What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Menaiduck

Juniors
Blah
Onionball and Twiggy must be laughing their arse off at this hillbilly proposition.

Putting a failed Sydney team in Perth and playing 1 to 6 of its hone matches at a dilapidated cricket ground in North Sydney will be great for the Western Force. Onionball and Twiggy will talk it down as a failed club from Sydney that is trying to steal Perth's resources to fund RL in a part of Sydney that never had enough fans or investors to support a team. Western Australians already believe their resources are being unfairly taken away from them and given to the eastern states, so you can bet your arse this is how it will be viewed.

Have any businessmen from Western Australia come forward and promised to fund this failed Sydney club, or is Rothfield and co just assuming they will because they think everyone is in love with Sydney?

Parochial Western Australians will gladly reject the Bears and adopt the Force as their second team behind the West Coast Eagles / Fremantle Dockers. Onionball is already ahead of us in Perth with a 15+ year head start, so we're playing catch up and cannot afford to be arrogant about this.

Onionball was arrogant with Melbourne and are paying the price. Locals stuck with the Storm because it was there long before the Rebels came around and made an attempt to blend in with the local culture, which appealed to AwFuL fans.

If the ARLC wants to convert the next generation or Western Australians to rugby league then bring in the Pirates. It already has history in the SG Ball and is owned by Western Australians.

Only the Chargers and Titans have been based on the Gold Coast. The other clubs were based out of Seagulls Stadium in Tweed Heads, NSW.

Burleigh blocked North Sydney's attempt to buy the Titans a few years ago, going as far as threatening legal action.
blah blah blah

Perth Red

Post Whore
Have any businessmen from Western Australia come forward and promised to fund this failed Sydney club, or is Rothfield and co just assuming they will because they think everyone is in love with Sydney?
Puddy has back in 2018. Cant say about Cummins or Sage or anyone else who is out there eyeing up the possibilities

'Fairfax Media reports North Sydney Bears chairman Perry Lopez and Western Reds chairman Laurie Puddy have entered secret discussions over a possible combined bid for an NRL license.'

The North Sydney Bears and a Western Australian consortium are exploring the prospect of joining forces to create a "Western Bears" franchise seeking inclusion in an expanded NRL competition.

Just a day after new ARLC chairman Peter Beattie declared rugby league must "expand or die", Fairfax Media can reveal former Western Reds chairman Laurie Puddy and North Sydney Bears chairman Perry Lopez have held a series of secret talks about a potential combined bid. While the negotiations are still in their infancy, both parties remain open to the prospect of working together to provide a compelling case for an NRL license

Perth Red

Post Whore

nz2 has this. It’s time now for nz to form a consortium if they don’t want to lose this license
No its time for the NRL to indicate how it will choose club 18 so people dont waste their time and money chasing bid development that will never be needed and fans dont get pssed off at yet more hope dashed on the rocks of nrl stupidity.

Wb1234

Referee
No its time for the NRL to indicate how it will choose club 18 so people dont waste their time and money chasing bid development that will never be needed and fans dont get pssed off at yet more hope dashed on the rocks of nrl stupidity.
It’s a competition

may the best bid win.

nz need to show if they want this license or not

unlike you I want what’s best for rugby league

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s a competition

may the best bid win.

nz need to show if they want this license or not

unlike you I want what’s best for rugby league
Thats my point, we don't know if it is or if the ARLC will choose the city it wants the next team in. Until they do that there is no point in PNG, Perth or NZ putting bids together.

Wb1234

Referee
Thats my point, we don't know if it is or if the ARLC will choose the city it wants the next team in. Until they do that there is no point in PNG, Perth or NZ putting bids together.
They said they wanted a team in nz. The response from nz was radio silence

then the wa govt decided we want this how can we make it work

it’s now up to nz to respond. A lack of response from them and they are pretty much dead in the water

Perth Red

Post Whore
Couple of interesting points from this interview with Bears Chair.

1. Sounds like WA Govt has spoken with Vlandys and he is the one who said speak to the Bears. That would suggest he thinks its a good idea.

2. The Chair seemed realistic about games in Sydney and seemed ti intimate that a game against Manly would be enough.

3. Very early days and Bears still feel they can go it alone (lol)

Wb1234

Referee
There’s another benefit for a Perth nrl team as well and that’s supporting origin games in Perth

Between the wa govt putting up 10 million to host it and a sell out gate and corporates the arlc are probably making 25 to 30 million from the game

Perth Red

Post Whore
They said they wanted a team in nz. The response from nz was radio silence

then the wa govt decided we want this how can we make it work

it’s now up to nz to respond. A lack of response from them and they are pretty much dead in the water
What about Chalmers Southern Orcas bid? In May he said he could put a consortium together, two months after the Abdo comment.

NRL needs to decide soon if it will be an open competition, in which case we could see some totally new bid teams come out of the woodwork, or if it is going to be closed in that the team will be in a pre determined city of their choosing like they did for club 17. There's a lot of harm and wasted time and money in possible bid teams building hopes and expectation before we know this

Perth Red

Post Whore
There’s another benefit for a Perth nrl team as well and that’s supporting origin games in Perth

Between the wa govt putting up 10 million to host it and a sell out gate and corporates the arlc are probably making 25 to 30 million from the game
And future magic weekends. I can see with a team that could be massive here and generate the sport tourist $ that the WA Govt is chasing hard.

Wb1234

Referee
What about Chalmers Southern Orcas bid? In May he said he could put a consortium together, two months after the Abdo comment.

NRL needs to decide soon if it will be an open competition, in which case we could see some totally new bid teams come out of the woodwork, or if it is going to be closed in that the team will be in a pre determined city of their choosing like they did for club 17. There's a lot of harm and wasted time and money in possible bid teams building hopes and expectation before we know this
I saw what he did at Bradford

guy is a snake oil salesman

Wb1234

Referee
And future magic weekends. I can see with a team that could be massive here and generate the sport tourist $ that the WA Govt is chasing hard.
That’s why I jumped ship from nz2 to Perth

they are now what’s best for the game

they won’t always have a supportive government who want to make a team happen

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do the people so opposed to a 11/1 or 10/2 Perth/Sydney split also oppose the idea of NZ2 playing in Wellington AND Christchurch?

Wb1234

Referee
That may be so but you asked for someone from NZ to step forward, and they already have.
Someone who actually can make a difference

Who knows with the stadium getting built perhaps their government starts chasing an nrl team like Perth did

a second tenant and inbound tourism could be a reason for them to do this just like wa are doing

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’s why I jumped ship from nz2 to Perth

they are now what’s best for the game

they won’t always have a supportive government who want to make a team happen
Yeh we are def running out of time in the current era. Cummins and Puddy are not getting any younger and McGowan will only be around for another few years. But then we were in a great position to announce a club in 2012 and ended up with nothing.

Wb1234

Referee
Yeh we are def running out of time in the current era. Cummins and Puddy are not getting any younger and McGowan will only be around for another few years. But then we were in a great position to announce a club in 2012 and ended up with nothing.
Yeh gallop was never going to bring Perth In

his crowning achievement was the titans because he wasn’t allowed to add another team to Brisbane

Perth Red

Post Whore
Someone who actually can make a difference

Who knows with the stadium getting built perhaps their government starts chasing an nrl team like Perth did

a second tenant and inbound tourism could be a reason for them to do this just like wa are doing
Problem with that is they dont have a large wealthy state Govt. The city council is relatively small and still facing many challenges from the natural disasters, and the National govt probably not very interested. I can see the SMC trying to get a couple of NRL clubs to take their home games there against the Warriors but serious ongoing funding for an NRL club from the City Council? unlikely on their budget.

Colk

First Grade
Do the people so opposed to a 11/1 or 10/2 Perth/Sydney split also oppose the idea of NZ2 playing in Wellington AND Christchurch?

I would be against a split between Wellington and Christchurch mainly because they are on different islands.

I think it could work ok in Sydney, so for example teams like Sharks or Dragons could play at the SFS, or the Dogs/Tigers at Commbank for marquee games against fellow Sydney teams and inversely they play at their smaller venues against out of town regional sides (I like the idea of Sydney double headers to increase crowds) but not over great distances like Perth/Sydney or North Island/South Island.

For this Perth bid, I’d rather the players involved strike up a deal with other clubs to host their away games at NSO (i.e Manly/Roosters) rather than take away home games from Perth

Perth Red

Post Whore
For this Perth bid, I’d rather the players involved strike up a deal with other clubs to host their away games at NSO (i.e Manly/Roosters) rather than take away home games from Perth
That would cost the Perth club $300-400k (going on rates for clubs to move home games to other venues). I don't see them paying that out just so some NS Bears fans can feel nostalgic for an afternoon lol .