What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Nuke

Staff member
I like that Bears logo, the W (Western Australia) on the left ear and the N (North Sydney) on the right ear.
As for trials at North Sydney oval, I’d stick with Perth for trials, this is a Perth side, there are going to be a heap of games in NSW e.g. Penrith, St George, Parramatta, the Bulldogs, Wests Tigers, the Roosters, the Sharks, the Rabbitohs, Manly, Newcastle and not that far away to travel Canberra.
If you look at Perths 1997 Super League Jersey, I’ve always thought that’s close to what the Bears would have looked like had they joined Super League, they would have been the opposite though with black on red so the two sides didn’t clash with each other.
There's actually a lot going on in that logo. Many subtle references.
As you say, 'W' on the left ear (the west side) for WA and 'N' on the right ear (the east).
The left side of the bear's head is the WA coastline, and the left side of the bear's head is yellow-red-black (WA's bid colours) while the right side is just red-black (NS's bid colours).

While not the biggest fan of that logo in its present state, I do like it, but I love subtle, hidden references in logos. I always like to sneak hidden references in logos I design if I can too. I did one many years ago, an update of the Western Reds logo (to be used for a WA Reds bid ... just for fun but I did present it to NRLWA at the time that they were about to rebrand the WA Reds as the West Coast Pirates). I put the WA state silhouette in the kangaroo's ear. I don't know that anyone picked that up, but it's there!

Wb1234

Referee
They should have told them that it was never, ever, going to happen two decades ago. They should have reclaimed Manly's license at the first opportunity after the merger fell apart as well, but that's a separate discussion.

I'll give up on this sport if corruption in Sydney allows the Bears to white ant the sport in an expansion market.
So bears come in and you give up rugby league ?

where’s the downside ?

you’re right about the license it should’ve gone back to central coast bears

Centy Coast

Juniors
They should have told them that it was never, ever, going to happen two decades ago. They should have reclaimed Manly's license at the first opportunity after the merger fell apart as well, but that's a separate discussion.

I'll give up on this sport if corruption in Sydney allows the Bears to white ant the sport in an expansion market.
The Bears had no chance in hell of picking up the Northern Eagles NRL license, Arthurson and Fulton used everything in their arsenal to make sure of that, plus Norths CEO at the time found himself in a nice new job with Manly Leagues Club and driving a brand new Maserati, nothing suss happening there though lol

The Great Dane

First Grade
The Bears had no chance in hell of picking up the Northern Eagles NRL license, Arthurson and Fulton used everything in their arsenal to make sure of that, plus Norths CEO at the time found himself in a nice new job with Manly Leagues Club and driving a brand new Maserati, nothing suss happening there though lol
I never suggested otherwise...

But frankly, if the Bears had dotted their I's and crossed their T's they never would have agreed to the merger under those conditions in the first place. It's almost as if allowing yourself to get desperate causes you to act irrationally.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
So bears come in and you give up rugby league ?

where’s the downside ?
The sport continues it's slow march into irrelevance like RU before it.

The current successes are sugar rushes that aren't sustainable, just like RU and SR's popularity at it's peak in the early 00s wasn't sustainable. If the NRL don't make changes now they'll be struggling in a decade or so time.
you’re right about the license it should’ve gone back to central coast bears
I didn't say that.

I said the NRL should have reclaimed the Northern Eagle's license at the earliest opportunity, not that they should haven give it to the Bears, or relocated it to the CC.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Don’t forget - Perth Red also said he’d give up on NRL too if the Perth Bears get in.

How can anybody be against the Perth Bears? 😂
Nope, I said I wouldn't support them with any gusto, Ive been a RL fan for 43 years and will be till I turn my toes up. Im not like these Sydney RL fans who jumped to AFL apparently when clubs were cut or merged lol

Centy Coast

Juniors
Nope, I said I wouldn't support them with any gusto, Ive been a RL fan for 43 years and will be till I turn my toes up. Im not like these Sydney RL fans who jumped to AFL apparently when clubs were cut or merged lol
I haven’t followed anybody since the Bears were given the flick, I tried with the Northern Eagles but it was really Manly in disguise, I tried with Newcastle, I even tried with the Roosters when my sons played for them in the Central Coast Roosters Harold Matt’s, S.G. Ball and Jersey Flegg teams.
I have an interest in the NRL because I’ve known current players like Nicho Hynes, Daniel and Jacob Saifiti, Tommy Trbojevic, Connor Watson, Scotty Drinkwater, Bradman Best, Jacob Liddle and Tom Starling since they were all around 7 years old.
It’s still weird hearing their names on the tele.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The other reason Id sack them off, and no offense CC, is that damn god ugly bear head on the logo they insist has to stay!
It looks like a Bear got its nuts trapped in a Bear trap!
Cant believe NS updated the badge and kept that ugly outdated thing on there.
The WA Bear mock up was a lot better though the colours probably wouldn't translate well to jerseys and websites etc and the vogue these days is to have digital ready simple logos like Dolphins have done.

WC Bears8.jpg

Centy Coast

Juniors
The other reason Id sack them off, and no offense CC, is that damn god ugly bear head on the logo they insist has to stay!
The WA Bear mock up was a lot better though the colours probably wouldn't translate well to jerseys and websites etc and the vogue these days is to have digital ready simple logos like Dolphins have done.

View attachment 71533
No offence at all, that’s what these forums are for, everybody has an opinion. They have said that the Bear is non negotiable, but any Bear ?, time will tell.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No offence at all, that’s what these forums are for, everybody has an opinion. They have said that the Bear is non negotiable, but any Bear ?, time will tell.
I know how precious some people can be about such things lol. My SL club changed its badge last year, and there was much murmuring but most now seem to like it. Its simpler and digital world ready whilst keeping a nod to our history and playing on our Robins nickname (or angry birds as its become known lol)

Old Hull_Kingston_Rovers_logo.svg.png New Rovers.png on merch and digital rovers robin logo.jpg

docbrown

Coach
Okay great. We’re agreed. Perth Bears it is.

MugaB

Coach

View attachment 71533
That logo is ugly, and colorless, it looks like an old 80s AFL logo... like the brisbane bears

Wb1234

Referee
No instead you just spent the past 20 years making 50,000 posts about how wonderful afl is instead

Latest posts