What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Wb1234

Immortal
If the Reds weren't axed, I think they would've been pretty competitive on the field.

There was the bones of a good squad there, and with a few pickups from the likes of the Mariners, Rams and Chargers going out of business they could well have made a push in the early 2000s.

One other thing though - if Perth Reds were kept in the competition, we sure as hell wouldn't be sitting here a quarter-century later wondering when Melbourne will be getting an NRL club!
Hey if clubs never went to super league in the first place the growth we see today would’ve been from 1995 on

We had 15 years of news ltd part ownership and they did nothing for the game

Melbourne was next on the arl plan of expansion with wests being killed off

f

“It is understood their bid document did not propose to pay a licence fee despite consortium bosses being told on at least two occasions by senior NRL officials prior to deadline day that they would need to pay a significant amount.”

Cummins is a DOPE

Speaking of dope…

Hungry Comedy GIF by Cocaine Bear

Hungry Comedy GIF by Cocaine Bear

Gobsmacked

Bench
No actually the other way round is better, Perth reds should have not been cut... then we'd have had 30 years of growth in WA by now
Or the cost of a team in WA for the last 30 years has the NRL completely bankrupt , Gold Coast never happened, Dolphins never happened and there's no Souths...
That's also what happens when you carry a failing business for 30 years...

MugaB

Coach
Or the cost of a team in WA for the last 30 years has the NRL completely bankrupt , Gold Coast never happened, Dolphins never happened and there's no Souths...
That's also what happens when you carry a failing business for 30 years...
All correct, we'll never know either way, but regardless where these clubs are now, the broadcast money covers the bulk of their existence, my issues isn't the amount of clubs in the comp or their worthiness, it's if you delete them, you delete the 1st grade pathways and juniors that keep the comp competitive, look at the dumb RU, deleted everything they had to have now under a handful of rep clubs, it's not the answer, especially when we are based in a population size under 30 mil, you wanna know why the all black are good, they have 6 clubs to chose from, wallabies are lucky to have their measly 4, RU is a dying game, but they made it that way by cutting the clubs and creating super clubs ahead of them, we can't do that, it will die slowly to the same effect

Gobsmacked

Bench
All correct, we'll never know either way, but regardless where these clubs are now, the broadcast money covers the bulk of their existence, my issues isn't the amount of clubs in the comp or their worthiness, it's if you delete them, you delete the 1st grade pathways and juniors that keep the comp competitive, look at the dumb RU, deleted everything they had to have now under a handful of rep clubs, it's not the answer, especially when we are based in a population size under 30 mil
Rugby Union also carried Melbourne.. after heavy losses had to fold. Obviously better if we determine the viability before the cash is gone.
After 30 years of population growth and mining booms Perth doesn’t stack up, so I'm rather confident it didn't back then.

At some point we're going to need to invest heavily to expand but while we have opinions to grow the pie first, it's seems like a smart growth strategy.

Pippen94

First Grade
There are only a few that will be winning comps from now on.

The NRL have a few choices. Remove the salary cap completely and let teams die of natural attrition or demote several to NSW Cup.

What does this have to do with Perth bid being a dud?!

Colk

First Grade
That's has nothing to do with expansion, just poorly run teams, not that the teams need to be relegated to a lower division, get better or stay irrelevant, don't blame the good teams for the others inadequacies

Besides there's always a loser even in a closer competition regardless

That simply doesn’t make sense though from a logical standpoint though. Why persist with poorly run or irrelevant teams for the hell of it. It makes the competition weaker by inference.

Pippen94

First Grade
Where did I said "supporters" culling existing clubs doesn't make a competition better, the reason the comp is starting to grow now and get better is coz its not trying to chop off parts of its body.
1st grade clubs, create 1st grade players, you will downgrade the competition over time, if culling them from 1st grade

People want Vlandys to accept a new club with poor finances and also to reduce the number of teams and therefore games. These people have no idea how a professional sports league makes money.

Pippen94

First Grade
I just realised Perth bears are a bigger failure than Perth reds. At least the latter failed after entering comp. Bears didn't even make it to league.

MugaB

Coach
That simply doesn’t make sense though from a logical standpoint though. Why persist with poorly run or irrelevant teams for the hell of it. It makes the competition weaker by inference.
You're mindset is all about the now...
Not about generations ahead... souths are a complete rabble yet they've won the most premierships ever... Dragons are too, yet 11 in a row is still a barr that everyone looks to and admires
You would cull teams, to suit some dumb Andrew john's narrative of too many teams jargon, but forget success is cyclical, and the bulldogs and knights are making finals when a decade ago they were the consistent spooners, there will always be losers, 17 teams 20 teams, 14 teams, it doesn’t matter there will always be losers, brands are the future, we are all territorial, we all follow the Liverpool's, the Lakers, the Swans, the Storm, the Wahs, you don't cull your I.P.s..
Plus content is king, west tigers might be shit now, but they play against the Eels or panthers and people watch

Colk

First Grade
Nothing... dude wants to cull Sydney, and most probably Canberra coz they are all not as good as Storm/Penrith...
Howbout we start with Titans hey?
Expansion yay!

Most definitely my own side. We aren’t winning a competition ever again so I’d be happy with NSW Cup. It helps the broader competition as well.

Btw I am just taking the logic of your argument MugaB to its inevitable conclusion. As you have pointed out IF you want Darwinism (i.e. the strong survive and the weak die) then you have to follow that second point to its inevitable conclusion. You let the weak die off.

Pippen94

First Grade
Most definitely my own side. We aren’t winning a competition ever again so I’d be happy with NSW Cup. It helps the broader competition as well.

Btw I am just taking the logic of your argument MugaB to its inevitable conclusion. As you have pointed out IF you want Darwinism (i.e. the strong survive and the weak die) then you have to follow that second point to its inevitable conclusion. You let the weak die off.

Sour grapes

MugaB

Coach

There's no die in Australia, you can do this in UK or USA through relegation, but the funds don't support it here, ever ask why AFL doesn't cull there degenerate sides... its not nessesary to do it, not when you can use the draft to pass the flag around, its a money making ponsi scheme, Darwinism for RL just means we still back our clubs, but we aren't inclined to give them a leg up, it's a competition, not a charity, get better at getting good

Latest posts