What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Interesting interview here with WA NRL expert Jason ….i recommend a listen…

Old mate’s been spruiking stuff on this forum for a decade plus. Half the time it’s rambles.

Nuke, now there’s a bloke I’d be keen to listen to as he has first hand experience with rugby league in WA - beyond being just a fan.

Wb1234

Immortal
Funny but just remember that the big commercial and IP lawyers in this country live in Sydney, not Perth.

The recent ramblings out of Balmain/Wests should be a lesson. Maybe 20% of the implications of such talks were reported onthe other 80% where NRL/ARLC pulled both their ears and dragged them into the dunce corner wasn’t.

Anything that makes the overall game and controlling/authority bodies look weak or seem like they’ve taken a loss ie. Having a club within their governance self implode and bringing bad headlines like a de-merger, won’t be tolerated.

Commercial strength and reputation is everything.
To be fair Balmain people allege someone from Holman Barnes approached the arlc about bringing back the magpie

Nuke

Staff member
Personally, I've always disliked generic compass points as a team's 'location'. 'Southern' Pride, 'Wests' Tigers, ect.
South Sydney, North Queensland, ect, to me, are fine, as they still specify where they're located and who they represent.

Personally, I've always disliked generic compass points as a team's 'location'. 'Southern' Pride, 'Wests' Tigers, ect.
South Sydney, North Queensland, ect, to me, are fine, as they still specify where they're located and who they represent.
There’s a fair distance between Mackay, Townsville, Cairns, Mt Isa and Weipa. I get the North Queensland name but let’s not act like they aren’t a Townsville team through and through.

If they didn’t have a recent disagreement with Blackhawks then they would still treat Northern Pride and Mackay Cutters like their disliked distant cousins. This is coming from someone who lived in Cairns at one stage and had a little to do with Pride and the local comp there.

In saying all that I am happy Pride and Cutters are getting better resources from Cowboys this season. It’s been great to watch.

Bukowski

Juniors
Funny but just remember that the big commercial and IP lawyers in this country live in Sydney, not Perth.

The recent ramblings out of Balmain/Wests should be a lesson. Maybe 20% of the implications of such talks were reported onthe other 80% where NRL/ARLC pulled both their ears and dragged them into the dunce corner wasn’t.

Anything that makes the overall game and controlling/authority bodies look weak or seem like they’ve taken a loss ie. Having a club within their governance self implode and bringing bad headlines like a de-merger, won’t be tolerated.

Commercial strength and reputation is everything.
Well let's hope Norths used a Sydney lawyer and Perth didn't.

Well let's hope Norths used a Sydney lawyer and Perth didn't.
Doesn’t matter who North Sydney used. It’s who the NRL & ARLC use.

Again, it’s about them saving face and looking strong. De-merging clubs or clubs radically rebranding due to failures on their watch is corporate and commercial weakness.

It puts fans, stakeholders & corporate partners off and devalues the overall game, commercially.

If a merge or relocated club looks like reverting I guarantee you the NRL will take emergency, short term ownership of that franchise.

Exactly like they did with Titans about a decade ago.

So if the Western Bears ever look shaky, what will happen is that the NRL will kick out the failed owners, take control of the club and then find new owners for the club. Hypothetically, new owners could all be ex-North Sydney corporates but the club would still need to be located in and operating from WA regardless.

In short - Western Bears stay in WA no matter who is running the club.
Western Bears stay as the Bears brand no mater who is running the club.

Last edited:

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Re: Dolphins, they are the same organisation, it isn't separate. It's just ego and political bullshit from the governing bodies that are preventing an old QRL brand's history to be recognised the same way the old NSWRL brands' histories are.
It doesn’t matter the reason behind it. What matters is what is.

Dolphins NRL club represents a wider area than what the Redcliffe Dolphins do in the QLD cup. Redcliffe are now just a feeder to the Dolphins NRL franchise. Same as Burleigh is a feeder to the Broncos.

End of.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
So why does the NSWRL still exist if it was a name change?

The BRL and NSWRL comps were first grade comps right up until 1994. Do we dispute this? I hope we don't because it's a fact.

With this fact in mind what's the difference between acknowledging the 1921 premiership of the Bears, and the 1965 premiership of the Dolphins?

The NRL is a national body who is supposed to be representing the whole country and are happy to lean on historical Brisbane brands to help strengthen their expansion efforts, but not go as far as honouring that same club's first grade history like they do every other club that existed pre 1995.
Oi whinge arse. I told you it’s not worth the energy.

Go look at what the NRL recognises and what it doesn’t. You being butthurt about it doesn’t matter.

Nuke

Staff member
There’s a fair distance between Mackay, Townsville, Cairns, Mt Isa and Weipa. I get the North Queensland name but let’s not act like they aren’t a Townsville team through and through.
Yeah, of course they're Townsville. 100%.
But I'm not against having a name that represents a wider region.

If some tourist who has never been to Australia and done zero research into the place before arriving here arrives at Sydney airport and sees a game between North Queensland and South Sydney, he can dig out a map and find Queensland on it and correctly summise that one of the teams is from the north of that state, likewise the other team can safely be presumed to be from the southern portion of the city of Sydney. Queensland and Sydney can be found on a map.

If, instead, in a few years he arrives and sees Western vs Wests, he's not going to have any clue as to where to look. West... what? Western... where? They could pretty much be from absolutely anywhere on the planet.

Yes, Google can answer it in a flash, but I think you would see the point I'm making here.

wb2027

Juniors
Yeah, of course they're Townsville. 100%.
But I'm not against having a name that represents a wider region.

If some tourist who has never been to Australia and done zero research into the place before arriving here arrives at Sydney airport and sees a game between North Queensland and South Sydney, he can dig out a map and find Queensland on it and correctly summise that one of the teams is from the north of that state, likewise the other team can safely be presumed to be from the southern portion of the city of Sydney. Queensland and Sydney can be found on a map.

If, instead, in a few years he arrives and sees Western vs Wests, he's not going to have any clue as to where to look. West... what? Western... where? They could pretty much be from absolutely anywhere on the planet.

Yes, Google can answer it in a flash, but I think you would see the point I'm making here.

I think Wests are far more guilty of confusing this hypothetical tourist in this case. At least Western is the first word in Western Australia. If Wests were Western Sydney that would fix it.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I think Wests are far more guilty of confusing this hypothetical tourist in this case. At least Western is the first word in Western Australia. If Wests were Western Sydney that would fix it.

Wests have been around 120 years ..I dont see them changing …

As far as problems around expansion … this one is very far down the list IMO