, show your 2015 Rabbitohs Membership card to receive 10% off!

Travel Free to the Match
Present your game day ticket to receive free public transport to and from the stadium aboard Queensland Rail City Network trains or Brisbane Transport buses. This free public transport is available four hours prior to kick-off and four hours after the full-time siren of the main game.

Parking
On game days, parking restrictions apply in the local area surrounding the Stadium. Fifteen minute parking limits apply in most restricted areas unless otherwise signed. On-the-spot fines will be issued to offending motorists. Illegally parked vehicles will be towed at the owner’s expense.
On event days, a car parking zone at Castlemaine and Cordova Streets is available for the holders of Queensland Blue Disability Parking Permits and Australian Disability Parking Permits. There are limited spaces available so BOOKINGS ARE ESSENTIAL.
Staff are positioned in Cordova, Castlemaine and Chippendall Streets to then assist patrons with a disability to gain access to the Stadium.
Please call the Stadium on 07 3331 5000 during business hours to book a space or for further information.

Brisbane Transport Bus Services
Patrons can catch regular timetabled services. In addition, special bus services from the City, Carindale, Eight Mile Plains/Mt Gravatt (Garden City), Chermside and The Gap run direct to the Stadium at regular intervals from two hours before kick-off. At the end of the game, for a one hour period, high frequency bus services will operate.
Please be aware of changes to parking arrangements at Westfield Chermside and Carindale. Customers can park for free for the first three hours, however after that period expires, customers are charged incrementally. Click here to view the parking rates at Chermside or click here for Carindale
For more information about public transport options to the Stadium on event days, visit the Translink website www.translink.com.au or call 131230.
An alternative to bus transport is rail.

Queensland Rail City Network Services
Milton and Roma Street are the closest stations for patrons travelling to and from the Stadium. Regular timetabled services and any additional services run to and from both stations.
Please visit www.translink.com.au or call 13 12 30 for full game day bus and train timetables and details of any track works or service disruptions.

Restricted Parking
On game days, parking restrictions apply in the local area surrounding the Stadium. Fifteen minute parking limits apply in most restricted areas unless otherwise signed. On-the-spot fines will be issued to offending motorists. Illegally parked vehicles will be towed at the owner’s expense.
Click here for further game day information.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2015/03/03/match_day_informatio.html

rabbitohs95

Bench
Official team;

1. Inglis
2. Johnston
3. Walker
4. Goodwin
5. Reddy
6. Keary
7. Reynolds
8. G Burgess
9. Luke
10. Tyrrell
11. Stewart
12. Sutton
13. Lowe

14. Grevsmuhl
15. Clark
16. McQueen
17. T Burgess

18. Grant
19. McInnes
20. Millard

As expected, hopefully too strong for the Broncs. Good to see Grevsmuhl pushing in front of Grant and Millard pushing his claim.

alien

Referee
ahhh so it looks like Grevsmuhl might be ok to play after all :)
if not, grant will go well

rabbitohs95

Bench
ahhh so it looks like Grevsmuhl might be ok to play after all :)
if not, grant will go well

Still 50/50 I heard.

Good to see we have a core 17th man of Grant/Grevsmuhl/Turner so far.

Hoping Lowe can rediscover his 2010 form. Just needs to get the silly penalties and errors out.

Big Sam

First Grade
So this means Millard is contracted? Surely you can't still be 'on trial' in Round 1?

doyen

Bench
So this means Millard is contracted? Surely you can't still be 'on trial' in Round 1?

His name is in the squad for Rd 1 albiet about 20th man.

But he is the only back in that "bench", so I take it ,that if any of our backs are unavailable come Thurs;he will play!

He is definitely presented with a profile on the Sths Official w/site[photo & all]so I assume he's been officially signed.
I think he will be extremely handy throughout the season with his great experience--I think he will get better & better as he re-acclimatises to the NRL.
He has 157 top grade appearances in the NRL & ESL & apparently played some very impressive games at his best.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
His name is in the squad for Rd 1 albiet about 20th man.

But he is the only back in that squad, so I take it ,that if any of our backs are unavailable come Thurs;he will play!

He is definitely presented with a profile on the Sths Official w/site[photo & all]so I assume he's been officially signed.
I think he will be extremely handy throughout the season with his great experience--I think he will get better & better as he re-acclimatises to the NRL.
He has 157 top grade appearances in the NRL & ESL & apparently played some very impressive games at his best.

A solid signing and will do a good job when required.

Millard doesn't seem to have a real quality in his game that can change a game out wide though. Imo he is similar to Goodwin.

In the trials he was pretty quiet. At least he got rid of the cobwebs though.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I think Ben Lowe will play around 15-20 minutes to start and then Clark will come on. Madge will just want Lowe to start solid and do nothing stupid as he sometimes does.

I actually reckon Clark will get more game time than Lowe just like Tom will get more game time than Tyrrell.

Madge sure uses the bench well and just because you start it doesn't mean you'll get more game time than the interchange guys.

doyen

Bench
A solid signing and will do a good job when required.

Millard doesn't seem to have a real quality in his game that can change a game out wide though. Imo he is similar to Goodwin.

In the trials he was pretty quiet. At least he got rid of the cobwebs though.

Yeah--I reckon he'll get better as the season progresses---I hope Kirisome is back sooner than later--I reckon he was in for a huge 2015!!Nice & fresh for the back end of the season,maybe!

Latest posts