What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Canard

Immortal
Maybe slightly, but not really.

Pre-Covid, Christchurch didn't host Rugby Championship games in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017, 2018 and 2019.

The ABs only get three home games. Then they have to split up games between Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Napier, Dunedin, Hamilton, Nelson and New Plymouth. Auckland will always get at least one game, it looks like Wellington gets preferential treatment, too. So Christchurch has to share the scraps with five other cities.

But isn't that because the stadium was wrecked by the big quake? And they moved to a much smaller capacity stadium in the meantime (ironically known as Rugby League Park)?

I don't think you're giving the full context.

mongoose

Coach
Hahaha shadow puppetry... yep keeping that dream alive, like i said before what is perth going to offer better than the other areas, who have already started to put bids together... if you think its just money and crowds, the ARLC won't back it, ypu have to remember they aren't expanding just for the 9th game, coz if that was the case easts tigers or jets in SEQ or the bears wherever will fill that void straight away, they want probable 1st grade players, not a team thats over 4 hours way, thats just going to strip more players away from the current talent pool already floating around the current NRL clubs, they alreadu have Melbourne storm and Sydney roosters doing that and even though redcliffe have signed up 20+ players from the current talent pool, they have a whole region of competitive juniors ready to replace that aging roster in a few years, perth don't have that
I Imagine if Perth entered into the NRL they would probably get a QLD feeder team or even 2 - similar to the Storm. This idea that they won't be able to source any players is nonsense. Only problem they might face is whether players from the east coast would want to relocate to the west coast.

Colk

First Grade
I Imagine if Perth entered into the NRL they would probably get a QLD feeder team or even 2 - similar to the Storm. This idea that they won't be able to source any players is nonsense. Only problem they might face is whether players from the east coast would want to relocate to the west coast.

Doesn’t really matter per se in terms of sourcing players because the 18th team will be getting players from the 17 other clubs

MugaB

Coach
Of course they can source players, perth is a wonderful city, any player thinking of living there would love it, thats not what im talking about, problem is right now the quality of talent currently at local comps there won't and hasn't been able to beat even sg ball sides, so if youre the NRL, are you choosing perth coz its a city of an untapped market, or just for money and/or crowds, or are you looking to expand the talent pool so that all other 17 clubs can prosper aswell as the expansion club you are creating... Perth won't be giving back, it will be another Melbourne storm set up, which is ok if we didn't have a storm to begin with, but we do and Melbourne has 5 million people... so its a nessesary evil to let Melbourne storm take as much as they want from around the clubs, and elsewhere without giving back juniors, (its AFL dominated), but the competition needs to expand to areas that expand the player pool, thats why NZ2 and PNG are considered as possible locations, most people here on these forums only look at the costs and crowds, ebitda etc, none of that matters, the broadcasters are paying for quality content, you have to expand to areas that will produce 1st graders, not shrink the player pool. The broadcasters aren't going to pay for 3 more expansion teams if they are getting 50 points put on them every week, and crowds won't turn up to see their local team get smashed every fortnight

Wb1234

Referee
Hahaha shadow puppetry... yep keeping that dream alive, like i said before what is perth going to offer better than the other areas, who have already started to put bids together... if you think its just money and crowds, the ARLC won't back it, ypu have to remember they aren't expanding just for the 9th game, coz if that was the case easts tigers or jets in SEQ or the bears wherever will fill that void straight away, they want probable 1st grade players, not a team thats over 4 hours way, thats just going to strip more players away from the current talent pool already floating around the current NRL clubs, they alreadu have Melbourne storm and Sydney roosters doing that and even though redcliffe have signed up 20+ players from the current talent pool, they have a whole region of competitive juniors ready to replace that aging roster in a few years, perth don't have that
They will save another beisbane team for team 19 as it’s a safe east option that tv will pay for then allow them to sell the extra game and go with a riskier option like png for team 20

Wb1234

Referee
Doesn’t really matter per se in terms of sourcing players because the 18th team will be getting players from the 17 other clubs
Sourcing for a few years is not the same as sourcing forever

dolphins will be adding to the player pool shortly

Perth won’t. Nz2 will

it’s not the only issue for expansion but developing player certainly favours some clubs over others

Colk

First Grade

Perth won’t. Nz2 will

it’s not the only issue for expansion but developing player certainly favours some clubs over others

Yes and no. Money is the biggest determinator in all of this. Have a look at Newcastle and Gold Coast - RL areas that have developed very little and those clubs have identified very little new talent. A lot of the reason for that is the fact that they haven’t been able to complete financially - hopefully that is starting to change.

Compare that to say Melbourne. Yes their area doesn’t produce much talent at all but due to their corporate power, financial strength and recruitment process, they identify lots of new talent

mongoose

Coach

Perth won’t. Nz2 will

how is the Dolphins adding to the player pool though? they were a feeder team for the Broncos then swapped to the Warriors I think? for the last 2 seasons. They already had pathways to the NRL.

Wb1234

Referee
Yes and no. Money is the biggest determinator in all of this. Have a look at Newcastle and Gold Coast - RL areas that have developed very little and those clubs have identified very little new talent. A lot of the reason for that is the fact that they haven’t been able to complete financially - hopefully that is starting to change.

Compare that to say Melbourne. Yes their area doesn’t produce much talent at all but due to their corporate power, financial strength and recruitment process, they identify lots of new talent
Melb take juniors from qld

it’s exactly the opposite of what an nrl team should do

Newcastle and gc are all strong junior areas

with the phins coming in now melb will find it difficult to get qld juniors

Reactions: siv

MugaB

Coach
2 million a year to be spent on grassroots that wasn’t being spent before
Which is the argument PR says that perth or WA isn't getting, that could turn current player participation in WA into reserve or 1st graders, but its the catch 22, redcliffe as a club have been around since 1947, they aswell as plenty of other clubs derived from the BRL/QRL have put in the time to grow said club into a powerhouse in its own comp, i haven't seen a WA side do that, nor do i see one that wants to progress to 1st grade NRL, all that seems to be put out publically is that perth wants a license/team, but who is running said non existing club, atleast with the bears, there's an infrastructure already built, NRL isn't building a club from scratch, not when other bidders from other areas already are ready to be promoted

MugaB

Coach
They will save another beisbane team for team 19 as it’s a safe east option that tv will pay for then allow them to sell the extra game and go with a riskier option like png for team 20
theres better, newer areas to pull player talent, rather from than just seq, but after seeing the dolphins effect on the brisbane market, knowing the ARLC, they'll rush in another team in brisbane to capitalize on the area, but it's either tigers or jets, which neither i"m liking, the area of the jets (west)is moreso the growth area you'd want to expand to (as far as 1st grade) but the moneys on tigers side which is moreso south east of the city, like I've said before many times the NRL can afford both added to the comp, and hand out licences like lollies, but the player pool needs to grow, so yeah SEQ is 1st grade ready in terms of the clubs abilities to be promoted, but the players coming thru are already part of broncos, titans, storm feeder clubs feeding them now, plus dolphins soon too and again we feed peter to spite paul

Last edited:

LimeRick

Juniors
But isn't that because the stadium was wrecked by the big quake? And they moved to a much smaller capacity stadium in the meantime (ironically known as Rugby League Park)?

I don't think you're giving the full context.

It looks like Christchurch was hosting one game a year through the 2000s (including against European teams).

We've got way off track, especially for a thread about WA, but my point was that at most you've got one local ABs game a year to compete with. Really not that hard to schedule around.

Wb1234

Referee
theres better, newer areas to pull player talent, rather from than just seq, but after seeing the dolphins effect on the brisbane market, knowing the ARLC, they'll rush in another team in brisbane to capitalize on the area, but it's either tigers or jets, which neither i"m liking, the area of the jets (west)is moreso the growth area you'd want to expand to (as far as 1st grade) but the moneys on tigers side which is moreso south east of the city, like I've said before many times the NRL can afford both added to the comp, and hand out licences like lollies, but the player pool needs to grow, so yeah SEQ is 1st grade ready in terms of the clubs abilities to be promoted, but the players coming thru are already part of broncos, titans, storm feeder clubs feeding them now, plus dolphins soon too and again we feed peter to spite paul
Jets

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Perth consortium just need to show the nrl the $’s and plan for pathways,and what the wa govt is delivering, and the deal is good as done Imo.
I agree, WA is the weak link in the NRL broadcasting deal and I think V`landy`s is well aware of that now, he`ll be wanting a team in WA as a priority.
Just wish we had a little more evidence of all these wealthy backers you talk about. Everything else will take care of itself, have to admit I do like the PNG player development angle though.

MugaB

Coach
Just wish we had a little more evidence of all these wealthy backers you talk about.
Its coz they're hiding in the shadows 😂
They are waiting to see the dust settle, and leap out and attack with a offer that cant be refused..... which will of course get refused

I agree, WA is the weak link in the NRL broadcasting deal and I think V`landy`s is well aware of that now, he`ll be wanting a team in WA as a priority.
Just wish we had a little more evidence of all these wealthy backers you talk about. Everything else will take care of itself, have to admit I do like the PNG player development angle though.
Peter Cummins has financed RL in WA for 15 years. He owns Cash Converters.

The BRL hasn't "existed" in reality since 1987.

The only people pining for it would be the over 50s boomers.

I love all the nostalgia and childhood memories of it, but almost all realise it's well and truly gone. Just like the North Sydney Bears, it's a relic of a bygone era.
I'm under 40 and love the BRL. I wouldn't rule out a BRL team becoming Brisbane's third NRL club within the next 15 years and one buying into the Titans if they fall into financial strife again, but Perth and NZ 2 need to come first.

Latest posts