What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

flippikat

Bench
Itll be Perth bears png and chch

bank it
It sure looks like that's the NRL's preference.

Perth Bears is a no-brainer - solves two issues from the war/peace settlement in one move (loss of Perth & loss of a foundation club), no competing WA bids, new timeslot etc etc.

PNG has great appeal to the NRL thanks to the Government money gravy-train, even if the logistics are ridiculous.

NZ 2 has it over another Brisbane/SEQ side because it's new territory, helps with timeslots, great lookiong stadium being built, PLUS it's easier on the NRL to just piss-off the Warriors than it is to piss-off the Broncos, Dolphins & Titans - and getting the clubs' ok is an important step.

In this phase, nowhere else is ready.

Western Reds will play 11 out of 12 home games in Perth, with one being at North Sydney Oval, with I assume the reserve grade team playing out in Sydney to start off with?

With the Bears name, it will have no affiliation with the Reds two decades ago, and will be a completley new team. Like Gold Coast Titans having no ties with the Seagulls/Giants/Chargers team. Starting "fresh".

Centy Coast

Juniors
They literally have only formed an entity that can now submit a bid with 10 others...
f**king " news" papers.
The hardest part was having the WA consortium and the Bears hierarchy reach an agreement and sign off on it.
The NRL has been heavily involved in this, if they didn’t want it to happen they wouldn’t have moved mountains to make this happen.

Nuke

Staff member
And for the record, despite the 'Western' being there to reference the Western Reds, and 'Bears' being there due to North Sydney Bears involvement, I really hope the Western Bears are officially a brand new club and is acknowledged as such. No previous history.

Just as the Gold Coast Titans started in 2007, not 1988.

Nuke

Staff member
Only the mention that the logo will be an adaption of the current Bears logo.

I'd guess it'd have the introduction of gold and the name 'Western', but I'm hoping it'll also be sans-shield and also a simplification of the Bears head emblem. The current one has far too much fine detail for the modern sporting landscape.

Nuke

Staff member
They are. They are getting their brand back in the NRL, something they've felt entitled to for nearly a quarter of a century. And they're getting NRL games at NSO.

Last edited:

Nuke

Staff member
The guy behind Westfence is a mate of mine, former Joondalup Giants player, graphic designer, and has in years gone by been on Canterbury's graphics team and went on to work at the NRL, being a part of the team who came up with the current Telstra Premiership badges. He left the NRL years ago, but it's nice to see his work pop up from time-to-time.