What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Iamback

Coach
Surely the main aim is growing the game, and expanding the player base, expanding fan base etc.

Appealing to Silicon Valley streamers is a "nice to have" but desperately unrealistic at this point of our games lifespan.

PNG has RL as the sport as the national sport.
It is compulsory to play it in school
Has 10m people with no other professional sport or team

If it wasn't a 3rd world country it would be a no brainer to have them in.

So it is more than that provided they get it to a standard which I guess is where the govt money comes in

Wb1234

Referee
PNG has RL as the sport as the national sport.
It is compulsory to play it in school
Has 10m people with no other professional sport or team

If it wasn't a 3rd world country it would be a no brainer to have them in.

So it is more than that provided they get it to a standard which I guess is where the govt money comes in
*17 million

Bukowski

Juniors
I just saw someone posted the article on the norths fan page 'the den'
A whopping 15 people made comment, huge reaction, but the interesting bit is 4 of the comments were against going to Perth.
Even they arnt united about it.

Iamback

Coach
Where the f**k did you come up with this bullshit?

I will find the article that said it was compulsory

but here is on saying about 30 schools playing in a comp from 2021.

How many schools in Perth play RL again?

Same to with Christchurch but this thread is about Perth

Attachments

• IMG_2838.png
    IMG_2838.png
    232.2 KB · Views: 2

Canard

Immortal
I will find the article that said it was compulsory

but here is on saying about 30 schools playing in a comp from 2021.

How many schools in Perth play RL again?

Same to with Christchurch but this thread is about Perth
Mate more than half the school age kids don't even consider school to be "compulsory".

Iamback

Coach
Mate more than half the school age kids don't even consider school to be "compulsory".

I get that but again Perth has 0 schools playing footy.

So even with those 30 schools only playing the game. There is 1000 kids atleast

That is before ramping it up for an NRL side coming in.

So while there is no doubt Perth's corporate support is there. The rest is why this Bears is even being mentioned

Canard

Immortal
I get that but again Perth has 0 schools playing footy.

So even with those 30 schools only playing the game. There is 1000 kids atleast

That is before ramping it up for an NRL side coming in.

So while there is no doubt Perth's corporate support is there. The rest is why this Bears is even being mentioned
Seems like a good opportunity to start some sort of junior development in a prosperous area of the country.

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
It says a 2 City team
And that is what is alarming. I, like many in Perth will back the Bears if (and only if) they commit to Perth. Being a "2 city team" is not that, it's taking advantage of Perth. It will lead to an identity crisis, fan alienation or disengagement.
Glaringly, it handicaps the players with an incomparable travel burden.
It makes it a harder sell to the WA public to fund stage 2 of the HBF Park redevelopment.

Dickson's comment about the Perth Bears being a "two city team" has made the proposal a much harder sell. A parochial state like Western Australia will not accept a "two city team". Western Australians believe the east coast treats them like second class citizens. V'landys and Dickson are reinforcing their view.

Everything I've said over the last year about Perth being too small and too fixated with fumbleball to support an NRL team of its own has been validated by the ARLC's reluctance to accept a stand-alone bid. I was called insane for not blindly endorsing Perth as the 18th licence. Looks like I was right and the scoffers were wrong.

Latest posts