What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Perth Red

Post Whore
You really do seem to have this arse up, the board rep is on the North Sydney Bears` board, maybe the problem lies there.
Why would the ARLC insist on a NS board rep, and why leave it this late to let the bid know that?
They've had months of negotiations with the two parties. Surely the time to raise the ARLC's preferred constitutional make up of the club was before the bid went in?

Why would the ARLC insist on a NS board rep, and why leave it this late to let the bid know that?
They've had months of negotiations with the two parties. Surely the time to raise the ARLC's preferred constitutional make up of the club was before the bids went in?
They didn`t let them know, some bloke was made to step aside and some ARLC associated bloke who was considered very reliable and competent was installed. That is certainly strange and especially since it happened so late.

Marlins

Juniors
The NRL are desperate to get a bigger tv deal and attempt to squeeze as much as they can out of nine & Fox. If the broadcasters are reluctant on paying for additional games it’s a hard sell to the existing clubs. Someone’s gotta pay for it.
The Aus gov is paying for the png bid and the clubs are financially better off, easy sell.
If this truly is the case I honestly can’t see NzII happening. East Brisbane might be looking more likely. As for The Frankenstein bid that is the western bears, it seems they will have too cough up some more money up front to potentially cover the cost if they NRL can’t get the tv monies required to support expansion. It will be interesting to see what Fox/kayo/foxtel do in the near future and if Nine/Stan really want to be a serious streaming contender.

Bukowski

Bench
The NRL are desperate to get a bigger tv deal and attempt to squeeze as much as they can out of nine & Fox. If the broadcasters are reluctant on paying for additional games it’s a hard sell to the existing clubs. Someone’s gotta pay for it.
The Aus gov is paying for the png bid and the clubs are financially better off, easy sell.
If this truly is the case I honestly can’t see NzII happening. East Brisbane might be looking more likely. As for The Frankenstein bid that is the western bears, it seems they will have too cough up some more money up front to potentially cover the cost if they NRL can’t get the tv monies required to support expansion. It will be interesting to see what Fox/kayo/foxtel do in the near future and if Nine/Stan really want to be a serious streaming contender.
Easts tigers put in a bid, I'm surprised their bid didn't have the financial clout to satisfy PVL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Easts tigers put in a bid, I'm surprised their bid didn't have the financial clout to satisfy PVL.
IF the've decided, AFTER bids were entered, that clubs now need to pay a license fee then none of the bids would have covered it in their submissions.

He's been very cryptic about what the problem is. On one interview he has said not enough investment (investment in what?) in the other he has said none of the business cases stack up (but not any info in what way).
( except PNG because of schoolkids and crime apparently lol)

It was reported a while ago that clubs wanted a guaranteed increase on the grant before theyd say yes to expansion. Its quite possible the Tv has said no more money in this deal and this has left Vlandys floundering on how he will pay the clubs. PNG is covered and cost neutral in effect for a few years thanks to us the tax payer.
Adding club 19 would cost and therefore without Tv money the NRL woudl have to cover any club grant increase as well as the clubs grant and comp running cost increases in this tv deal cycle. That woudl quickly wipe out a big chunk of their current surplus without any increase in revenue.

Sounds to me like Vlandys may have royally screwed this and is now trying to blame the bids.

Last edited:
Thought the same thing, maybe never going to be seriously considered anyway given the Phins` and all.
IF the've decided, AFTER bids were entered, that clubs now need to pay a license fee then none of the bids would have covered it in their submissions.

He's been very cryptic about what the problem is. On one interview he has said not enough investment (investment in what?) in the other he has said none of the business cases stack up (but not any info in what way).
Doubt it`s the need to provide a license fee, esp this late in the piece, but to say the bids were "disappointing...to say the least" that last part for me is the oddest part.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nothing good should be free …

Even the A-League charge license fees
Which is fine, but that should have been up front when bids were called for. You cant add it afterwards! Id suggest if they are now asking for $20mill license fee they wouldnt have got many bids, if any!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thought the same thing, maybe never going to be seriously considered anyway given the Phins` and all.

Doubt it`s the need to provide a license fee, esp this late in the piece, but to say the bids were "disappointing...to say the least" that last part for me is the oddest part.
Yeh either Cumins on the $30mil start up is lying and the WA govt rumoured support isnt there, or Vlandys is Bs'ing to cover his arse after things have gone tits up with tv or the clubs.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Which is fine, but that should have been up front when bids were called for. You cant add it afterwards! Id suggest if they are now asking for $20mill license fee they wouldnt have got many bids, if any!

Yeah … it’s a reasonable point… I have argued with you before that this whole process should have a lot more transparency …

$20mil is cheap … someone mentioned earlier that was the price someone paid for 25 percent of Souths …

I would say $30- 35m

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah … it’s a reasonable point… I have argued with you before that this whole process should have a lot more transparency …

$20mil is cheap … someone mentioned earlier that was the price someone paid for 25 percent of Souths …

I would say $30- 35m
Difference is your buying into an established low risk investment with instant known returns in Souths case.
A new start up costs and is inherently risky of how long till you get any money back.

If you had to spend $30mill on a license and another $20-30mill on set up costs how long do you think it would take to see any sort of return when most established clubs are lucky to make $1.5-2mil a year profit?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Difference is your buying into an established low risk investment with instant known returns in Souths case.
A new start up costs and is inherently risky of how long till you get any money back.

If you had to spend $30mill on a license and another $20-30mill on set up costs how long do you think it would take to see any sort of return when most established clubs are lucky to make $1.5-2mil a year profit?

They will be a one twentieth owner of the NRL moving forward the same as Sourhs … along with sharing in the same NRL profits as them … if the recent sale of the Souths share values them at $80m … ( and that was 3 yrs ago) I think it’s a reasonable price IMO…

I’ll make it clear that this is my opinion only in case anyone might take offence

Matt_CBY

Juniors

( except PNG because of schoolkids and crime apparently lol)

It was reported a while ago that clubs wanted a guaranteed increase on the grant before theyd say yes to expansion. Its quite possible the Tv has said no more money in this deal and this has left Vlandys floundering on how he will pay the clubs. PNG is covered and cost neutral in effect for a few years thanks to us the tax payer.
Adding club 19 would cost and therefore without Tv money the NRL woudl have to cover any club grant increase as well as the clubs grant and comp running cost increases in this tv deal cycle. That woudl quickly wipe out a big chunk of their current surplus without any increase in revenue.

Sounds to me like Vlandys may have royally screwed this and is now trying to blame the bids.
Of course it would sound that way to you.

Latest posts