What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Wb1234

Referee
I’ve been saying all along the govt is cashed up and keen for a club. Like I said above thought it’s highly unlikely they will directly fund a club. I can see them putting money into jnrs and a base for the club though, and upgrading hbf again.
Didn’t they get a state body to pay a generous sponsorship deal for the force way back ?

investing in juniors will catch the arlc eye they are all about junior pathways. Esp if they don’t have to fund them

hbf will get upgraded anyway for the union wc it needs to be more than that

if they are going to overtake nz then the government better be putting up some very decent support

shame the govt can’t build them a leagues club

Perth Red

Post Whore
Which as a Bears fans, is exactly what a lot of Bears fans want. Obviously I can't prove this, but I'd be willing to bet that there're some at the club it's self that are having similar thoughts also.

I'd be extremely wary of them using relocating as shortcut to an NRL license, then tanking it and using it "failing" as an excuse to move back to Sydney or maybe the CC.
The concern is knowing how small world Vlandys is that he has told the wa govt the best chance of getting a club is the bears. For him getting another Sydney suburb back in by any means would be a win.

in reality bears offer nothing really. Their LC isn’t particularly profitable so won’t be puttIng much money in.
jnrs, we’ll in reality we could partner with any nsw or qlnd cup team and get that and we keep being told kids don’t play rl in NS anymore.
nso isn’t nrl standard and shouldnt be hosting any games.
we might pick up a couple of thousand bears old timers as members but would have to give up home games for it.

all in all it sounds a bad idea to me.

jim_57

Staff member
Which as a Bears fans, is exactly what a lot of Bears fans want. Obviously I can't prove this, but I'd be willing to bet that there're some at the club it's self that are having similar thoughts also.

I'd be extremely wary of them using relocating as shortcut to an NRL license, then tanking it and using it "failing" as an excuse to move back to Sydney or maybe the CC.

Hypothetically I’m sure the NRL could put measures is place to block them moving the team. It would be a black-eye that would set expansion back an eternity if the Bears half assed Perth and either got kicked out again or the NRL let them relocate back to NSW essentially wasting an expansion spot.

Menaiduck

Juniors
The concern is knowing how small world Vlandys is that he has told the wa govt the best chance of getting a club is the bears. For him getting another Sydney suburb back in by any means would be a win.

in reality bears offer nothing really. Their LC isn’t particularly profitable so won’t be puttIng much money in.
jnrs, we’ll in reality we could partner with any nsw or qlnd cup team and get that and we keep being told kids don’t play rl in NS anymore.
nso isn’t nrl standard and shouldnt be hosting any games.
we might pick up a couple of thousand bears old timers as members but would have to give up home games for it.

all in all it sounds a bad idea to me.
NS juniors have spiked this year as have Manly’s. Parramatta are down. Sharks are very up. Everybody else is stable. The politics of this are a government that wants a team, a code that wants an 18th team and money and a woebegone club that wants a revival. Good luck

Perth Red

Post Whore
Didn’t they get a state body to pay a generous sponsorship deal for the force way back ?

investing in juniors will catch the arlc eye they are all about junior pathways. Esp if they don’t have to fund them

hbf will get upgraded anyway for the union wc it needs to be more than that

if they are going to overtake nz then the government better be putting up some very decent support

shame the govt can’t build them a leagues club
yeh Libs became their main sponsor through some serious dodgy sht, and there was massive backlash about it.

depends if RUWC use optus.
We’re already ahead of nz lol

Wb1234

Referee
NS juniors have spiked this year as have Manly’s. Parramatta are down. Sharks are very up. Everybody else is stable. The politics of this are a government that wants a team, a code that wants an 18th team and money and a woebegone club that wants a revival. Good luck
That’s good news about juniors. Do you have any links I can read

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hypothetically I’m sure the NRL could put measures is place to block them moving the team. It would be a black-eye that would set expansion back an eternity if the Bears half assed Perth and either got kicked out again or the NRL let them relocate back to NSW essentially wasting an expansion spot.
Like they did the northern eagles? Not like there isn’t a precedent!

Wb1234

Referee

Wb1234

Referee
The arlc should use leverage to get both Christchurch and Perth to bid against each other

whichever city can get the most government support wins

Perth Red

Post Whore
The arlc should use leverage to get both Christchurch and Perth to bid against each other

whichever city can get the most government support wins
Agreed, I’d take our states $11 bill surplus over Christchurch city councils funds lol

christchurch city budget $1.1billion
WA government budget $35billion!

Menaiduck

Juniors
That’s good news about juniors. Do you have any links I can read
Go to the play rugby league site but you need to know what the 2019 numbers were for a comparison. I do because I’m a stats freak. The trick is this. You can only work out what district team numbers are by going to each club site and counting their teams as some have cross districts competitions.
Roughly the district figures are:
Penrith 600
Cronulla 400
Parramatta 350
South’s wests Canterbury 200-250 each
Manly 150
Balmain 100
NS 90
Easts and st George 50 each

This is rough but adds up to about 2500 teams which is about right.
Thats just Sydney.

Wb1234

Referee
Agreed, I’d take our states $11 bill surplus over Christchurch city councils funds lol

christchurch city budget $1.1billion
WA government budget $35billion!
Cool just throw 1 billion at this bid it’s chump change for your government !

The Great Dane

First Grade
If push came to shove do you believe the NRL would have the balls to allow them to fold, or at least completely f**k themselves, to prevent them from moving back to Sydney/NSW?

The NRL would capitulate as soon as they were faced with not being able to meet their contractual agreements with all their partners and stakeholders, and the Bears would be given free reign to do as they please.

Trust RL to be the only sport where it doesn't seem ridiculous to suggest that teams would move away from big profitable markets to small "traditional" ones. Seriously, this is the only sport where the equivalent of the Lakers even considering returning to Minneapolis seems like a realistic possibility lol.

jim_57

Staff member
If push came to shove do you believe the NRL would have the balls to allow them to fold, or at least completely f**k themselves, to prevent them from moving back to Sydney/NSW?

The NRL would capitulate as soon as they were faced with not being able to meet their contractual agreements with all their partners and stakeholders, and the Bears would be given free reign to do as they please.

Trust RL to be the only sport where it doesn't seem ridiculous to suggest that teams would move away from big profitable markets to small "traditional" ones. Seriously, this is the only sport where the equivalent of the Lakers even considering returning to Minneapolis seems like a realistic possibility lol.

Not in the slightest and the Bears know it. They don’t even try to pretend they’ll buy in to the new markets any more if the “Up to 6 games at North Sydney Oval” is true.

Menaiduck

Juniors
I’ve been saying all along the govt is cashed up and keen for a club. Like I said above though it’s highly unlikely they will directly fund a club. I can see them putting money into jnrs and a base for the club though, and upgrading hbf again.
I think your biggest problem is the haste of government to get a team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think your biggest problem is the haste of government to get a team.
We have to remember this is a rothfield article! It’s quite possible the govt was over sussing out if the nrl is serious about Perth as an option and the bears angle is just the usual syndey sht. From a dropkick journo. Even the bears man said it’s only been a cursory conversation. It’s possible the WA govt is talking to all interested parties to see whose serious.

flippikat

Bench
We have to remember this is a rothfield article! It’s quite possible the govt was over sussing out if the nrl is serious about Perth as an option and the bears angle is just the usual syndey sht. From a dropkick journo. Even the bears man said it’s only been a cursory conversation. It’s possible the WA govt is talking to all interested parties to see whose serious.
As cynical as it may sound, I wonder if this means his employer are now lining up "Perth Bears" as THEIR preferred 18th team.

As mentioned in this thread already, the devil is in the detail.. and if Norths have a "Get out" pathway that sees them take the license back to NSW if it goes pear-shaped, there's NO WAY that Perth should accept that.

I'd be looking for some very clear "bottom lines" that ensure an NRL team's presence in WA before entering into the agreement.

Last edited:

Menaiduck

Juniors
Agreed

Latest posts