What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Reading between the lines here, I don't think the NRL has been fully transparent, as well as some weird Bears fetish running in the background

V'Landys words indicate the submission for licensing has been underwhelming. This can only happen if it runs like a Dutch auction. Reminds me of those charity/religious run buffets

Eat all you want, pay what you feel

They've put an ambiguous term out there and the WA consortium has run with it, with most likely a low ball amount

Run this parallel with the benchmark being set by PNG, underwritten by a federal government in money printing mode

The addition of the minority owners from Sydney, Paul Smith has a track record of promoting his brands. The king's now have the highest attendances in the NBL. The other Paul is an ex commercial manager in the NRL

The WA consortium mentioned their roles, one of the main terms was "ears on the ground, being a permanent presence in Sydney and close to NRL operations. These were good additions

I suspect the NRL got pissed the WA bid didn't employ someone through North Sydney channels. I like the independence myself

I truly hope this isn't ego or bias preventing what was otherwise a sane expansion program

Perth as #18, PNG as 19, NZ2 as 20, and QLD5 on stand by should PNG fail

No other combination of teams, nor their order of entry made as much sense, especially on the back of two consecutive breakout years for the NRL

If this is a bludgeon to have North Sydney RLFC run a transplanted team out of Perth, this will not end well

Last edited:

Kurt Angle

First Grade

It's how modern sports work.

Funny you'd pick that

There'd be less than 1,000 people in Australia who knows as much about the history of the NFL than me. The 60's AFL for example was what I imagined the guys who planned super league thought how things would unfold

They're not the same. Modern NRL is born out of districts. There is untold equity is these districts for what RL is today, and the feeling is it belongs to more than NRL corporates.

Likewise, as the above post. when the value is inflated by a unrelated to RL diplomacy play and the Commonwealth turning on the printing press, it's hard to feel this is justified

For 17 clubs to assert 100% stakeholding doesn't sit well with the tribal nature of the game

But let's go to the crux of the matter

What specifically are they paying for? Give me a tangible response

Only thing I can think of it is "Western Bears RLFC ltd" is structured to run as a for profit organisation

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
Reading between the lines here, I don't think the NRL has been fully transparent, as well as some weird Bears fetish running in the background

V'Landys words indicate the submission for licensing has been underwhelming. This can only happen if it runs like a Dutch auction. Reminds me of those charity/religious run buffets

Eat all you want, pay what you feel

They've put an ambiguous term out there and the WA consortium has run with it, with most likely a low ball amount

Run this parallel with the benchmark being set by PNG, underwritten by a federal government in money printing mode

The addition of the minority owners from Sydney, Paul Smith has a track record of promoting his brands. The king's now have the highest attendances in the NBL. The other Paul is an ex commercial manager in the NRL

The WA consortium mentioned their roles, one of the main terms was "ears on the ground, being a permanent presence in Sydney and close to NRL operations. These were good additions

I suspect the NRL got pissed the WA bid didn't employ someone through North Sydney channels. I like the independence myself

I truly hope this isn't ego or bias preventing what was otherwise a sane expansion program

Perth as #18, PNG as 19, NZ2 as 20, and QLD5 on stand by should PNG fail

No other combination of teams, nor their order of entry made as much sense, especially on the back of two consecutive breakout years for the NRL

If this is a bludgeon to have North Sydney RLFC run a transplanted team out of Perth, this will not end well

Bid is broke and NRL doesn't want to bail another team out. That's all

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Bid isn't broke at all

The WA bid had a benchmark from their Redcliffe consultant

The NRL had a benchmark in mind from albos $600 million splash

Those two separate benchmarks are miles apart, and a clear lack of effective communication made it such

Pippen94

First Grade
Funny you'd pick that

There'd be less than 1,000 people in Australia who knows as much about the history of the NFL than me. The 60's AFL for example was what I imagined the guys who planned super league thought how things would unfold

They're not the same. Modern NRL is born out of districts. There is untold equity is these districts for what RL is today, and the feeling is it vongs to more than NRL corporates.

Likewise, as the above post. when the value is inflated by a unrelated to RL diplomacy play and the Commonwealth turning on the printing press, it's hard to feel this is justified

For 17 clubs to assert 100% stakeholding doesn't sit well with the tribal nature of the game

But let's go to the crux of the matter

What specifically ate they paying for? Give me a tangible response

Only thing I can think of it is "Western Bears RLFC ltd" is structured to run as a for profit organisation

Are you using ai?!

Pippen94

First Grade
Bid isn't broke at all

The WA bid had a benchmark from their Redcliffe consultant

The NRL had a benchmark in mind from albos $600 million splash

Those two separate benchmarks are miles apart, and a clear lack of effective communication made it such

Dolphins had assets. Perth still coaxing investors months are saying they had many businessmen funding them.
Game doesn't need Paul smith. We already stocked up on crazy!!

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Dolphins had assets. Perth still coaxing investors months are saying they had many businessmen funding them.
Game doesn't need Paul smith. We already stocked up on crazy!!
You can stump up your own $30+ million and decide what level of crazy you want

The Kings are profitable and have an outstanding ownership team

Latest posts