What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

I feel that it will get sorted this week after PVL has lit a fire on it.

My view is that it would be extremely embarrassing for the WB’s to fall over at this stage.

Nobody wants that.
True...hopefully, he did the same thing with the PNG bid, right before their so-called emergency meeting where there was supposed to be all sorts of sticking points. May have just been before one of the Origin games.
Megaphone diplomacy does seem to be one of PVL negotiating tactics.

Perth Red

Post Whore
True...hopefully, he did the same thing with the PNG bid, right before their so-called emergency meeting where there was supposed to be all sorts of sticking points. May have just been before one of the Origin games.
yeh he did, put pressure on govt to up their offer. Hopefully its just that again and not a massive backflip on going to 20 clubs.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Nope, but the clubs got their $5mill grant increase as it was tied into the start of the new tv deal. The problem with what the nrl is trying to do is bring in clubs mid tv contract So unless tv are willing to renegotiate they don’t have the extra revenue if clubs are demanding a backhander to say yes. They should have sorted that out before we got this far into the process. To now say clubs need to offer more when it wasn’t in the criteria for submission is pathetic. It wouldn’t happen elsewhere in business I can tell you.

unlike afl who has the revenue and can invest $300mill in their next expansion club nrl doesnt and can’t and now finds itself at the whim of the other clubs, yet again.
If anyone thought Perth Red knew what he was talking about previously to this news, they know now he doesn’t.

BuffaloRules

Coach
yeh it'd be much better to be a fan of one of the other 25 clubs who didnt make either GF lol. Been a tremendous year for both my clubs, regardless of the final game outcome.

Geez … you need to go back to that know it all Pommy so and so that we all hate…

i realty hope you get the Western Bears up BTW …. It’s not perfect but nothing about RL is

RedVee

First Grade
Y

Yes, and I remember when Abdo and the Players Union couldnt agree. They got down to the last possible week and then PVL came in and sorted it out in a lunchtime.
It seems he likes a bit of brinkmanship

NRL could enter into a JV with NS Bears and plant the team in Perth. Once viable, sell the 50% stake for perhaps more than $20m, e.g. to Private Equity.

If the owners decide to ditch the team, NRL could always buy the license (sans any liability) for $1.

This is not the preferred option obviously. But if exposure to WA is essential to broader incremental recent and strategy, they can do it alone if the right parties are not there on the group.

Wb1234

Immortal
NRL could enter into a JV with NS Bears and plant the team in Perth. Once viable, sell the 50% stake for perhaps more than $20m, e.g. to Private Equity.

If the owners decide to ditch the team, NRL could always buy the license (sans any liability) for $1.

This is not the preferred option obviously. But if exposure to WA is essential to broader incremental recent and strategy, they can do it alone if the right parties are not there on the group.
Especially if they feel Cummins isn’t the best choice to be running the team

Perth Red

Post Whore

They could, but no one would support it here lol

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Only thing I can say about Cumins is that when PVL mentions or talks about WA NRL team/Western Bears he tends to mention Roger Cook, WA premier and not Cumins.

I’ve found this strange. Maybe PVL just doesn’t like Pistol Pete or maybe he has been buttering WA government for more cash the whole time by specifically mentioning Cook. Who knows. All plausible.

End of the day he is the chair, for now. So hopefully as chair he does the necessary work required to ensure this gets over the line.