What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Perth Red

Post Whore
FB doesn't have the smartest people

NSW side in the future won't bring in anything for broadcasters. Bears management atleast know this
Tbf it is a pretty even balance between bears fans who can see that they will have to compromise and those who only want to see north Sydney bears with no brand change and playing half the games at nso.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Presuming WA has the financial consortium who can show decent $ backing and we have a solid starting fanbase then really the main thing, leaving aside the Sydney feel good bs, that bears offers our bid is jnrs.
We know that the nrl is super keen for new clubs to be able to develop talent to prevent dilution of the comps talent. WA could look to a number of established qlnd cup or nsw cup clubs to provide this without the baggage that seems to be coming with the bears. Hopefully we are talking to these second tier clubs as well as the bears.

It won’t be nrl clubs, it will be second tier clubs with jnr pathways he wants to see the link up with.
Bradley Report spoke of rationalising Sydney down to five clubs through relocation, merger or culling.

Adding another Sydney club to the NRL and relocating it to Perth was never part of the plan. If the ARLC does go through with it then they're defeating the purpose behind relocation.

Any relocation has to be of an existing NRL club in Sydney for it to have any benefit to the game.

jim_57

Staff member
You forgot Adelaide Bears, and Brisbane 2 Bears, and my personal favourite North Sydney Bears

Don’t forget “The Bears” playing home games all over NSW and/or the Australia. That was the latest one pre-Perth from memory.

jim_57

Staff member
From the Bears point of view you’d think it would make more sense to look at Christchurch. The NRL has floated the idea of NZ2 being #18 but no interested parties have publicly come forward from Christchurch.

Maybe they’re waiting for someone else to do the hard work of establishing a bid before they latch on? Surely not.

Iamback

Coach
Presuming WA has the financial consortium who can show decent $ backing and we have a solid starting fanbase then really the main thing, leaving aside the Sydney feel good bs, that bears offers our bid is jnrs.
We know that the nrl is super keen for new clubs to be able to develop talent to prevent dilution of the comps talent. WA could look to a number of established qlnd cup or nsw cup clubs to provide this without the baggage that seems to be coming with the bears. Hopefully we are talking to these second tier clubs as well as the bears.

It is too soon to lock anything in.
They would know what the NRL need to be considered for the comp.

For me all have their pros and cons. I'd have Nz2 in front because of junior pathways. It also can be linked to Pacific

Being linked with the Bears for me is a game changer because it adds 5-10k to Sydney games. Depending on reports 50-100k viewers on top of what Perth pulls.

Given likely is a weaker roster early on both are positives

Wb1234

Referee
I

didn’t say he didn’t include bears but if you read the original article rothfield clearly says a “couple of clubs”

bears are only best hope if it’s on the right terms or it will be basket case that will do more harm to the game here than not having a club,

10 games min in perth
brand change to represent it’s a WA club
majority ownership by wa consortium
financial contribution
license to stay in perth if relationship breaks down

otherwise we should take our chances on our own.
Rothfield said the wa govt met with vlandys and a couple of clubs. I took it to mean representatives of the roosters and south’s were there to hear about a Perth nrl bid

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bradley Report spoke of rationalising Sydney down to five clubs through relocation, merger or culling.

Adding another Sydney club to the NRL and relocating it to Perth was never part of the plan. If the ARLC does go through with it then they're defeating the purpose behind relocation.

Any relocation has to be of an existing NRL club in Sydney for it to have any benefit to the game.
They’re all coined, no one is moving anywhere

Colk

First Grade
You're such a bad faith agent who's always negative on everything NRL..

No, it’s being realistic in this case. There is no way that there will be another Sydney/NSW side and not should there be. The Bears and their supporters have to get it through their heads that this is the situation. They either accept a relocation outside of NSW (QLD as well) to get back in or they stay in NSW Cup. They are the choices

Menaiduck

Juniors
They’re all coined, no one is moving anywhere
And if done properly this proposal is not adding a Sydney club. It’s regaining some lost support in Sydney, utilising an ‘iconic’ emblem and adding a team in a new market that wants it and already has a good junior system in place. And money bloody everywhere!

Colk

First Grade
My bad. Fair enough.

In saying that the discussion probably went

‘are you interested in relocating to Perth for X amount of money’
‘No’
‘Thanks for your time’

They could have also just been talking to these clubs about what is needed to start a club - sponsors, annual turnover et al

It is too soon to lock anything in.
They would know what the NRL need to be considered for the comp.

For me all have their pros and cons. I'd have Nz2 in front because of junior pathways. It also can be linked to Pacific

Being linked with the Bears for me is a game changer because it adds 5-10k to Sydney games. Depending on reports 50-100k viewers on top of what Perth pulls.

Given likely is a weaker roster early on both are positives

How will The Bears generate an extra 5k to 10k attendees to matches in Sydney?

North Sydney's football club has just 1,500 registered members. That's great for a NSW Cup club, but it proves the amount of fanatical Bears fans is just 1.5k. If there were 220k like the Bears claim then they would be at NSO to see their team play.

It’s so refreshing seeing you arguing for

No wonder they were such a dud team with that
The expression on the bear in the North Sydney logo is one that just sat on a fireants nest. That's what happens when the home ground is a dilapidated cricket ground with hills and trees. He's been running from North Sydney to Gosford to Gold Coast and everywhere in NSW and now Perth for 23 years trying to find Dr Harry to put him out of his misery.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
The expression on the bear in the North Sydney logo is one that just sat on a fireants nest. That's what happens when the home ground is a dilapidated cricket ground with hills and trees. He's been running from North Sydney to Gosford to Gold Coast and everywhere in NSW and now Perth for 23 years trying to find Dr Harry to put him out of his misery.
Ngl this is really funny

he’s been in hibernation and now he’s found a new lair

Wb1234

Referee
How will The Bears generate an extra 5k to 10k attendees to matches in Sydney?

North Sydney's football club has just 1,500 registered members. That's great for a NSW Cup club, but it proves the amount of fanatical Bears fans is just 1.5k. If there were 220k like the Bears claim then they would be at NSO to see their team play.
3k to 10k is easily doable

especially at breookvale. And the games ar homebush and the new sfs are easy to get to for much of the north shore by train

Ngl this is really funny

he’s been in hibernation and now he’s found a new lair
The bear has gone mad from the pain and needs confinement in a loony bin.

3k to 10k is easily doable

especially at breookvale. And the games ar homebush and the new sfs are easy to get to for much of the north shore by train
Will North Sydney's remaining fans support The Bears if they're based interstate under the banner of Perth, Western, West Coast or Western Australia?

I'm not sure they will.

Last edited: