What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Big difference is there is massive commitment from day 1 to produce our own players. It’s taken storm 20 plus years to finally get serious about that. I think within a few years if done right in WA we will probably produce more players than the NS side of the venture. I’m looking forward to hearing form the WA govt how they will will support the growth of our high school program.
How many current local clubs have any ventures/association with schools as far as junior RL goes?

Vlad59

Bench
Big difference is there is massive commitment from day 1 to produce our own players. It’s taken storm 20 plus years to finally get serious about that. I think within a few years if done right in WA we will probably produce more players than the NS side of the venture. I’m looking forward to hearing form the WA govt how they will will support the growth of our high school program.
Exactly. As you know when the Storm was formed there was no commitment to develop juniors outside nsw and qld

Perth Red

Post Whore
I dont think 8000 registered players in WA and 3,500 in NS is an impossible ten year target. That would put the Bears catchment area on par with current panthers for registered players.

it seems participation number X $’s invested in elite pathways = nrl first grade talent?

Vlad59

Bench
I dont think 8000 registered players in WA and 3,500 in NS is an impossible ten year target. That would put the Bears catchment area on par with current panthers for registered players.

it seems participation number X $’s invested in elite pathways = nrl first grade talent?
Penrith is a lot more than 3500. They have over 600 teams

Vlad59

Bench

Have a look at this

I need a life

Perth Red

Post Whore
How many current local clubs have any ventures/association with schools as far as junior RL goes?
The WA SHS scholarship program runs separately from the local clubs. Of course the aim is for those kids to also play for the local nrlwa clubs and stick with the game after leaving school.

It’s all relative though.

Clubs need strong commercial sustainability to have steady revenue streams and then those steady revenue streams can in turn be used to help fund pathways and development systems.

The more money, the more funding, the more funding, the more production, the more production, the better the pool to identify from.

The WA SHS scholarship program runs separately from the local clubs. Of course the aim is for those kids to also play for the local nrlwa clubs and stick with the game after leaving school.

They need to take a page out of Dolphins and East Tigers and have joint programs.

The way Tigers have put in place programs at rugby league schools of excellence is getting good results from a junior talent pool perspective.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s all relative though.

Clubs need strong commercial sustainability to have steady revenue streams and then those steady revenue streams can in turn be used to help fund pathways and development systems.

The more money, the more funding, the more funding, the more production, the more production, the better the pool to identify from.
Indeed! Will be interesting to see what directions the Western Bears go in in terms of revenue generation outside of football. Hopefully the club is financially profitable from day 1 and can invest the surplus in other revenue raising opportunitie. With no pokies in WA I’ll be interested to see what they do. Not sure what other clubs like Storm and Knights for example have done outside of pokie dens? I know sharks bought a golf club but that had pokies in it and recently a commercial property.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They need to take a page out of Dolphins and East Tigers and have joint programs.

The way Tigers have put in place programs at rugby league schools of excellence is getting good results from a junior talent pool perspective.
I’m sure with better resources the bears and nrlwa will look at it. It has been rumoured the wa govt is going to fund expansion of the shs Program. Issue for nrlwa clubs is they are pretty small fry without much resource at moment (no pokies) so dont have the capacity to be involved with schools. I’m sure there will be a schools link up with the Bears in same way Storm are now doing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd imagine they NRL side will get a grant from Norths.

The NRL side handles everything and gets a nominal fee from Norths
That is interesting, I assumed nsfc would continue to manage the Sydney side of pathways with funding from Norths. Do you think they will hand it all over to the Western Bears? The funding of the 4 positions did surprise me. Wouldnt that mean the disbanding of the nsfc board and as a seperate entity?

I was thinking of dolphins and Redcliffe but I guess that’s very different. Don’t think we have actually had a scenario like this before in rugby league?

Vlad59

Bench
Enjoy the games,
my club plays wigan in a massive game for us. Might stay up till 3am to watch it lol
Your mob are Having a great year. I’m too old to stay up past 10 these days. Perth Bears are on the bucket list though. I’ll bring a wheel chair :)

I’m sure with better resources the bears and nrlwa will look at it. It has been rumoured the wa govt is going to fund expansion of the shs Program. Issue for nrlwa clubs is they are pretty small fry without much resource at moment (no pokies) so dont have the capacity to be involved with schools. I’m sure there will be a schools link up with the Bears in same way Storm are now doing.

That’s the goal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Your mob are Having a great year. I’m too old to stay up past 10 these days. Perth Bears are on the bucket list though. I’ll bring a wheel chair :)
Haha there’ll be lots of coffee and rum involved! If Rovers and Storm win this year and Perth gets announced as back that’s it the good lord can take me a happy and contented man!

Centy Coast

Juniors
And their 2nd tier club finished 4th in QCup
1st in NSW Cup

Going back. That feeder arrangement got them
Smith, Slater and Cronk they weren't developed through Melbourne.

So if we are looking the same for Perth then locally will be slow. Good East coast links to get some future immortal hopefully and the side will be great.
Let’s not forget defending Hostplus Qld Cup Premiers the Brisbane Tigers are also a Storm feeder club but due to a horror run of injuries in 2024 finished in 11th position.