What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Save me some surfing braincells GROT-D but how does that measure up regarding number and participation of anyone involved in the game over there including spectators compared with say Ipswich, Central Coast North Sydney.
Something tells me that those 28 clubs wouldn't hold up if there wasn't a money being thrown around, I don't think that would be a prob.
The game is suited for TV, providing they could attract some big crowds and there was enough quality players to spread around 18 clubs then a slow build may work.
Atm clubs are struggling to fill a roster with several marquee players to keep the scorelines close. The more clubs means the need for bigger and better Nurseries. Even with that, poor club management can still stuff it up eg WT and the Macarthur region, they should be title contenders by now. 🤪
There's about 4,100 registered players in WA. TV ratings for RL in Perth is 8,000 for regular season games on FTA.

He shouldn’t have called you a racist but he’s a good egg

and well aware of what you posted above some have carried over to the wanderers

If he thinks Perth has no chance without the Bears then how can I take him seriously when he advocates for Adelaide, Melbourne 2 and Port Moresby?

Perth is lightyears ahead of those candidates.

Wb1234

Referee
Save me some surfing braincells GROT-D but how does that measure up regarding number and participation of anyone involved in the game over there including spectators compared with say Ipswich, Central Coast North Sydney.
Something tells me that those 28 clubs wouldn't hold up if there wasn't a money being thrown around, I don't think that would be a prob.
The game is suited for TV, providing they could attract some big crowds and there was enough quality players to spread around 18 clubs then a slow build may work.
Atm clubs are struggling to fill a roster with several marquee players to keep the scorelines close. The more clubs means the need for bigger and better Nurseries. Even with that, poor club management can still stuff it up eg WT and the Macarthur region, they should be title contenders by now. 🤪
Wa govt has started a pilot program in six schools

They have also said they will spend millions on juniors

After the reds died off junior numbers collapsed

It has potential but would need at least ten years

Centy Coast

Juniors
Fan response to the PNG proposal and Perth Bears has been extremely negative.
Depends where you have been looking, if you get on any of the Bears pages 99.9% are stoked, if you get on any of the WA pages 98% are happy just to have a NRL team, some are cautious like Perth Red but as the team is WA based and a WA entity everything should come together.
Just need an official WA/Bears announcement, then wait until October for official NRL confirmation as the 18th team (fingers crossed).
Then full steam ahead for coach/players recruitment, they need to be strategic, and really think about the players they sign.
My go to players would be Nicho Hynes as he has family in WA and the Saifiti brothers Daniel and Jacob, you can’t beat an experienced half or front rowers, the boys will be 31 in 2027.
Royce Hunt (WA lad), Josh Rogers (WA lad), Jacob Preston (former Bears pathways player), Kaeo Weekes (Bears juniors), Jesse Marschke (former Bears NSW Cup Captain), Josh King (close to Saifiti Bros), Bradman Best (close to Nicho and Saifiti Bros), Connor Watson (close to Saifiti Bros and Marschke)
Young Parra hooker Matt Arthur especially if his Dad is Coaching, his other son Jakob can stay at Manly lol.
Perth will need a close playing group as they will be away from family on the East Coast and you will need players who like living near the Ocean.
Yes I am getting ahead of myself but it’s good to dream/speculate.
The Dolphins started with a ageing roster the Bromwich Bros, Ray Stone, Mark Nichols, Felise Kaufusi, Brenko Lee etc.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
But its the pathway to remerge with Brisbane Tigers
The assumptions that...

* A newly de-merged Balmain will want to move to Brisbane, let alone jump into another JV & link with Brisbane Easts.

And/or

* The NRL will require this from a newly de-merged Balmain (even if it's not their preferred option).

And/or

* Brisbane Easts will be keen on such a merger.

Takes a huge leap of faith. Frankly I find it takes a huge suspension of disbelief.

RedVee

First Grade
The NSL was closed down due to racism from fans of Croatian-based clubs.

A year or two ago a Croatian-themed called Sydney United made the FFA Australia Cup final. Eight of its fans made fascist salutes.

Sydney United 58 FC have been fined $15,000 and face possible bans from future competitions after a Football Australia investigation found fans behaved in a “deeply offensive” manner at last month’s Australia Cup final.​
The first second-tier outfit to reach the competition’s decider, United faced immediate public scrutiny after some fans chanted songs with fascist links, booed during the Welcome To Country and performed Nazi salutes during the 2-0 loss to A-League Men side Macarthur FC.​
Eight fans of United, formerly known as Sydney Croatia, were thrown out of CommBank Stadium on 1 October, with FA later banning two for life for performing fascist salutes.​
I suggest that racist activity was not solely from one teams supporter base during the life of the NSA.
However it was intolerable no matter whence it eminated.