What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Bukowski

Bench
Not really, its a WA owned club with a 15% stake bought by a company that can add a great deal of prof sporting club and marketing nous. There is an optic at play that the WA consortium very much need this to be seen as a WA club.
You don't think buying a 15% stake wouldn't normally get you a seat on the board?

I remember Paul kind he’s a very good operator. Having a sports marketing company is great for the club and the code

just on his bid to buy half the dragons for ten million he’s dreaming it sold for multiples of that
He also got sacked by the NRL for conflict of interest if I’m not mistaken. Didn’t do anything wrong. Just stating a fact.

Not really, it’s a WA owned club with a 15% stake bought by a company that can add a great deal of prof sporting club and marketing nous. There is an optic at play that the WA consortium very much need this to be seen as a WA club.
15% stake bought by Sydney business men. So it’s 85% WA owned if you want to get technical. Although the nuts and bolts of that can change. 100% WA operated though, that’s key.

Their track record with the Kings, if they can bring some of that to the Western Bears I'll be happy!

Average attendance grew 208 per cent from 2017 to 2024,
membership 290 per cent
sponsorship revenue by a whopping 491 per cent.
It also created Hoops Capital, a basketball business that fostered junior talent and streetball.
turned the perennial National Basketball League underachievers into champions again, winning the title in 2020, 2022 and 2023.
Definitely can’t fault their business acumen. Cumins is also being a sound operator by reaching beyond one hub for a club that will have a multi-located supporter base.

What article are we talking about? Cummins has said all along that they were looking at investors from interstate.
His stance has changed and evolved over time. Not a knock on him, that’s just reality of the commercial world. At the very least he doesn’t have a big ego and can see opportunities as they present themselves to him. Thumbs up from me.

Strange that one side has no seats on the board. Maybe adoption is a better name
Who is on the board on day one will change by year 3, 5, 8 etc. Eventually there will be Bears board members on the Western Bears board. It probably won’t come in the form of any current Norths board members though and that’s ok.

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
Less chance of boardroom clashes. Balmain and wests are still clashing after 25 seasons. A united board will give them a better chance of success.

Balmain only own 10 percent of WT, so look out for this guy owning 15 percent …

I doubt the Sydney media will be as keen to write about it though ..

BuffaloRules

Coach
Who is on the board on day one will change by year 3, 5, 8 etc. Eventfully there will be Bears board members on the Western Bears board. It probably won’t come in the form of any current Norths board members though and that’s ok.

No … they won’t be opening up any Wests / Balmain drama .., they have enough problems to deal with in Perth

Perth Red

Post Whore
Balmain only own 10 percent of WT, so look out for this guy owning 15 percent …

I doubt the Sydney media will be as keen to write about it though ..
Many clubs are owned by consortiums/multiple investors these days. Its not the same as self interested clubs with old rivalries trying to get along! Investors want a return so are committed to making it work as well as possible.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We had our wires crossed. I get no problem with their 15% stake and seat. I welcome it.
Me too, more start up money is always good and they bring a wealth of experience in sports business. They have a good track record.
There was criticism earlier from the usual suspects that the Perth consortium had never run a prof sports club before, this helps fill that gap. The more we hear, the stronger the Western Bears bid looks. Looking forward to some official Govt announcements off the back of the license decision next!

BuffaloRules

Coach
Many clubs are owned by consortiums/multiple investors these days. Its not the same as self interested clubs with old rivalries trying to get along! Investors want a return so are committed to making it work as well as possible.

Everyone is self interested …as this guy will be

Perth Red

Post Whore
Everyone is self interested …as this guy will be
Difference is guys like this are self interested in ROI and want the club to be the best and biggest and richest it can be. When you have two rival clubs on a board the self interest is about their egos and control, not about the success of the joint venture. We've seen it too many times. Not having NS on the board is a good move for a variety of reasons. The legal agreements should protect them and their role in this.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Difference is guys like this are self interested in ROI and want the club to be the best and biggest and richest it can be. When you have two rival clubs on a board the self interest is about their egos and control, not about the success of the joint venture. We've seen it too many times. Not having NS on the board is a good move for a variety of reasons. The legal agreements should protect them and their role in this.

I thought the biggest thing about this team should be growing the game in WA … it’s not going to be easy and there will be some tough times ahead … especially after the novelty wears off,,,

sometimes decisions might be required which may not make the most money sense , but might be the best for growing the team in Perth in the medium term … old mate from Sydney might not want to prioritise that

wb2027

Juniors
Jim Jeffires said he was only trying to buy in for 3%.
Not sure if the buy-in is ridiculously high, he's not as willing to put his money where his mouth is, or if he's just not as rich as a celebrity of his stature should be.

Less chance of it going off the rails with norths not having board seats I guess. I can't fault him at the moment, PNG will be the test.
I think P.N.G. is going to shock all of us with the magnitude and audacity of its` bid.
I was a sceptic, but the more the way I see the ARLC operating with PVL at the helm the more I think that the PNG bid is going to be massive. We have to remember New Guinea really want this to work as well you know.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I think P.N.G. is going to shock all of us with the magnitude and audacity of its` bid.
I was a sceptic, but the more the way I see the ARLC operating with PVL at the helm the more I think that the PNG bid is going to be massive. We have to remember New Guinea really want this to work as well you know.

i hope it works and they are a powerhouse on the field and a factory producing a ton of players for the whole league off it ..

I would have liked to have seen them produce more born and bred NRL talent then they have previously though …. That’s not just something you can turn on like a tap …. Is going to take some years and a lot of money…

Perth Red

Post Whore
Jim Jeffires said he was only trying to buy in for 3%.
Not sure if the buy-in is ridiculously high, he's not as willing to put his money where his mouth is, or if he's just not as rich as a celebrity of his stature should be.
Maybe they were courting different investors but only wanting to sell a certain % of ownership, not unusual. The best bid gets the deal. Like dragons den.

Bukowski

Bench
I'll be happy to be shocked, if successful it will be huge for the game.

Latest posts