What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

If someone can explain to me why rl needs to put a team everywhere afl has a team I’m all ears

Adelaide’s population isn’t large, and in terms of incomes it’s on the poorer side

the market is already saturated by two afl teams

the sport has no real roots in the state and would require 100 million to make the club financially viable plus it would also need around 20 million pa in ongoing funding to try and produce juniors

it’s just a terrible roi

that 20 million in grassroots can be spent somehwere else with a better return

the afl is spending hundreds of millions in nsw and qld and it ranks last in some measures of participation.

rugby league has many places that would be well ahead of this dump for an nrl team
There's only five metro areas that are counted in the OzTam ratings. Adelaide and Perth are two of them. Teams in these cities will make our game more attractive to advertisers and drive up the value of broadcast rights. All clubs in the NRL will benefit from it. If we want our game to generate as much revenue as possible then we will need to invest in Adelaide, Perth, Auckland, Melbourne and even look at SE Asia and Japan. Our biggest competitor is cashed up rugby union clubs overseas. We need to generate more revenue to keep them away from our talent.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cowboys are not dependent on pokies for survival. They make plenty from game day, sponsorship and merchandise. Pokies are just an added bonus that the Storm also had at one stage.
They get around $4mill a year, around 15% of revenue, from the LC. Don’t kid yourself. We saw at Newcastle and Gold Coast how viable regional clubs are without pokies

The Suns were a huge mistake, there were other options (Canberra, Tasmania, 3rd WA team off the top of my head) that would have made more sense.

As for the Giants - a 2nd Sydney team made sense, but the execution (everything from branding to the bizarre "Canberra as a 2nd market" idea) was not great.
Anna Bligh wanted the Suns to boost the tourism sector on the Gold Coast during the winter. Victorians fly up to the Gold Coast for a holiday and get to see their team beat the Suns by 50.

The Pirates are wanted by the WA Gov because they'll provide 12 revenue drawing events. We're crazy if we don't cash in on the WA gov's eagerness to have 12 NRL games a year at Perth Oval.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Anna Bligh wanted the Suns to boost the tourism sector on the Gold Coast during the winter. Victorians fly up to the Gold Coast for a holiday and get to see their team beat the Suns by 50.

The Pirates are wanted by the WA Gov because they'll provide 12 revenue drawing events. We're crazy if we don't cash in on the WA gov's eagerness to have 12 NRL games a year at Perth Oval.
Nrl would have to be totally stupid, or incredibly incompetent, not to take advantage they currently have with a cashed up RL supporting WA govt.

Tigers1986

Juniors
WA is a pipe dream. If the NRL wanted it to stay around, they would've fought harder when the Super League collapsed, rather than investing their attention to Melbourne. I hope they never get a team.

Canard

Immortal
If someone can explain to me why rl needs to put a team everywhere afl has a team I’m all ears

Adelaide’s population isn’t large, and in terms of incomes it’s on the poorer side

the market is already saturated by two afl teams

the sport has no real roots in the state and would require 100 million to make the club financially viable plus it would also need around 20 million pa in ongoing funding to try and produce juniors

it’s just a terrible roi

that 20 million in grassroots can be spent somehwere else with a better return

the afl is spending hundreds of millions in nsw and qld and it ranks last in some measures of participation.

rugby league has many places that would be well ahead of this dump for an nrl team

Where are these numbers coming from?

$100M to set up a club and $20M a year just for juniors?

Where are these numbers coming from?

$100M to set up a club and $20M a year just for juniors?
News Ltd and ARLC invested about $100m in the Storm between 1998 and 2018. It works out at about $5m a year which isn't that much and has brought way more than $100m into the game from broadcast rights and the Victorian government. You have to spend money to make money. Without the Storm our broadcast rights wouldn't be as strong. Everyone benefits from that, from the players to the clubs and the state bodies.

WA is a pipe dream. If the NRL wanted it to stay around, they would've fought harder when the Super League collapsed, rather than investing their attention to Melbourne. I hope they never get a team.
Tigers were dudded by Klein, so the ARLC owe them a favour. The nicest gift the ARLC can give to the Tigers is a large city all to themselves with ONE stadium to play all 12 of their home games.

Western Tigers.

That'll right the wrong and allow Tigers to go from dreaming about finishing 9th to having a club that can be strong like the Storm.

flippikat

Bench
Who would have (should have?) fought harder?

The NRL was product of two partners.

The ARL - who wanted to preserve Sydney clubs, and may have had a chip on their shoulder about the Reds defecting to SL - they surely didn't mind the Reds, Rams & Mariners being axed, as they were "low hanging fruit" when it came to reducing the competition size without rationalizing Sydney too much - and they even left the Chargers out to die, despite being one of the few profitable clubs during the war.

News Ltd - now, Melbourne was always the market they always wanted to get into, and scrunching down the Reds, Mariners & later the Rams into the Storm Squad meant they could get into that market with a strong team pretty much right away. Plus, Melbourne is a closer & bigger market than Melbourne, and the reduced travel costs probably played a role there too.

In brief, the short-term "cut costs, reduce teams" environment of the early NRL made it all too easy to axe the Reds, BECAUSE it was all short-term thinking at the time.

Anyway.. do we have any more updates on the whole Perth Bears idea recently, or is it a total dead duck?

westerntiger

Juniors
News Ltd - now, Melbourne was always the market they always wanted to get into, and scrunching down the Reds, Mariners & later the Rams into the Storm Squad meant they could get into that market with a strong team pretty much right away. Plus, Melbourne is a closer & bigger market than Melbourne, and the reduced travel costs probably played a role there too.
the NRL should forget the AFL states altogether. One time when I was in Melbourne I bought the Herald Sun and the Storm score was in the middle of the paper with the personals

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who would have (should have?) fought harder?

The NRL was product of two partners.

The ARL - who wanted to preserve Sydney clubs, and may have had a chip on their shoulder about the Reds defecting to SL - they surely didn't mind the Reds, Rams & Mariners being axed, as they were "low hanging fruit" when it came to reducing the competition size without rationalizing Sydney too much - and they even left the Chargers out to die, despite being one of the few profitable clubs during the war.

In brief, the short-term "cut costs, reduce teams" environment of the early NRL made it all too easy to axe the Reds, BECAUSE it was all short-term thinking at the time.

Anyway.. do we have any more updates on the whole Perth Bears idea recently, or is it a total dead duck?
It’s all gone quiet again, which is what happens here. Loads of talk leading up to a big game in perth,silence afterwards. Hopefully the WA consortiums are going about their business and preparing irresistible bids, without the bears.

Colk

First Grade
the NRL should forget the AFL states altogether. One time when I was in Melbourne I bought the Herald Sun and the Storm score was in the middle of the paper with the personals

So you’re using one personal experience to say we should get rid of the Storm. Notwithstanding, they have the highest membership in the game, one of the higher average attendance and probably one of the highest supporting clubs

Good call

Latest posts