What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Brisbane Suncorp Stadium Thursday 8.00pm (Syd Time)

hurricane57

Juniors
Come on Johnston let's show Wayne Bennett the forgetful man once more that we aren't predictable.

As a team Souths this year will play even more different as we all know. We saw good glimpses at the back end of last year but will obviously build on that.

I'm fired up! Let's give it to the Broncos tomorrow night!

The Broncos will have lots of unpredictable plays coming at them tomorrow night. If they aren't prepared Bennett could be in for a surprise.

Souths will splifflicate that Bronco rabble tonight. ::p:p:p:p:p

Big Sam

First Grade
Picked up where we left off. Error count was high but I'll blame it on the humidity making things moist.

That's the fifth straight competitive game in which we've scored more than 30 points:
40 v Manly
32 v Scum
30 v Canterbury
39 v St Helens
36 v Brisbane

Impressive as that may be, I'm pretty sure we've done this before under Maguire.

southsport

First Grade
Picked up where we left off. Error count was high but I'll blame it on the humidity making things moist.

That's the fifth straight competitive game in which we've scored more than 30 points:
40 v Manly
32 v Scum
30 v Canterbury
39 v St Helens
36 v Brisbane

Impressive as that may be, I'm pretty sure we've done this before under Maguire.

It should be a more realistic test next week.

Rabbits20

Immortal
That's the way to start a season!

Obviously we were not polished but were very solid.

Everyone played well except Jason Clark who dropped the ball 4 times tonight.

I was impressed with Grevsmuhl off the bench. Even though he made 2 errors he made 13 hit ups for 90m off the bench. Very good work rate.

Issac at his usual best and Goodwin had a good game tonight.

I was impressed with the little things Stewart did. He isn't at his best as we can all see but played reasonably well.

A shame McQueen only played 26mins. I'd like to see him play around 35mins.

Reynolds and Keary were calm and what a combo they have formed and will keep getting better each week.

southsport

First Grade
Obviously we were not polished but were very solid.

Everyone played well except Jason Clark who dropped the ball 4 times tonight.

I was impressed with Grevsmuhl off the bench. Even though he made 2 errors he made 13 hit ups for 90m off the bench. Very good work rate.

Issac at his usual best and Goodwin had a good game tonight.

I was impressed with the little things Stewart did. He isn't at his best as we can all see but played reasonably well.

A shame McQueen only played 26mins. I'd like to see him play around 35mins.

Reynolds and Keary were calm and what a combo they have formed and will keep getting better each week.

I would have liked to see Keary catch that pass from AJ.

Sydney crush Wayne Bennett's Brisbane Broncos in ominous opening to NRL season
Date March 6, 2015 - 7:16AM

South Sydney 36 Brisbane 6

Wayne Bennett's new era of prosperity for the Brisbane Broncos must wait another week. South Sydney, the defending premiers, burst the bubble without mercy on opening night to show there remains a tangible gulf between the game's best and the ambitious rest.
The 36-6 victory at Suncorp Stadium was completed in stifling heat, with the mercury still lapping 30 degrees at kick-off. Yet it would be the Queenslanders that would fade in the furnace. Bennett wanted signs of progress upon his return; he was greeted with errors, poor handling and a lack of generalship from his playmakers behind a beaten pack.
The Rabbitohs featured some new faces but played to the same template that saw them claim their first title in 43 years. No Sam Burgess presented no discernable problem against the smaller Brisbane pack, while Glenn Stewart had a mostly bright start as he found his feet in the cardinal and myrtle.
Issac Luke ran riot under the newly quickened ruck rules, which saw both sides incur early penalties for failing to release. Greg Inglis was predictably sublime and Luke Keary's star only continues to rise, even if he fumbled a certain runaway try in the second half. Little wonder Queensland and NSW want so desperately to count him among their own.
The truth for Brisbane is that Bennett was never promising miracles, although a few fans may now suggest he has to conjure one if the Broncos are to resemble contenders this season. The biggest watch was on new five-eighth Anthony Milford, who was thoroughly outplayed by his opposite number but remains a rare talent.
Souths led 10-2 at the half but unleashed in the second, silencing the bulk of the 36,057-strong crowd as they poured on four second-half tries to blast the Broncos out of the water. Brisbane's 300-game man Corey Parker deserved better but his resistance was in vain.
In the greatest tradition of Billy Idol at the 2002 grand final, rugby league in 2015 began with a power outage that cancelled the pre-match entertainment. In a dire omen for Eurovision aspirant Guy Sebastian, his desolate set was wheeled off down a dark tunnel with nary a chord struck in anger.
And thus, with the promise of a soul-infused pop prelude now up in smoke, officials decided to kill some time by starting a game of football. With that, the season burst into life, or at least ground its way forward as the sides traded early penalties to be locked at 2-2 after 15 minutes.
The referees, in a bid to earn more respect, ditched the pink shirts and opted for lime green instead. But they made good on their intention to sharpen the speed of the ruck, catching both sides with early penalties to back up the talk with action.
Rabbitohs centre Dylan Walker would be the first man over the line for the year, skipping away from a handful of defenders on the right fringe to give his side an 8-2 lead after half an hour of draining play.
A high shot from Sam Thaiday on Luke gave new Broncos captain Justin Hodges reason to talk things over with officials, while Reynolds found a home for his long-range penalty to give South Sydney a 10-2 margin at the half.
It was quickly stretched. Jordan Kahu dropped a sitter of a bomb and John Sutton scored under the posts just three minutes into the second half. And with Brisbane deteriorating quickly in the midfield, Souths would pounce again, sending it wide to Inglis, who made it 22-2 after 50 minutes.
Matt Gillett bustled over for the Broncos, but Souths were lining up by that stage. Keary and Joel Reddy both saluted to ensure Souths were firing on all cylinders at the start of their title defence.
James Gavet finished the night on report for a high shot on Luke, adding to a horror night with his hands. Souths lock Ben Lowe was also placed on report for a crusher tackle on Thaiday.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...us-opening-to-nrl-season-20150305-13wgmz.html

INGLIS: WE CAN GET BETTER

Written by JOEL GOULD, March 6, 2015
IN a stunning warning to the rest of the competition, Rabbitohs captain Greg Inglis insists his side can get much better despite humbling Brisbane 36-6 at Suncorp Stadium in the NRL season opener.

The ruthless side of the modern day South Sydney was in evidence as they put the Broncos to the sword.
When asked for his assessment of the performance, Inglis hinted at why this Rabbitohs side can give back-to-back titles a shake.
“I can still see major improvements in areas of our game,” he said.

Coach Michael Maguire spoke about “the want inside this team” to go to another level.
“It is about what we do next, and that is what (the players) have really instilled inside themselves,” Maguire said.
“We said before the game that the bar is going to rise throughout this season.
“To stay focussed for 80 minutes is something that we have always worked towards, and we need to grow with that.”
Halfback Adam Reynolds landed eight from eight and his composure and assuredness throughout the clash was at the highest level.
Now the supreme organiser, with a sense for the right moment to press the go button , Reynolds exudes confidence and his influence on the result of any game Souths play increases by the day.
“Adam is definitely growing as a senior player in our team,” Maguire said.

“He has played plenty of footy now and understands the game, and he has got a great partner in crime in Luke Keary on the other side of the park.
“I thought Glenn Stewart chimed in extremely well for us with Sutto (John Sutton) in the back-row and we have that difference about us, whether it is through the middle or on the edge.
“People have spoken about people leaving our team but the way George (Burgess), Tom (Burgess), Dave Tyrrell, Luke and Adam executed their plays, particularly in the second half under the (hot) conditions, was really good.”

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/rabbitohs-presser/

Yes the Rabbitohs have improved from last season, but at the same time you won't get many easier games away from home like you did last night.

hurricane57

Juniors
Where have you been hurri? It's about time you got back here.

G'day, Southy old chappy.

I have a rule that I don't post in the silly season because its the silly season. I been watching you hold the fort thro and 'well done old fellow'

And, may I add,:p:p:p I'm 58 today

South Sydney's bold pre-season pact: Try to win every game in 2015

Date March 6, 2015 - 8:18PM
Sports Reporter

A pre-season pact to try to win every game this year is behind South Sydney's stunning start to their premiership defence.
Having followed up their 39-0 humbling of St Helens in the World Club Challenge final with an equally impressive 36-6 rout of Brisbane in the NRL season opener on Thursday night, the Rabbitohs have shortened as favourites to become the first team since the 1992-93 Broncos to win back-to-back premierships.
Souths coach Michael Maguire knows that grand finals aren't won in March and has reminded his players that after beating 2013 premiers Sydney Roosters first up last year, they lost their next three matches to Manly, Wests Tigers and Canberra.But after ending the club's 43-year premiership drought last season, Maguire has also ensured they are hungry for more success and it was widely noted that the Rabbitohs looked fresher, fitter and faster than their opponents on Thursday night.

Key players such as halfback Adam Reynolds also appear to have grown in confidence. His running game was one of the features of a man-of-the-match performance that already has some tipping him and five-eighth Luke Keary to be the NSW halves pairing this season.
While some had questioned the effect of an off-season altitude camp in Arizona, a trip to Auckland for the Nines, playing the World Club Challenge in England and then travelling to Brisbane for the start of the season, the time together has also brought a group of players already bonded by their grand final achievement even closer.
Desire
To repeat the feat, the Rabbitohs will need to retain their motivation for another seven months. Test centre Dylan Walker revealed how the players were pushing each other to continue working hard at training and in their preparation for games. "The success that we had last year, it comes down from Madge and the boys .... they didn't want to stop winning," Walker told reporters in Brisbane. "We all got into a room together and said, 'Let's try and win everything', and that's what we've been trying to do. It's always nice to get the win in round one but what we learnt from last year was we come out firing in round one and then lost three in a row, so we've got to knuckle down and rip in at training."
New structure
The addition of Glenn Stewart on the right edge has added another dimension to Souths attack and the Rabbitohs now appear to have strike across the field, with former captain John Sutton also playing the role of a ball-playing back-rower on the left edge. However, Souths still have size and strength through the middle. According to statistics from the match, props Thomas Burgess (149 metres), George Burgess (129m), Dave Tyrrell (127m) and Chris Grevsmuhl (114m) all ran with the ball for more than 100 metres, while hooker Issac Luke ran 121 metres. The influence Luke had on the game was also demonstrated by the fact he received the ball twice as much as rival dummy half Andrew McCulloch (123 to 64), although the Broncos hooker was interchanged for 17 minutes of the match. Souths captain Greg Inglis, who scored a try and had a hand in another, ran the most metres (155m) of any player in the match, while winger Alex Johnson (110m) also ran more than 100 metres with the ball.
Confidence
By his own admission, helping Souths to a premiership has boosted Reynolds' confidence. This has been evident by his decision to attempt a long-range field goal in the last minute against St Helens, which handed the Rabbitohs a record WCC win, and opt to kick for goal from 52 metres against the Broncos. "You could see it in the Nines, he was like Phil Blake in the Sevens back in 1987," said Souths great Craig Coleman, who coached Reynolds before he came into first grade three years ago. "Both Adam and Luke Keary are playing with a lot of confidence, as is the team as a whole. They have taken their game to another level but that is through hard work. I know how hard they work and how hard the coaching staff work with them. They are just a very, very good football team. From some of their set plays they have got five or six players coming at you, and they have got the skills of both back-rowers, who use the ball, and both halves. They all know their job and they all do it well. There is just so much confidence when teams are attacking their line because they have got the right spacings and the right line speed. They are very professional."
Ruck speed
Despite concerns that the change to the interpretation of the "play the ball" rule would turn the game into a stop-start affair due to a high penalty count, both Maguire and Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett said they hadn't noticed any great difference to last season. In total, there were 21 penalties, of which only nine were considered discretionary. The other 12 included five high tackles, two lifting tackles, two players being tackled in the air, the Broncos twice kicking out on the full, a crusher tackle and a shoulder charge. The latter two offences resulted in Brisbane prop James Gavet and Souths interchange forward Ben Lowe being charged by the match review committee. Gavet faces a three to four match ban for a grade two shoulder offence, while Lowe can escape suspension if he pleads guilty to a grade one dangerous contact charge. The match was watched by 1,078,000 viewers on the Nine Network in NSW and Queensland, including 418,000 in Sydney.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...o-win-every-game-in-2015-20150306-13x1zm.html

Rabbits20

Immortal
I would have liked to see Keary catch that pass from AJ.

So would I. Do you remember last year at Shark Park when Auva'a juggled the ball 3 times and held onto it to score? It was in origin period and we won 18-0.

Would have also been good last night if Johnston backed his pace. He could have actually scored himself. I guess he saw Keary in more space and was thinking play for the team instead.
It was only tackle zero from the 20m restart as well so even if Johnston got tackled we would have had the whole set to score.

Keary would have caught that pass about 9 out of 10 times though normally.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Yes the Rabbitohs have improved from last season, but at the same time you won't get many easier games away from home like you did last night.

True but Souths still have lots of room for improvement. Souths were not at their best last night. Good signs in Round 1 though.

Latest posts