What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vs Raiders

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
:lol: I also enjoyed the part where Telfer asked if he could answer the question and he replied with I could but I won't :lol: Great radio, I hope the guy rings up again next week

In a way I can understand his bias though, I imagine everyone he sees asks him about the Warriors etc and he'd love a couple of good years to chat about

ozbash

Referee
New Zealand Warriors coach Matthew Elliott praised his defence despite their last-gasp defeat to the Canberra Raiders at Canberra Stadium on Saturday evening.

:lol:

vvvrulz

Coach
To be fair I thought we defended well, that entire second half was pretty much backs to the wall. Its too bad some idiots kept gifting the ball right back to them after making a mountain of tackles on our goal line.

tangalife

Juniors
Alan Mac only went off his nut because that douchebag caller "Bill" calls up every week to just bag Mannering. He called in last week and was carrying on about how Mannering is the worst player around because he doesn't do much or make many meters. So he called up again this week to try bag Mannering, Alan Mac rightfully said "he played 80 minutes, made 40 tackles" and told him to piss off. It's good to see someone sticking it to some of these callers some of them say some real dumb stuff.

Iafeta

Referee
It took Matulino 3 seasons before he came good and consistent so lets give our latest recruits out of NYC a chance hey? (Johnson, Lousi's, Ika, Henry etc).

There has been nothing discouraging about Locke or Packer for that matter. There is no problem with our U-20 graduation.

There is a huge problem with our U20 graduation. Why is it that at other clubs there are a good crop of players who within a year are playing great football. How long did it take Kieran Foran, Daly Cherry-Evans, Tim Mannah, Josh Dugan, Trent Merrin, James Tamou, Andrew McCullough, Andrew Fifita, Aaron Woods, Matt Duffie, Gareth Widdop, Jesse Bromwich, Matt Gillett (this list could go on for a fair while) to adapt and become good NRL players? And we are accepting 3 years is ok?

tangalife

Juniors
Yes you picked out all the stand outs, could you re-do that list with failed/not so great U-20 graduates from each club also?

I would also like to point out that not all of them took just their first season to stand out (Duffie, Fifita, McCullogh, Bromwich, Tamou werent stand outs in their first season) AND if you are going to talk about how good players are in the first season can you please remind how damn good Locke and Johnson were in the first year? How is Laumape going? Even Hurrell initially. That im afraid is GOOD graduation - that they can make an INSTANT impact in the debut season of first grade. It's a totally different problem if they can't maintain that form in the seasons after, not because our u-20/first grade graduation is shit.

A poor graduation would be taking a few years to develop after getting to senior grade and the only person who I can think who is like that was Ben Matulino. So go ahead and say our best player suffered from poor U-20 graduation :D

What players have really been put in the first grade and failed? Omar Slaimankhel is the only one I can think of. Maybe Glen Fisiahi to a point.

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee
Yes you picked out all the stand outs, could you re-do that list with failed/not so great U-20 graduates from each club also?

I would also like to point out that not all of them took just their first season to stand out (Duffie, Fifita, McCullogh, Bromwich, Tamou werent stand outs in their first season) AND if you are going to talk about how good players are in the first season can you please remind how damn good Locke and Johnson were in the first year? How is Laumape going? Even Hurrell initially. That im afraid is GOOD graduation - that they can make an INSTANT impact in the debut season of first grade. It's a totally different problem if they can't maintain that form in the seasons after, not because our u-20/first grade graduation is shit.

A poor graduation would be taking a few years to develop after getting to senior grade and the only person who I can think who is like that was Ben Matulino. So go ahead and say our best player suffered from poor U-20 graduation :D

What players have really been put in the first grade and failed? Omar Slaimankhel is the only one I can think of. Maybe Glen Fisiahi to a point.

I think you're missing my point . Those players I named have consistently sustained good performances over a good period of time. The Warriors graduates have not. Hurrell and Matulino are consistently the best Warriors NYC talents.

Perhaps a fairer question tanga isn't who has failed, but who has failed to live up the potential they displayed in NYC: Johnson, Ikahihifo (though I feel he just needs more time in reserve grade), Packer, Locke, crikey even Tupou's try scoring conversion rate was very good, Mara... the real question is how many other clubs would have either liked to have had these players coming through NYC, or have picked up these players as they exited NYC. They were all standouts in that grade, and have not kicked on. Two parts to it for me, one fast-tracked too quickly and not enough exposure to reserve grade (hopefully the change in policy assists Taukieaho, Palavi, Tuimavave, even Seijka, Havili), second I still think our club has a soft under belly with a lack of brutal accountability. The third issue is we're so amazingly inexperienced. Recruitment and some of the recent strategic moves off field have been baffling and can't be helping.

Yes, Laumape's going well. Which is good. I did not expect that as he didn't really stand out in NYC.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
I like Alen Mac's passion and loyalty however he sometimes needs to stop being a cheerleader and a grumpy old man!

Don't disagree with you, however I've heard the guy he lost his rag at ring up before. He's an annoying dribbler of Mark Watson proportions, so I don't blame Mac for losing it.

Diesel

Referee
A lot of the Warriors issues is they have used the U20's as a stepping stone to the NRL and not the Vulcans.

While our under 20's were literary steam rolling their smaller opposition, Warriors management decided to pit them straight to FG, without hardening them up in NSW Cup.

Elliott appears to be using the Vulcans as a strength rather than being an after thought competition that wasn't as flash and exciting as U20

Latest posts