What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

BuffaloRules

Coach
TBF it sounds like they dont have much choice. So I guess the decision the WA team then has to make is do they miss the opportunity all together and wait another 20 years or jump into bed reluctantly with a unwanted bride and hope the marriage is better than expected?

On the up side it sounds like the WA bid got the key things it needed ie perth owned, perth based and perth run. NS get the secured NRL pathway to keep them relevant into theand the brand back in top flight.

This is RL, our rival sport would never have created this opportunity for failure, but this is RL.

I dont think it will mean the difference between success and failure of the team,,, our rival sport did do something similar …twice

Perth Red

Post Whore
I dont think it will mean the difference between success and failure of the team,,, our rival sport did do something similar …twice
but they didnt. What is being proposed for perth is nothing like what happened with Swans and Lions. In those cases they moved the entire clubs lock stock and barrel to another city with full new ownership .
No non negotiables, no foot in each city, no 'home games' not at home, no board places for the old vestibules.

What's being proposed here is that NS continue to be NS and Perth take on a Sydney brand that will still be a Sydney brand playing at a second tier level in Sydney but somehow make it our own. I mean they literally have been throwing around TWO cities one future as the slogan for this!

BuffaloRules

Coach
He pretty much confirmed the NRL said they had to partner with the Bears. hopefully it works out better than the other mergers.

I would have preferred them to be stand alone …however they have made fheir call to throw in with the Bears now … so time to move forward

i dont even know if this really has any negative associations with their target audience

BuffaloRules

Coach
but they didnt. What is being proposed for perth is nothing like what happened with Swans and Lions. In those cases they moved the entire clubs lock stock and barrel to another city with full new ownership .
No non neogtiables, no foot in each city, no board places for the old vestibules.

What's being proposed here is that NS continue to be NS and Perth take on a Sydney brand that will still be a Sydney brand playing at a second tier level in Sydney but somehow make it our own. I mean they literally have been throwing around TWO cities one future as the slogan for this!

The Lions started as a stand alone …( ironically the Bears ) failed and merged with a failing Melbourne AFL team …

The Swans just got handed the failed Melb brand from the start

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Lions started as a stand alone …( ironically the Bears ) failed and merged with a failing Melbourne AFL team …

The Swans just got handed the failed Melb brand from the start
yes I know, but what ive stated as the difference in the two approaches is significant.
Swans and Lions are not what is being proposed for perth.

'No non negotiables, no foot in each city, no 'home games' not at home, no board places for the old vestibules.' That was the afl relocation approach, this is very different.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I would have preferred them to be stand alone …however they have made fheir call to throw in with the Bears now … so time to move forward

i dont even know if this really has any negative associations with their target audience
yep, all we can now do is hope they do it well and its a huge success.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Maybe would have sold out quicker if better priced or even sold more tickets at Optus?
I mean, sure... you want it sell out quicker for less money? That's not how businesses works. If it sells out too quickly you are too cheap, if it doesn't sell out, you are too expensive or the stadium is too big. Ideally you've nailed it if it sells out right before game day

Perth Red

Post Whore
I mean, sure... you want it sell out quicker for less money? That's not how businesses works. If it sells out too quickly you are too cheap, if it doesn't sell out, you are too expensive or the stadium is too big. Ideally you've nailed it if it sells out right before game day
being ripped off leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

BuffaloRules

Coach
yes I know, but what ive stated as the difference in the two approaches is significant.
Swans and Lions are not what is being proposed for perth.

'No non negotiables, no foot in each city, no 'home games' not at home, no board places for the old vestibules.'

you are putting the cart before the horse … we don’t know what the “non negotiables” will be ..

The Swans and Lions have a ”foot in each city “ to this day with thousands of memberships from their old city

Perth Red

Post Whore
you are putting the cart before the horse … we don’t know what the “non negotiables” will be ..

The Swans and Lions have a ”foot in each city “ to this day with thousands of memberships from their old city
they have an old fanbase presence and thats it. they dont play 'home ' games there, they dont have the old club on the board, they dont run second tier teams in that area anymore. Pretty much everything different than is being proposed for Perth.

BuffaloRules

Coach
they have an old fanbase presence and thats it. they dont play 'home ' games there, they dont have the old club on the board, they dont run second tier teams in that area anymore. Pretty much everything different than is being proposed for Perth.

And we don’t know if the Perth Bears will play any home games in Sydney ..

There is more in common with the decision than different

Perth Red

Post Whore
And not use it as an excuse for failure ..like I said …the time to object to it is now …if you think it’s an issue
bit simplistic, sometimes marriages start off great but fall apart as time goes on and the novelty wears off and the irritations with each other grow lol.

The majority of fans in perth Id suggest want a stand alone club. So now we are faced with either following something we didnt really want, or not.
All I can hope now is its done well, done right for WA and that its now a success. Another failure over here will see the end of the game forever in all possibility.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And we don’t know if the Perth Bears will play any home games in Sydney ..

There is more in common with the decision than different
from what has been said so far there is very little in common in reality.
Of course it might not eventuate that way, but from the rhetoric from NS so far its highly unlikely they are going to close up shop and just hand everything over to WA like happened in Swans and Lions scenarios.

Latest posts