What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
You're hung up on the fact that there are AFL clubs in my surrounding suburbs aren't you champ. Doesn't make your beloved game or Lions popular here
Not at all bud, I’m not threatened by another sport and feel the need to attack them or the fellow people in the city I live in that might like it more than RL. How insecure can you be? You barely know your own surroundings which if you did you would easily be able to identify popularity of sports a, b or c by understanding clubs, fields and participation of said sports and clubs in your surroundings. Not hard to grasp. Instead continue being threatened and insecure.

Anyways as I asked does your lot still train at Langlands Annex Fields in Stones Corner? I have 2 Brasilians and 3 Colombians employees who would be interested in at least reaching out. They like league but wouldn’t know where to start as far playing, if they wanted to. The notion of joining a BRL club isn’t appealing them. I wouldn’t mind coming down and seeing your lot train either.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Not at all bud, I’m not threatened by another sport and feel the need to attack them or the fellow people in the city I live in that might like it more than RL. How insecure can you be? You barely know your own surroundings which if you did you would easily be able to identify popularity of sports a, b or c by understanding clubs, fields and participation of said sports and clubs in your surroundings. Not hard to grasp. Instead continue being threatened and insecure.

Anyways as I asked does your lot still train at Langlands Annex Fields in Stones Corner? I have 2 Brasilians and 3 Colombians employees who would be interested in at least reaching out. They like league but wouldn’t know where to start as far playing, if they wanted to. The notion of joining a BRL club isn’t appealing them. I wouldn’t mind coming down and seeing your lot train either.
Sounding out someone's personal life on an open thread is appalling. You could have invited him for a chat about such things in privacy but that wasn't the point was it.
Piece of shit.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Sounding out someone's personal life on an open thread is appalling. You could have invited him for a chat about such things in privacy but that wasn't the point was it.
Piece of shit.

Considering his avatar is what I’m asking about it’s not exactly private is it? He is quite literally promoting the very thing I’ve enquired about which is outside of the debate and just so happens to be something that is promoting the growth of rugby league via Latino/South American rugby league participation.

Maybe try to better understand what the f**k you’re actually arguing or talking about. Seems you have a problem with this and it’s a trend now. Your incorrect stubborn opinions on NRL expansion (who is next in line and favourite, how other sports in certain locations are supported and now this).

Last edited:

RedVee

First Grade
Considering his avatar is what I’m asking about it’s not exactly private is it? He is quite literally promoting the very thing I’ve enquired about which is outside of the debate and just so happens to be something that is promoting the growth of rugby league via Latino/South American rugby league participation.

Maybe try to better understand what the f**k you’re actually arguing or talking about. Seems you have a problem with this and it’s a trend now. Your incorrect stubborn opinions on NRL expansion (who is next in line and favourite, how other sports in certain locations are supported and now this).
I think they just mean you should reach out to him via PM re the Latin Heat for your colleagues

Vlad59

Bench

You are a piece of shit

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
This is a thread about the Western Bears blah blah blah.

Or does staying on topic only apply to others and not yourself?
No of course not but these muppets could have contained it to one thread and not chased people around multiple threads bringing up nonsense and flaming. Neither of them needed to reply to posts that weren’t for them. Instead they chose to directly interject themselves.

As I’ve told you. Some of us have genuine interest in Western Bears, a few even have insight into the bid and post tidbits as they become known, and some of you just like to bring up nonsense no matter what the thread is.

Vlad59

Bench
No of course not but these muppets could have contained it to one thread and not chased people around multiple threads bringing up flaming. Neither of them needed to reply to posts that weren’t for them.

As I’ve told you. Some of us have genuine interest in Western Bears and some of you just like to bring up nonsense no matter what the thread is.
You big sook. You’ve used this thread to throw personal insults on endless occasions. I suppose that comes from supporting a club that is a parasite with a rancid culture.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Piece of shit.
Damn right!

People should be able to anything they want in here free of any consequence!

Perth Red

Post Whore
yawn, back the Western Bears

The timing could not have been more serendipitous for aspiring NRL franchise, the Western Bears. A grand final clash of two AFL heritage brands from non-heartland cities – one relocated (Swans), one merged in a new city (Lions).

It smashed TV ratings for Channel Seven and was the highest streaming game ever of AFL. The equivalent ratings bonanza for the NRL would be Storm versus the Bears and it is a near certainty according to media signalling that sometime late next week, the Western Bears, designed by Peter V’landys as a streaming revenue bonanza, will be admitted to the competition in 2027.

The new franchise simply must follow the pathway forged by the Swans and Lions. It has to – the coveted timeslot allows a variety of games to be broadcast live to eastern states and New Zealand on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.
The country will be saturated with live Western Bears games in prime time, so there is a necessity for them to be competitive and liked ASAP. This critical element was a major driver for the ARLC’s ‘encouragement’ of the partnership between the Bears and WA bid consortium.

It will take a decade at least before an academy program replicating east coast AFL models produce local talent in numbers through the pipeline. Unlike AFL, the team can’t be gifted additional first-round draft picks in the early years. There will be a heavy lean on North Sydney pathway programs, including their strong NSW Cup team, through the early years.

WA ownership, and the hosting of all but one home game, were two critical components in securing bid support and acceptance of a non-WA origin brand. A splash of state yellow will be added to the traditional Bears red, black and white jersey colours for home games, to recognise the WA Government’s involvement, while providing a familiar echo to WA teams of the past.

The next hurdle is to reconnect with the Bears faithful. V’landys has championed this franchise formation and must ensure there are sufficient checks and balances to ensure his vision is fulfilled. It is critical that the board and CEO are astutely selected.

The ARLC will insist on input on board positions and CEO selection to ensure this happens – people familiar with how the Swans and Lions manage both their home and historic markets.
Two names instantly come to mind for the Western Bears – West Australian Miles Baron-Hay was CEO of the Swans under Richard Colless, who crafted a connection and narrative linking the new city to the heritage of the Swans that has seen them become the most-watched sporting brand on TV of the major codes. They achieved this via maintaining a familiar logo, jersey and rhetoric which engaged and connected with South Melbourne fans.

Through such signalling, Sydney fans became aware of and embraced the history, proud to be associated with a now-150-year-old club; all the cheers, tears and blood. If not in day-to-day roles, as consultants they would be invaluable.

An ARLC commissioner or NRL executive on the board would also be a strategic steering asset in place. Though not forced to as part of the agreement, a North Sydney Bears Board member like Tony Crawford, former CFO of the NRL, would add credibility and balance.

The NRL should also assist monetarily, if need be, to secure the best culture-creating coaching staff. The Dolphins have created a template to follow.

The AFL realised earlier than the NRL that historic brands have a gritty cache no shiny new brand can compete with. It takes generations to build rusted on support. Bears fans on average are in their 40s. They were the kids, teens, 20 somethings screaming for the likes of Greg Florimo, Billy Moore, Gary Larson, David Fairleigh and Peter Jackson in the successful ’90s era.

The North Sydney Bears membership database and the crowd demographic at the NSW Cup grand finals in 2023 and 2024 dispel the myth that Bears fans are dying out. These 40-somethings are just the next wave in a multi-generational base, as all foundation and heritage clubs in either code have.

The Bears’ key demographic is in the prime income years – ripe for family memberships, game attendance, merchandise and, of supreme importance, digital streaming services.

We live in a digital age of entertainment – rugby league, while a sport, sits wholly within the entertainment industry. Live attendance is a dwindling revenue source compared with streaming rights as the likes of Amazon loom with deep pockets.

The NRL is now surpassing AFL in this revenue component and are poised for a revenue bonanza – the game was able to survive during COVID without any fans and focused on its broadcast value over attendance. The NRL’s place in the market is so largely digital that you can support any club from anywhere in the world as much as you want without ever setting foot in a stadium, and provide over 70 per cent of the game’s revenue in doing so.

This percentage will only increase. In a few years as the free-to-air and even Foxtel models diminish, Amazon could hold all match broadcast rights and stream around the world to various markets like the US as a cheap add-on package – hence the yearly Las Vegas brand awareness creation experiment.

The Western Bears blueprint provides a local team for a non-heartland market, packaged with a familiar, revenue raising brand for prime-time – but it will only achieve the revenue targets needed to help hook an Amazon if it looks like and sounds like ‘the Bears.’ We’ll soon get a sense if they’ve hit the target.

Vlad59

Bench
yawn, back the Western Bears

The timing could not have been more serendipitous for aspiring NRL franchise, the Western Bears. A grand final clash of two AFL heritage brands from non-heartland cities – one relocated (Swans), one merged in a new city (Lions).

It smashed TV ratings for Channel Seven and was the highest streaming game ever of AFL. The equivalent ratings bonanza for the NRL would be Storm versus the Bears and it is a near certainty according to media signalling that sometime late next week, the Western Bears, designed by Peter V’landys as a streaming revenue bonanza, will be admitted to the competition in 2027.

The new franchise simply must follow the pathway forged by the Swans and Lions. It has to – the coveted timeslot allows a variety of games to be broadcast live to eastern states and New Zealand on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.
The country will be saturated with live Western Bears games in prime time, so there is a necessity for them to be competitive and liked ASAP. This critical element was a major driver for the ARLC’s ‘encouragement’ of the partnership between the Bears and WA bid consortium.

It will take a decade at least before an academy program replicating east coast AFL models produce local talent in numbers through the pipeline. Unlike AFL, the team can’t be gifted additional first-round draft picks in the early years. There will be a heavy lean on North Sydney pathway programs, including their strong NSW Cup team, through the early years.

WA ownership, and the hosting of all but one home game, were two critical components in securing bid support and acceptance of a non-WA origin brand. A splash of state yellow will be added to the traditional Bears red, black and white jersey colours for home games, to recognise the WA Government’s involvement, while providing a familiar echo to WA teams of the past.

The next hurdle is to reconnect with the Bears faithful. V’landys has championed this franchise formation and must ensure there are sufficient checks and balances to ensure his vision is fulfilled. It is critical that the board and CEO are astutely selected.

The ARLC will insist on input on board positions and CEO selection to ensure this happens – people familiar with how the Swans and Lions manage both their home and historic markets.
Two names instantly come to mind for the Western Bears – West Australian Miles Baron-Hay was CEO of the Swans under Richard Colless, who crafted a connection and narrative linking the new city to the heritage of the Swans that has seen them become the most-watched sporting brand on TV of the major codes. They achieved this via maintaining a familiar logo, jersey and rhetoric which engaged and connected with South Melbourne fans.

Through such signalling, Sydney fans became aware of and embraced the history, proud to be associated with a now-150-year-old club; all the cheers, tears and blood. If not in day-to-day roles, as consultants they would be invaluable.

An ARLC commissioner or NRL executive on the board would also be a strategic steering asset in place. Though not forced to as part of the agreement, a North Sydney Bears Board member like Tony Crawford, former CFO of the NRL, would add credibility and balance.

The NRL should also assist monetarily, if need be, to secure the best culture-creating coaching staff. The Dolphins have created a template to follow.

The AFL realised earlier than the NRL that historic brands have a gritty cache no shiny new brand can compete with. It takes generations to build rusted on support. Bears fans on average are in their 40s. They were the kids, teens, 20 somethings screaming for the likes of Greg Florimo, Billy Moore, Gary Larson, David Fairleigh and Peter Jackson in the successful ’90s era.

The North Sydney Bears membership database and the crowd demographic at the NSW Cup grand finals in 2023 and 2024 dispel the myth that Bears fans are dying out. These 40-somethings are just the next wave in a multi-generational base, as all foundation and heritage clubs in either code have.

The Bears’ key demographic is in the prime income years – ripe for family memberships, game attendance, merchandise and, of supreme importance, digital streaming services.

We live in a digital age of entertainment – rugby league, while a sport, sits wholly within the entertainment industry. Live attendance is a dwindling revenue source compared with streaming rights as the likes of Amazon loom with deep pockets.

The NRL is now surpassing AFL in this revenue component and are poised for a revenue bonanza – the game was able to survive during COVID without any fans and focused on its broadcast value over attendance. The NRL’s place in the market is so largely digital that you can support any club from anywhere in the world as much as you want without ever setting foot in a stadium, and provide over 70 per cent of the game’s revenue in doing so.

This percentage will only increase. In a few years as the free-to-air and even Foxtel models diminish, Amazon could hold all match broadcast rights and stream around the world to various markets like the US as a cheap add-on package – hence the yearly Las Vegas brand awareness creation experiment.

The Western Bears blueprint provides a local team for a non-heartland market, packaged with a familiar, revenue raising brand for prime-time – but it will only achieve the revenue targets needed to help hook an Amazon if it looks like and sounds like ‘the Bears.’ We’ll soon get a sense if they’ve hit the target.

Fug me that’s a good article

Latest posts