What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Perth Red

Post Whore
Central coast is never getting a team, Adelaide isn't getting a team in my lifetime. It will be Perth (or NZ2) followed by Brisbane3 and whoever missed out for club 18 out of Perth and NZ2. That will take 20 years plus to happen. After that who knows what the world will look like.

flippikat

Bench
All those pooh-poohing Adelaide need to look at the Rams crowds in 1997 again.

The audience for rugby league is there, we just need an administration that has faith in going to big markets in AFL-land.

Wb1234

Referee

The audience for rugby league is there, we just need an administration that has faith in going to big markets in AFL-land.
You could put an nrl team in Dubbo and they would get similar crowds

but dubbo would probably be more economically viable

the nrl isn’t afl

indeed afls dots in a map strategy has been a massive failure

league has loads of places that can easily support a team before Adelaide

The Great Dane

First Grade

the nrl isn’t afl

I knew you were a moron but this is just an indictment on the education system at this point…

Colk

First Grade

the nrl isn’t afl

That’s hilarious.

The crowds in Adelaide were bigger than some of the Sydney sides at that time so by that rationale you’d kill a few Sydney sides and put a team in Dubbo.

Also there is no way that Dubbo, which is a town of just over 40k in the middle of nowhere, is more economically viable than a city of over 1 million people (probably close to 1.5 million now). I know you are making an argument against Adelaide and you can make such an argument without making ridiculous assertions.

Wb1234

Referee
That’s hilarious.

The crowds in Adelaide were bigger than some of the Sydney sides at that time so by that rationale you’d kill a few Sydney sides and put a team in Dubbo.

Also there is no way that Dubbo, which is a town of just over 40k in the middle of nowhere, is more economically viable than a city of over 1 million people (probably close to 1.5 million now). I know you are making an argument against Adelaide and you can make such an argument without making ridiculous assertions.
Adelaide is the absolute dregs of Australia

leave it for two afl teams

Perth should end up with a team eventually but not Adelaide

flippikat

Bench

Right, so you're gonna condemn a market of *1.3 million people*, just because you dislike the city & think they'll never watch NRL then?

See, this is what holds our sport back.

Wb1234

Referee
Right, so you're gonna condemn a market of *1.3 million people*, just because you dislike the city & think they'll never watch NRL then?

See, this is what holds our sport back.
If someone can explain to me why rl needs to put a team everywhere afl has a team I’m all ears

Adelaide’s population isn’t large, and in terms of incomes it’s on the poorer side

the market is already saturated by two afl teams

the sport has no real roots in the state and would require 100 million to make the club financially viable plus it would also need around 20 million pa in ongoing funding to try and produce juniors

it’s just a terrible roi

that 20 million in grassroots can be spent somehwere else with a better return

the afl is spending hundreds of millions in nsw and qld and it ranks last in some measures of participation.

rugby league has many places that would be well ahead of this dump for an nrl team

Perth Red

Post Whore

Its not about if an Adelaide NRL club could get 15k or not. I have no doubt a well run club could. There are a multitude of factors as to where the next NRL clubs should go and Adelaide don't tick too many of them.
Some serious investment in NRLSA would be a good start before we start considering a NRL club.
Personally Id like to see Adelaide before Brisbane3 but its highly unlikely.
All things being equal it will be Perth Team 18 - 2028 then NZ2 Team 19, Brisbane3 Team 20. That probably wont happen until 2035-2040 so in reality we'd be looking nearer 2050 by time Adelaide came in, if at all. Shame but that's the small mindedness of RL for you. Cant even get one club in every big city, in a country with only 5 big cities!

flippikat

Bench
Its not about if a Adelaide NRL club could get 15k or not. I have no doubt a well run club could. There are a multitude of factors as to where the next NRL clubs should go and Adelaide don't tick too many of them. Some serious investment in NRLSA would be a good start before we start considering a NRL club.
I'm not denying there's groundwork needed, nor am I saying that Adelaide is there yet - because it isn't there yet.

However, closing the door forever (or even being indefinite & vague) is IMO folly

We need to be there, The preparation has to start NOW, and the NRL has to have a roadmap for how an Adelaide team happens.

Whether that's in 10 years time or more, the first steps need to be made - and in a way that leads smoothly to a team there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm not denying there's groundwork needed, nor am I saying that Adelaide is there yet - because it isn't there yet.

However, closing the door forever (or even being indefinite & vague) is IMO folly

We need to be there, The preparation has to start NOW, and the NRL has to have a roadmap for how an Adelaide team happens.

Whether that's in 10 years time or more, the first steps need to be made - and in a way that leads smoothly to a team there.
Totally agree but the NRl doesn't have a long term road map for anything. The last 5 year strat plan was so devoid of any detail it was meaningless. Perth has been a no brainer since 2013, Brisbane 2 even longer, yet here we are. The chances of the ARLC having a plan and investing in it to make Adelaide ready for an NRL club are slim to none!

flippikat

Bench
Totally agree but the NRl doesn't have a long term road map for anything. The last 5 year strat plan was so devoid of any detail it was meaningless. Perth has been a no brainer since 2013, Brisbane 2 even longer, yet here we are. The chances of the ARLC having a plan and investing in it to make Adelaide ready for an NRL club are slim to none!
Absolutely, and it's shameful that the 2nd biggest winter sport in Australia has absolutely no plan (nor desire, it seems) to truly broaden beyond it's heartland.

However, it's on us - the progressive, forward thinking sector of the Rugby league community to keep raising this issue, keep encouraging the NRL to grow the sport, and try to encourage others in fandom & the media to broaden their horizons.

I know it's hard to mount the same arguments again and again to others who just don't get it, but we must persevere in that message.

Colk

First Grade

That’s fine if that’s your opinion (although I disagree with you based on the example of the Rams itself - it would have worked if given the chance to succeed) Also, Adelaide is not that bad a place. Yes, it is a bit slow in terms of excitement but the way you talk about it, you’d think it was part of the third world.

Just don’t use a straw man proposition like Dubbo of all places to use in your argument.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes wonder why News Ltd shut them down
Because they don't care what's best for the game and will always do what's best for them. In the case of the Reds it was because they could see a more lucrative market in Melbourne. ARL was complicit instead of fighting for what was best for the game, and here we are 25 years later. Probably what is more of interest is why did Adelaide survive the 97 cull instead of the Reds?
I've heard a lot of it had to do with News wanting to move the stronger Reds infrastructure to Melbourne, coupled with the ARL's desire to hold on to Sydney clubs and to teach Perth a lesson for siding with SL. It's a shame we couldn't keep them both but there is no doubt the Reds would have ended up the stronger club if allowed to continue.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
That’s fine if that’s your opinion (although I disagree with you based on the example of the Rams itself - it would have worked if given the chance to succeed) Also, Adelaide is not that bad a place. Yes, it is a bit slow in terms of excitement but the way you talk about it, you’d think it was part of the third world.

Just don’t use a straw man proposition like Dubbo of all places to use in your argumenYes wonder why News Ltd shut them down
Yes wonder why News Ltd shut them down
The weirdest thing was news ltd killing off the reds then starting up a team in Melbourne instead based on players from the reds and the Newcastle super league side

Wb1234

Referee
Absolutely, and it's shameful that the 2nd biggest winter sport in Australia has absolutely no plan (nor desire, it seems) to truly broaden beyond it's heartland.

However, it's on us - the progressive, forward thinking sector of the Rugby league community to keep raising this issue, keep encouraging the NRL to grow the sport, and try to encourage others in fandom & the media to broaden their horizons.

I know it's hard to mount the same arguments again and again to others who just don't get it, but we must persevere in that message.
Australia’s second biggest winter sport doesn’t have teams in Auckland Newcastle Townsville or Canberra

and as a league fan I would never swap those places for Perth or Adelaide

Latest posts